App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere 2024

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Just one final point. Identity Protection, now renamed Privacy Protection, as I have tried to show in my posts, has been around, and has been an essential component of Prevx/Webroot's security architecture, since around 2009/10. It is a kind of access denial process.

No need to respond. I'm just trying to sum up in two sentences what I said in my above posts.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Question to more knowledgeable Webroot users.
Does Webroot block connection to malicious domains and IP addresses system-wide — when not performed by browser, but by other processes?

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am unable to test at the moment, but maybe this might be it:

Not sure if it requires licensing.
Link (chrome store) claims 5M users, but not mentioned in discussions here about browser extension effectiveness. One post at the store said it's very difficult to uninstall if not impossible

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Link (chrome store) claims 5M users, but not mentioned in discussions here about browser extension effectiveness. One post at the store said it's very difficult to uninstall if not impossible
So from @Shadowra test, tests of other users here including myself and third-party tests, it has become evident that malware protection is iffy at best, not in line with other top names.

From the post of @Practical Response it has become evident that Webroot can only block malicious websites in browser, through extension and system-wide through DNS filtering — meaning if malware uses an IP address for C&C server, Webroot will be unable to block the connection. DNS resolution will be bypassed, hence the block as well.

From @Jonny Quest and @simmerskool posts regarding the extension, that isn’t fantastic either, users are complaining and the overall rating is very low.

All in all, users are better off looking for protection elsewhere.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
So from @Shadowra test, tests of other users here including myself and third-party tests, it has become evident that malware protection is iffy at best, not in line with other top names.

From the post of @Practical Response it has become evident that Webroot can only block malicious websites in browser, through extension and system-wide through DNS filtering — meaning if malware uses an IP address for C&C server, Webroot will be unable to block the connection. DNS resolution will be bypassed, hence the block as well.

From @Jonny Quest and @simmerskool posts regarding the extension, that isn’t fantastic either, users are complaining and the overall rating is very low.

All in all, users are better off looking for protection elsewhere.
That was my assessment, too, after reading the posts and the main review. Of an AV that installs a "light" version without the user first knowing they're supposed to go on an Easter egg hunt to enable the better protection settings? You know, like when you install Kaspersky, Bitdefender etc. even my beloved simple F-Secure that have modules and security settings that aren't enabled by default? No thanks, let alone my last experience with Webroot was two BSOD and was unceremoniously uninstalled, for life. IMO, as in Star Wars parlance, "move along, there's nothing to see here".

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
user first knowing they're supposed to go on an Easter egg hunt to enable the better protection settings?
There is no hunt, Webroot for years has been heavily invested in reputation-based detection mechanisms (Infrared), similarly to Symantec/Norton Insight and there is a maximum setting that serves as a default-deny. This setting will eventually block 100% of malware in PEEXE formats and for many, it may be enough. But it may produce many FPs and will not take care of other forms of malware — whether or not one will be affected by such malware depends on many factors, including user behaviour.
Note: this will improve soon.

Second area of expertise with Webroot is behavioural blocking — there are almost no settings there. Relying too much on behavioural blocking à-la Sophos InterceptX is a rather dangerous approach, in many cases by the time malware is blocked, it has already snatched credentials. Yes, there is the Privacy Protection, but that is centred around reputation as well, so if there is code injection or LOLBin abuse, that will fail.

Third area of expertise at Webroot is anti-phishing — they do use domain/IP intelligence + real time page analysis to block unknown phishing pages and they do a good job. Again, there are no settings there to configure.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you want to have a laugh, just watch this. Until the end...
well I agreed with this "expert" about MD (& not trusting tier lists). If I heard him correctly, he had good experience with Webroot business. Quick check has 5 license minimum for $150. Like @Jonny Quest once upon a time I had a BAD experience with Webroot -- if I got a copy for free I might put it on disposable pc. One other surprising thing, system requirements for VMware Platform: VMware® Workstation 9.0 and older...?? Huh? Current VMware Workstation is 17.xx @Shadowra what platform did you run your test on?

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
well I agreed with this "expert" about MD (& not trusting tier lists). If I heard him correctly, he had good experience with Webroot business. Quick check has 5 license minimum for $150. Like @Jonny Quest once upon a time I had a BAD experience with Webroot -- if I got a copy for free I might put it on disposable pc. One other surprising thing, system requirements for VMware Platform: VMware® Workstation 9.0 and older...?? Huh? Current VMware Workstation is 17.xx @Shadowra what platform did you run your test on?

VMware Workstation v17.5.1

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
no wonder WR failed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I tested on real pc and it still failed… if you browse my statuses here, you are actually gonna see when and how… I will publish a very detailed overview of Webroot technologies and settings very soon, but I’ve sent a message that I want to be a beta tester.
To eliminate “settings weren’t changed, features weren’t released, time wasn’t given”.

Let me get my hands on Evasion Shield and Foreign Code Shield and we’ll see. Without these shields it will be like testing a pillow for bullet resistance. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I tested on real pc and it still failed… if you browse my statuses here, you are actually gonna see when and how… I will publish a very detailed overview of Webroot technologies and settings very soon, but I’ve sent a message that I want to be a beta tester.
To eliminate “settings weren’t changed, features weren’t released, time wasn’t given”.

Let me get my hands on Evasion Shield and Foreign Code Shield and we’ll see. Without these shields it will be like testing a pillow for bullet resistance. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
So further to this post I have to announce that I will not be able to test the beta as anytime soon. I registered on the Webroot forum and commented on a post that stated Webroot UI is now tired and needs updating. I mentioned that the green, gradient-filled circle with checkmark is very old, it was modern in the days of Norton 360 and TuneUP Utilities 2010.
Today, I am finding myself banned from the Webroot community — I am a paying user as well.

Webroot is not welcoming user feedback. Another Comodo (paid one). That explains a lot. In contrast, I provided 3-4 recommendations to Check Point and they were all implemented in months.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.