App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere CE 2023

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Nothing :/
Between Panda and Webroot, Webroot will win as it has at least *some* web blocking (where on Panda it’s so weak it’s non-existent) as well as Webroot offers some settings and aggressiveness levels. Webroot is getting occasional updates as opposed to Panda that looks like a dead project. But they are both very, very, very bad. And for paid products (panda has paid versions too) they are a disgrace.

electroplate

Apr 7, 2022
Between Panda and Webroot, Webroot will win as it has at least *some* web blocking (where on Panda it’s so weak it’s non-existent) as well as Webroot offers some settings and aggressiveness levels. Webroot is getting occasional updates as opposed to Panda that looks like a dead project. But they are both very, very, very bad. And for paid products (panda has paid versions too) they are a disgrace.
Nothing :/
very depressing . is there any point in testing the same malwares on another av? i am no expert nor a fanboy but such a catastrophic failure must be retested for comparison. i cannot do this but i trust those who can and do so for our benefit . i use eset .

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
very depressing . is there any point in testing the same malwares on another av? i am no expert nor a fanboy but such a catastrophic failure must be retested for comparison. i cannot do this but i trust those who can and do so for our benefit . i use eset .
From curiosity point of view it may be interesting but this set has now become a bit old (the malware is now 2-3 days). The test will have to be repeated for Webroot and then performed with others so that nobody has an unfair advantage. I doubt quality solutions like Kaspersky, Norton, Bitdefender, Avast, Check Point and others will produce the same outcome. Maybe they won’t come out with a clean sheet, but definitely they won’t miss that much. Webroot has 0 protection against scripts as they reserve the Evasion Shield for Webroot Endpoint Protection.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
If Webroot is such a lousy product, why do posters waste so much time posting about it here, especially as there is no-one to convince as you all heartily agree with each other?

Anyway, Prevx/Webroot has (so far and to the best of my knowledge) kept my devices clean for almost 17 years.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
If Webroot is such a lousy product, why do posters waste so much time posting about it here, especially as there is no-one to convince as you all heartily agree with each other?

Anyway, Prevx/Webroot has (so far and to the best of my knowledge) kept my devices clean for almost 17 years.

My tests are not meant to convince someone, but to show and assist in choosing their protection. Unfortunately, Webroot has consistently failed in my tests and in other tests on MalwareTips as well. If you like this product and especially if you feel secure with it, I'm happy for you :)
I used to use PrevX as well because it was the first to harness the power of the Cloud for machine protection. But when Webroot acquired it, the product lost its excellence and is unfortunately no longer as effective as before.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
But when Webroot acquired it, the product lost its excellence and is unfortunately no longer as effective as before
Webroot acquired PrevX, then Carbonite acquired Webroot and finally, OpenText acquired Carbonite. From there, one can conclude that Webroot is an asset that’s less than successful. Webroot UI and main features haven’t been updated in minimum 10 years.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So that people can make informed choices when choosing an antivirus. Hopefully after seeing tests like this they will stay far away from Webroot. I have no hate for Webroot, but it makes no sense to use a mediocre antivirus, when there are much better options, even for free, that like Webroot probably won't slow down their computer, but will provide significantly better protection. I don't know why you would say "if," when tests like this clearly demonstrate that it does not provide good protection.

If your devices stay clean, it's most likely because you are not click happy and are careful what files you open. If you do that, it significantly reduces the chance of infection, no matter what antivirus you use. If would even go so far as to say that, you're probably less likely to get infected if you a subpar antivirus, but are careful what files you open, than if you use a good one and open random email attachments and uses cracked software, etc.

I will ask you this. In recent years, how often has Webroot protected your computer by quarantining threats, that you otherwise would have opened? When I say threats, I mean actual malware, rather than a harmless PUP you might download. Or are you like many of us here, just not encountering malware.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023

I am to blame. I asked @Shadowra to test it. I suffered from morbid curiosity like the one where you see two trains approaching each other all at the same track. They are going way to fast to stop and you know that they will collide with each other. And there right between them is a bus full of newborns being transported to maternity ward. You know it will be horrible but you just can't look away. Or like the upcoming US 2024 presidential debate, you know in the heart of hearts that it will be a crap show and yet you can't look away.

Panda antivirus is at least named properly. It's named after a bear that if it wasn't for humans it would most likely gone extinct ages ago. I mean the main diet for that bear is... wait for it... bamboo shoots.... the nutrition value of a bamboo shoot is that of a celery. You basically loose weight by eating it.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Webroot acquired PrevX, then Carbonite acquired Webroot and finally, OpenText acquired Carbonite. From there, one can conclude that Webroot is an asset that’s less than successful. Webroot UI and main features haven’t been updated in minimum 10 years.
At the time when Webroot acquired Prevex the people in the top echelon of Webroot were former spooks. At that time it was still worth it's salt. But they left the sinking ship few acquisitions ago.

