Advice Request to ESET or not to ESET?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As an AI, I can provide you with some information to help you make an informed decision.

Windows Defender is the built-in antivirus solution for Windows 10, and it offers a basic level of protection. However, it may not provide the same level of advanced features and comprehensive protection as dedicated antivirus software like ESET.

ESET is a well-known antivirus solution that has been in the market for many years. It offers a wide range of security features, including real-time scanning, web protection, firewall, anti-phishing, and ransomware protection. ESET also has a good track record in detecting and blocking malware.

Here are a few reasons why you might consider getting ESET:

1. Enhanced Protection: ESET's advanced threat detection capabilities can provide an extra layer of security, helping to protect your computer from various types of malware, including zero-day threats.

2. Additional Features: ESET offers features like anti-phishing, firewall, and ransomware protection, which can help safeguard your online activities and personal data.

3. Performance: ESET is known for its lightweight and efficient performance, meaning it won't slow down your computer while providing comprehensive protection.

4. Customer Support: ESET provides reliable customer support, including phone, email, and live chat options, to assist you with any issues or concerns you may have.

Ultimately, the decision to switch from Windows Defender to ESET depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you want more advanced features and a higher level of protection, ESET could be a good choice. However, if you are satisfied with the basic protection provided by Windows Defender and don't feel the need for additional features, you may choose to stick with it.

Reactions: micasayyo

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Since your initial config post would be buried I went by for a look at your postings, it seems you had trouble few years ago with ransomware infection, and needing much advice. How do you feel you fare now years later knowledge wise and habits?
the ramsomware infection was at my business computer, we had VNC and CCTV so probably they went through those ports...

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

the ramsomware infection was at my business computer, we had VNC and CCTV so probably they went through those ports...
Have to apologize for my short hand I'm on mobile at the moment, my point was to ask how you think you are doing habit and knowledge wise these days. You have been a member since 2014 although not a lot of participating, you must have read and learned some here by now. Do you feel your habits are healthy enough to run defender and be fine? See, this is not a question others can answer for you, they can just give opinions, but if they are based off what they are able to do or products they like, it will not be benefit to you. So the best question is just what I asked, do you feel capable with defender?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
See, this is not a question others can answer for you, they can just give opinions, but if they are based off what they are able to do or products they like, it will not be edit you. So the best question is just what I asked, do you feel capable with defender?
I see where you're going with that. Good question. Compared to a flurry of answers of use this or that with these settings etc. Especially with ESET and its possibility of myriad of settings.

Last edited:

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
ESET is a excellent Av, except for the cost
ESET is a very expensive antivirus in my country. I bought a license from Ebay 3 days ago. I downloaded and installed the program. But eset gave an update error. I returned it too. Some eBay-style stores in my country sell cheap licenses. But I don't trust them. Amazon.in also has a cheap license compared to other countries, but it requires a VPN to activate the license.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
ESET is a very expensive antivirus in my country. I bought a license from Ebay 3 days ago. I downloaded and installed the program. But eset gave an update error. I returned it too. Some eBay-style stores in my country sell cheap licenses. But I don't trust them. Amazon.in also has a cheap license compared to other countries, but it requires a VPN to activate the license.
1701322537447.png

Kinguin has cheap licenses, if you dont care where the license keys come from . I use kinguin because of paysafecard works there

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Kinguin , g2a sellers I don't trust. The licenses you will buy from here are blacklisted.
I have over 40 purchases on kinguin , nothing blacklisted. Code you receive binds to your account , so no one is able to use same license. I understand your stance against kinguin, g2a, gamivo etc. where people sell stuff bought with stolen credit cards, thats why licenses are cheap. Most antivirus vendors doesnt accept paysafecards so im kind of forced to buy from these sites

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Im currently using Windows Defender...should i get ESET you think or not?
If you're an advanced user or comfortable with advanced setups, I recommend giving ConfigureDefender (High Profile, the recommended option) a try for Microsoft Defender. Check ConfigureDefender's help files or readme for details.
ConfigureDefender thread: ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10 (ConfigureDefender is compatible with both Win 10 and 11)

For the average user, I recommend giving Kaspersky Free a try. Kaspersky's paid offerings offer effective protection even with the "default" settings, which I recommend if you require one.

ESET's default settings provide adequate protection. Enabling HIPS is the easiest custom config for effective protection, but it requires work or know-how.

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you're an advanced user or comfortable with advanced setups, I recommend giving ConfigureDefender (High Profile, the recommended option) a try for Microsoft Defender. Check ConfigureDefender's help files or readme for details.
ConfigureDefender thread: ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10 (ConfigureDefender is compatible with both Win 10 and 11)

For the average user, I recommend giving Kaspersky Free a try. Kaspersky's paid offerings offer effective protection even with the "default" settings, which I recommend if you require one.

ESET's default settings provide adequate protection. Enabling HIPS is the easiest custom config for effective protection, but it requires work or know-how.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ESET NOD32 HIPS is enabled by default, in fact its info blurb says it is enabled by default, of course, it might need additional tweaks / tweaking ... :unsure:

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
My experience is probably unique and either had to do with user error or something specific to my setup. However, I really liked Eset until I decided to uninstall it (ESET Internet Security). Upon uninstall, the process somehow seriously messed up my firewall settings and I could no longer access the internet with any program or browser. It took quite a bit of time and pain to finally figure out how to fix it. Thankfully, Tweaking.com-Windows Repair ultimately fixed the issues for me.

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
My experience is probably unique and either had to do with user error or something specific to my setup. However, I really liked Eset until I decided to uninstall it (ESET Internet Security). Upon uninstall, the process somehow seriously messed up my firewall settings and I could no longer access the internet with any program or browser. It took quite a bit of time and pain to finally figure out how to fix it. Thankfully, Tweaking.com-Windows Repair ultimately fixed the issues for me.

This happened to me once on a computer I access remotely where for some unknown reason ESET broke after some update. It was back on version 15 I believe.

The firewall got stuck into a deny all state and I was unable to access the machine remotely. All network communication got blocked and I was unable to uninstall EIS. I had to get physical access to the machine and use safe mode to run ESET Uninstaller Tool to finally get rid of it.

That was a one-time incident, though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.