App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere CE 2023

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Perhaps you would care to refresh my memory?
No, I'm not going to repeat for the umpteenth time what I incessantly told you, and over numerous separate exchanges of posts one of which was very protracted, but all of which you seemed to just not hear (not the same as forgetfulness and I agree we all alas have our shortcomings myself included ;) ). As a result, the conversation went round and round in circles which frankly wore me out. Your latest post (above) finally opened my eyes to what was actually going on. You can of course go back to those posts on Wilders by using their Search function and, as I said in my above post, "figure it out for yourself".
...that Webroot, or any other security software for that matter, has kept your devices clean...
Yes, Prevx then Webroot has quarantined threats and malware on my devices on numerous occasions in the last 17 years. and to the best of my knowledge my devices have remained completely clean.* That was most definitely and most categorically NOT the case with numerous AVs — all well-known household names and all of which score just as well if not (often) much better on tests than Webroot — I tried before then. Quite the contrary.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
* I used to use online scanners such as Kaspersky and Bitdefender every four or so months to double-check for infections, but since each time my devices were reported as squeaky clean, after a while I no longer bothered.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
* I used to use online scanners such as Kaspersky and Bitdefender every four or so months to double-check for infections, but since each time my devices were reported as squeaky clean, after a while I no longer bothered.
I will say this, all malware testers use on-demand scanners to check that there is no leftover, or any remaining malware when they are done testing. (y)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The typical home user profile of those that get infected:
These are stereotypes. Everyone can get infected.

Every 4 or so months is not sufficient, webroot may still have missed threats and they may have compromised your system. By the time you scan with Bitdefender and Kaspersky, they may even have self-destroyed. In this case it will look like your system is clean but your information has been compromised.

If Webroot kept you safe, then good for you. For many other people, Webroot fails. It is a rather expensive product, yet it does worse job than the free Avast and Kaspersky. I don’t see any reason why a user should pay and settle for mediocrity.

That was most definitely and most categorically NOT the case with numerous AVs — all well-known household names and all of which score just as well if not (often) much better on tests than Webroot — I tried before then. Quite the contrary.
Do you have any concrete experiences and details to share about the products, and malware missed? Because to me, it just looks like a pointless rant. If you have always used Webroot (I am assuming you got your first computer about 17 years ago), when did you have time to use and experience other products?

Last edited:

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
@Trident

For gawd's sake! This is a real timehog. Symantec, Trend Micro (was the latter that one? At the time, it had a syringe as a logo) ... Basically those that were recommended to me by my computer man. This is going back a long way now as it was pre-Nov 2006. But I do remember those two, and they both (and the others) proved pretty damn useless to me.

Anyway, I'm hopefully signing off now.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@Trident

For gawd's sake! This is a real timehog. Symantec, Trend Micro (was the latter that one? At the time, it had a syringe as a logo) ... Basically those that were recommended to me by my computer man. This is going back a long way now as it was pre-Nov 2006. But I do remember those two, and they both proved pretty damn useless to me.

Anyway, I'm hopefully signing off now.
It was Trend Micro PC Cillin with the syringe logo, yeah. It is not extremely great today either. Others have evolved. Trend Micro and Webroot not so much.

You can sign off at any time, it’s not like we’ve hijacked your browser and keep you signed in… you just love arguing 😉

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Who said webroot has no subscription? just because it doesn't download anything, doesn't mean it has no subscription, Webroot searches the cloud as far as I know.
Webroot does have signatures, I tried it recently and saw a folder with them. They were about 200MB if I am not mistaken. Other than that, it always prioritises heuristics/ML and cloud lookups.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
you just love arguing 😉
Yeah, but if I don't answer questions like you put (allegedly unsupported claims regarding previous AVs used, not prepared to undergo a 24-hour timed AV malware test), I'm in danger of being labelled a "troll". And yeah, also because I'm plain stubborn when it comes to knowing something to be so even when it is an extreme minority point of view (at least, an extreme minority point of view on this forum). I'm not like that "octaves" physicist (and of course unlike him I'm just a poor humble layman in terms of expertise in this domain) who was howled down by his colleagues and was personally crushed as a result (John Newlands).

You might do well to pay more attention to @piquiteco's father's device. That man's story is eerily similar to mine. And to many others'.

Anyway, I'll have to sign out at some point 😂 ...

EDIT: Oh and btw I got my first computer in 1988 (Amstrad PC 1640).

Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Trend Micro (was the latter that one? At the time, it had a syringe as a logo) ... Basically those that were recommended to me by my computer man. This is going back a long way now as it was pre-Nov 2006.
Trend Micro is an old AV, formerly called PC Cillin, I was at a friend's house around 1998/1999 that his daughter bought a computer, and it came with Windows 98 and came with PC-Cillin CD, and on the cover of the CD had a drawing of a 💉.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@Muddy7 It was just like this see the image in the spoiler had to boot the floppy disk 5¼ I'll stop here... because I'm going off topic about webroot. :oops:
1692028976913.png

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I think everything has been said, and I'm considering asking the moderation to close this topic, and especially for me to decline any testing on Webroot considering all the off-topic discussions I'm seeing... I welcome all opinions, but for a discussion about usage, I would have appreciated a separate thread, because, sorry, but it's polluting my topic. Peace, Shadowra.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
you've been messing with computers longer than I have
Yeah, but I'm none the wiser for it :ROFLMAO:!! It came bundled with a suite of apps that kinda worked and was named Ability (perhaps more aptly nicknamed disAbility by the guy who helped install the device for me) and something called Shell or something like that (a kind of extrremely antediluvian ancestor of Windows). It had 2 floppy drives which ran the thing, one of which I later exchanged for a hard disk— 32MB if I recall correctly, and that seemed humungously huge in those days!!!! Those were the days.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.