New Update SpyShelter v15 Beta

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm using the pro. I had a lifetime license before, and they were nice enough to update it for v15. The only way, I guess, that you can see which one you should get is to try both. But I really, really, like the pro version.
thanks, what AV you running with it? Is it light??

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
do you recommend SSpro? Is it light?
Well, I can use further my old lifetime license (the annual price doesn't matter).
But you still need your AV beside SpyShelter, so if you use paid versions of Kaspersky, Bitdefender, etc. most protection features are included there.
System impact is very low here, maybe depends on users hardware...

Is it possible to install it under Admin and then switch to SUA and use it? When I logged into SUA (after installing it while being in the Admin account) it didn't seem to start or find SS at all.
I use the new SS 15 Pro (beta) on SUA (Windows 11 / 23H2 latest stable build), no issues at all so far, this beta version seems quite stable.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
There's a new version released, version 15.0.1.485b. No changelog yet.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 231941.png

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
thanks, what AV you running with it? Is it light??

Sorry, I did not see this post. I'm not using any security software other that Windows Security, Sandboxie and Spyshelter 15 pro. I'll never use an AV. It doesn't really make since with this combo, and will only slow everything down.

As always use a good imaging app....just in case.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Sorry, I did not see this post. I'm not using any security software other that Windows Security, Sandboxie and Spyshelter 15 pro. I'll never use an AV. It doesn't really make since with this combo, and will only slow everything down.

As always use a good imaging app....just in case.
ok, are you SS pro version, or standard or free, (not sure what it's called off the top of my head), so what is the primary feature(s) / security you get from SS, detection of keyloggers, and / or encrypting keystrokes...? I ask because I tried it a long time ago, and did not "work" me, ie, more trouble than it was worth, but willing to look again, but want to know where's the focus with SS? thanks.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

15.0.1.485b (12/Feb/2024)​

• We added support for older Windows 10 versions, with our driver, and installer.
  • SpyShelter now handles Trusted Microsoft Publishers in a slightly different way. Please let us know in the forum if you notice any issues.
  • SpyShelter now has a new startup animation.
  • When you turn on "Do not disturb" a counter will appear to let you know how much time is available until that mode ends.
Source: SpyShelter Change List

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
ok, are you SS pro version, or standard or free, (not sure what it's called off the top of my head), so what is the primary feature(s) / security you get from SS, detection of keyloggers, and / or encrypting keystrokes...? I ask because I tried it a long time ago, and did not "work" me, ie, more trouble than it was worth, but willing to look again, but want to know where's the focus with SS? thanks.
Spyshelter has been completely redone. There's really nothing that's the same between the old and the new versions. It's a little more set-and-forget now; the granularity in the rules isn't what it used to be. Some would say that's a good thing, some would say that's a bad thing. Keystroke encryption isn't available yet. But, as this is an early beta, I suspect it'll improve a lot.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 231941.pngScreenshot 2024-02-13 110305.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Spyshelter has been completely redone. There's really nothing that's the same between the old and the new versions. It's a little more set-and-forget now; the granularity in the rules isn't what it used to be. Some would say that's a good thing, some would say that's a bad thing. Keystroke encryption isn't available yet. But, as this is an early beta, I suspect it'll improve a lot.

View attachment 281545View attachment 281546
I get the sense (could be wrong) that it will bump into other security? I think @silversurfer said to run with AV, but then you don't use AV. I will continue to monitor this thread, before I install it it.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I get the sense (could be wrong) that it will bump into other security? I think @silversurfer said to run with AV, but then you don't use AV. I will continue to monitor this thread, before I install it it.
Well, I meant rather it's recommendable for the "average user" to use SpyShelter Pro together with an AV ;)
Advanced users can handle their system even without AV, but I wouldn't recommand that in public forum where most readers are at risk if they use no AV...

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I use SpyShelter Pro with F-Secure Safe.
The main focus of SpyShelter Premium is keystroke encryption and security. It is too chatty for my taste. I stopped using it for this reason. SS Pro is more about application control and security, like Kaspersky does. Easy to forget the app is running. So far it is stable even in beta.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Original SS, by design, never would start in SUA; it had to be used only in Admin account.

This will never be a commercial success. New SpyShelter will eventually die like Zemana HIPS. New developer is taking advices from security geeks that ask for features that only security geeks think are necessary and only a few security geeks can handle. What security geeks want is not economically viable. New SS will be dead before 5 years.

I'm sorry, but what's the point in posting that? Do you think I can do anything about it? Do you want it to fail?

Reactions: simmerskool
Jul 6, 2012
This will never be a commercial success. New SpyShelter will eventually die like Zemana HIPS. New developer is taking advices from security geeks that ask for features that only security geeks think are necessary and only a few security geeks can handle. What security geeks want is not economically viable. New SS will be dead before 5 years.

You are wrong, the new SpyShelter is a very good solution for the average user, for example SpyShelter + Microsoft Defender is a great combo.

Reactions: n8chavez

sypqys

Level 3
Apr 18, 2022

5 stars for this software.. It seems to be good !!!

I thing if I have a promotion, I buy this licence... If not, I stay or switch on free version...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.