oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I gave SS Beta a test drive and encountered some issues:
  • No SS app launch on SUA, except on install
  • Red Xs or some notification on tray icon after launch upon installation. Too small to see.
  • Trying to figure out what the Xs ? referred to and how to respond to them was confusing
  • GUI needs work to make improvements on above issues.
Uninstalled until further notice.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I gave SS Beta a test drive and encountered some issues:
  • No SS app launch on SUA, except on install
  • Red Xs or some notification on tray icon after launch upon installation. Too small to see.
  • Trying to figure out what the Xs ? referred to and how to respond to them was confusing
  • GUI needs work to make improvements on above issues.
Uninstalled until further notice.
Regarding "Red" on tray icon, we have to check the UI at the bottom "Events" on this tab just click on "Mark all as read"

Hopefully, my screenshots help to solve the confusion:

ss#1.png

ss#2.png

ss#3.png

Finally, your SS try icon shouldn't be marked Red
ss#4.png
unless the next unknown file is detected, that happens usually after software updates, but also for other situations.
For example if your AV is MD and after every new signatures update, SS does show again on the tray icon the Red
ss#5.png

ss#md#1.png

Shantir

Level 1
Sep 17, 2023
On the event tab you get a alert when a executable file is ran for the first time or if it has changed its hash in case it was already ran, if a service is installed or removed, same for a driver. You can filter the events by their severity, apps and publishers. Furthermore by clicking on a event you get a summary on the right on the screen an by clicking on the its publisher you can set the publisher's rules for app launch, registry key modification and file access. In my opinion that's lot of info about about executable, services and drivers running on PC so you can fine tuning what is allowed or not.
Spyshelter events1.jpg
Spyshelter events2.jpg
Spyshelter events3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shantir

Level 1
Sep 17, 2023
I asked them if at launch they could add a option for annual subscription (1-device only) as I and probably many others use only 1 PC and not 2 devices. They said that will consider this option. Furthermore if at the page Purchase SpyShelter Pro or Ultimate you click on "Get Pro" button you can submit your e-mail address for a discount coupon when Spyshelter Pro or Ultimate will be released.

Shantir

Level 1
Sep 17, 2023
I fear that this can happen with any software and that no software developer can guarantee 100% that development will continue indefinitely for years to come.

Reactions: oldschool

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@silversurfer @Shantir What about the app not launching on SUA? I'll give it another go round.
I don't know, here SS does start again after several reboot OS since last week, Windows 11 login is always on SUA, I cannot remember what I did that it works here 🤷‍♂️
To be sure, I would have to uninstall and just re-installing SS.

$49 U.S./per yr. is very pricey.
Indeed, very high annual price. I wouldn't pay the full money without discount.
The new owner replaced my lifetime license of the former Spyshelter Firewall, they sent me a new license key of SpyShelter Pro valid for very long time #40

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What is the guarantee that they will not stop development again?

SpyShelter Help
The new owner didn't stop development, they rather worked in 2023 to release this new version 15 Beta. Very long time but better late release than never ;)
Of course, we never know what happens with SpyShelter's userbase in the future, but as said by @Shantir it is the same case even for other software...

... and still unclear (to me) what security SSpro adds for that price. I'm waiting to watch @Shadowra's video test. Its webpage list of features, is not penetrating for whatever reason. Sometimes -- thick as a brick :unsure::unsure::sleep:
I tried to inform you earlier in this thread. Spyshelter's Application Control makes it's different from basic AVs like the free ones Avira, Avast, Bitdefender Free, MD.
If you are using CyberLock and paid for your license, then you don't need Spyshelter, otherwise all would be "overkill".

Regarding the upcoming test by @Shadowra I doubt Spyshelter is able to protect fully the system, manually user intervention is required to block or quarantine threats.
As recommended, Spyshelter should be used together with an basic AV, in combo it's more likely to be protected.
More advanced paid AVs has enough protection features, e.g. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, F-Secure and others...

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I tried to inform you earlier in this thread. Spyshelter's Application Control makes it's different from basic AVs like the free ones Avira, Avast, Bitdefender Free, MD.
If you are using CyberLock and paid for your license, then you don't need Spyshelter, otherwise all would be "overkill".
Thanks for repeating (seriously). I would not install SS with CL. If SS is "amazing" I would put on VM with MD but so far not convinced to spend the time doing that for the free version or pay $49. But I keep reading this thread... :geek:

Jul 6, 2012
SpyShelter product was dying for 20 years before it was sold. Nobody but security geeks use HIPS or default deny. Security geeks are not an economically viable market.

Emsisoft and Zemana HIPS did not die because they were inferior products. They died because almost nobody bought the software.
Where did you get these 20 years?
Zemana died a few years ago, Emsisoft is still alive.I suggest you check out the new version of spyshelter before judgment.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
As mentioned by @oldschool regarding the SS taskbar icon (Windows system tray) and the red mark... there is a related thread in SS forum:
Yes, our own team has noticed this Red icon issue. We have been thinking about making a blue dot for Events, and red only for detected Threats maybe. What is your opinion?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.