Advice Request to ESET or not to ESET?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Have to apologize for my short hand I'm on mobile at the moment, my point was to ask how you think you are doing habit and knowledge wise these days. You have been a member since 2014 although not a lot of participating, you must have read and learned some here by now. Do you feel your habits are healthy enough to run defender and be fine? See, this is not a question others can answer for you, they can just give opinions, but if they are based off what they are able to do or products they like, it will not be benefit to you. So the best question is just what I asked, do you feel capable with defender?
yeah my habits are safe , that i never hard a trojan virus or anything else on my computer thats online 24/7/365...

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

yeah my habits are safe , that i never hard a trojan virus or anything else on my computer thats online 24/7/365...
Then you will be fine with defender, and because it's part of the ecosystem it will be the best compatibility. No need to spend money and introduce more issues to your system with a 3rd party app.

Hint: in the configuration threads you will find many "built in" security examples if you still feel the need to tighten it down.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My experience is probably unique and either had to do with user error or something specific to my setup. However, I really liked Eset until I decided to uninstall it (ESET Internet Security). Upon uninstall, the process somehow seriously messed up my firewall settings and I could no longer access the internet with any program or browser. It took quite a bit of time and pain to finally figure out how to fix it. Thankfully, Tweaking.com-Windows Repair ultimately fixed the issues for me.

Same with ESET SS Premium after an update, nothing short of full upgrade of win10 with MS tech help would fix the firewall issue. Now "testing" NOD32 using windows firewall (& CyberLock) and so far that combo has been good, except the update to NOD32 17.0.15.0 had "browser protection" error requiring a reinstall of NOD32.

czesetfan

Level 4
Dec 3, 2021
For me ESET yes. (y):)

It really is lightweight, this is evident in almost every test, even from practical experience. (y) 🥇

Also consider ESET's philosophy of balancing - protection, false positive detections and low load. In practice, this means almost zero false detections, but the price for this is slightly more "cautious" protection results. Again in most tests ESET is a few tenths,hundredths of a percent below the top.

This can be well helped by hardening settings, detection levels, HIPS, etc. But this already assumes, as mentioned here above, one's own proactive approach and willingness to learn. 📖🛡️

Finally, beware. NOD32's lifetime seems to be slowly coming to an end. I assume that going forward the lowest basic protection will be the "Internet Security" package.
(y)

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
yes, ultimate version
Eset has started to put a lot of bloat into their products. I think the good old Internet security is the edition you should use. Or NOD 32 antivirus without firewall if you are so inclined. "Premium" and "Ultimate" are bloat filled products with password managers, VPN and something they call "Cleanup of meta data"!And to a horrible price! I think Eset start to be a little to clever for their own good.
Their antivirus and internet security is expensive enough. "Premium" and "Ultimate" is just a way to earn more money by putting unnecessary bloat into the products. Just my 2 cent.

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014

I watched that video, it says that Windows Defender Firewall is not blocking all that crap, the one the guy is recommending is kinda expensive. Any ideas if ESET blocks all that?

• +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.