I am afraid that hitman pro has gone the same way.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@Shadowra Today I went to watch your video. Wow beautiful video, beautiful music, always new, never are replayed, you are very dynamic in the videos, always with elegant soundtracks, nice to listen. It started to present bugs in the video of green screen flashing, at first I thought it was my monitor lol, I thought that one no, after I saw this information below the video. "NB: During the false crack test, you may see a green screen. I apologize, it's due to an H.265 codec I'm testing that crashed during editing."I always read this info below the video after I watch it, if not it loses the fun if I read it before watching. Btw Thank you very much for the test @Shadowra(y) 💯🏆
How funny, see guys @Shadowra enjoyed the new X the transitions in the video looks like this, Musk would love it if he watched this video lol :love: :ROFLMAO:
Webroot SecureAnywhere CE 2023.jpg

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
On my Father's computer it still has Webroot installed, but listen to this guys, which is quite ironic @Trident @Shadowra and you too @Muddy7 Webroot misses silly malware like this one @shadorra quoted from 2005, but pretty much every sample of thieving malware Webroot detected statically and Avs Bitdefender, Ms Defender, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security NextGen, etc failed, were unable to detect except kaspersky which detected almost all of them, and BD was only able to detect two of them even then when run. How is this possible? Did Webroot already have signature for these thieving malware? I know these are more specific malware, this one I don't understand, if someone can explain why, explain it to me. I do not use Webroot, more I was curious and downloaded the samples on my father's computer so, I extracted the compressed file of the samples Webroot detected, what I hate about Webroot all malware he detects, he makes a scan, I do not consider as AV, well at least it was not, I think I would classify as Anti-Malware, reminds a little malwarebytes.😕

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
On my Father's computer it still has Webroot installed, but listen to this guys, which is quite ironic @Trident @Shadowra and you too @Muddy7 Webroot misses silly malware like this one @shadorra quoted from 2005, but pretty much every sample of thieving malware Webroot detected statically and Avs Bitdefender, Ms Defender, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security NextGen, etc failed, were unable to detect except kaspersky which detected almost all of them, and BD was only able to detect two of them even then when run. How is this possible? Did Webroot already have signature for these thieving malware? I know these are more specific malware, this one I don't understand, if someone can explain why, explain it to me. I do not use Webroot, more I was curious and downloaded the samples on my father's computer so, I extracted the compressed file of the samples Webroot detected, what I hate about Webroot all malware he detects, he makes a scan, I do not consider as AV, well at least it was not, I think I would classify as Anti-Malware, reminds a little malwarebytes.😕
Your dad is trolling you. He has secretly hacked into your PC and tested his collection of malware that Webroot detects against your defenses. Then he put on his clueless voice and called you to help him with "oh my PC is acting up again.". Then he just watched you from the distance as you helplessly had to agree that Webroot is indeed a superior product. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
@Shadowra Today I went to watch your video. Wow beautiful video, beautiful music, always new, never are replayed, you are very dynamic in the videos, always with elegant soundtracks, nice to listen. It started to present bugs in the video of green screen flashing, at first I thought it was my monitor lol, I thought that one no, after I saw this information below the video. "NB: During the false crack test, you may see a green screen. I apologize, it's due to an H.265 codec I'm testing that crashed during editing."I always read this info below the video after I watch it, if not it loses the fun if I read it before watching. Btw Thank you very much for the test @Shadowra(y) 💯🏆
How funny, see guys @Shadowra enjoyed the new X the transitions in the video looks like this, Musk would love it if he watched this video lol :love: :ROFLMAO:
Musk should trademark and patent the letter "X" just like that dude in Australia who patented the wheel.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Did Webroot already have signature for these thieving malware?
Webroot uses hardly any signatures at all.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Sounds like a reasonable and credible story 😂 .
If your devices stay clean, it's most likely because you are not click happy and are careful what files you open.
I can only conclude Roger that, in all our protracted exchanges, you've never taken the blindest bit of notice to anything I've ever said. Never mind! It's not the first time I've come across this kind of behaviour... Actually it's a sign of something pretty disturbing, but I'll let you figure that one out for yourself ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: piquiteco

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
My tests are not meant to convince someone, but to show and assist in choosing their protection.
My comment was not so much aimed at you but at all the posters here who invest so much energy and time in trashing Weboot despite the fact that they know that they are preaching here to the converted! It's almost as if they're not entirely convinced of their arguments :unsure: .
But when Webroot acquired it, the product lost its excellence and is unfortunately no longer as effective as before.
IMHO the only thing that has changed is that Prevx resolutely and consistently refused to participate in any traditional AV tests, openly admitting in its forums that those tests would trash its product. Webroot (mistakenly in my view) took a different approach.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I can only conclude Roger that, in all our protracted exchanges, you've never taken the blindest bit of notice to anything I've ever said. Never mind! It's not the first time I've come across this kind of behaviour... Actually it's a sign of something pretty disturbing, but I'll let you figure that one out for yourself ;).
Perhaps you would care to refresh my memory? I do take notice of what people say - including you, but my memory is absolutely terrible. I have trouble remembering things that most people who claim to have a bad memory would be able to remember. So it's only a sign that I'm absolutely hopeless at remembering things and nothing more than that.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Because this is a forum and it is the fashion on forums like this to beat a dead horse.

Everybody that routinely visits these kinds of forums knows Webroot's protection capabilities are certainly not industry leading.

You cannot claim that Webroot, or any other security software for that matter, has kept your devices clean unless you can confirm that malware was introduced to those devices or exploits happened, and then Webroot fully protected the system.

I have used Windows Defender since the beginning, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that, and never encountered an infection or exploit - because I never downloaded malware and always kept my software up-to-date and without stupidly insecure configurations. So I cannot say that either protected my systems over 20 years. My security conscious behaviors are what protected my systems.

From what you posited, you protected your devices. Not Webroot.
That is the main reason why I am always in the search for the best defenses since I go waddling into the depths of the internet like Anne Frank wearing tap shoes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.