CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
1530810058_shutup10.jpg

O&O ShutUp10 a small portable utility that provides access to almost 50 privacy-related tweaks, most of them hidden or not easily accessible to the average computer users. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated. Using ShutUp10 you can easily disable Windows Defender, turn off telemetry, disable peer-to-peer updates, turn off Wi-Fi Sense, disable automatic Windows updates, turn off and reset Cortana and more.

ShutUp10 allows you to create a System Restore point before you apply any changes, so that you can revert your system at any time if you run into problems.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

О&O ShutUp10 1.6.1398 changelog:
  • NEW: Disable app access to documents (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • NEW: Disable app access to images (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • NEW: Disable app access to videos (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • NEW: Disable app access to the file system (starting from Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803)
  • FIX: Use of the factory settings sporadically stopped working
  • FIX: Incorrect display of the Windows 10 Edition when Enterprise is installed and licensed for Pro
  • User interface adapted
  • Bug Fixes: Various small bug fixes
  • Available in English, German, French, Italian and Russian
Download: О&O ShutUp10 1.6.13981

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Does it tell you what data sharing and telemetry options kill windows defenders cloud protection? :emoji_fearful: I always wonder about that.:unsure:

Reactions: Weebarra

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Does it read current settings correctly? Because I already made a bunch of changes to windows. :emoji_grimacing:

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Is there a way to find out what it actually does?
For example I have all Sensor related services and the geolocation service deactivated - yet it shows an option for "Sensors for locating the system and its orientation disabled" that can be found under "services" as not enabled.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
For example I have all Sensor related services and the geolocation service deactivated - yet it shows an option for "Sensors for locating the system and its orientation disabled" that can be found under "services" as not enabled.
Now that is a tricky one, and I must admit that I am not sure about that.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

I believe the only one that 100% can answer that and other " deeper " questions is O&O Software. Try here if you like : Contact O&O Software

I

illumination

It is pretty straight forward.

Some are enabled by default, in "Action" at the top, drop down, the option to Apply Recommended settings can be taken, then what is left to chose from, can be carefully examined to decide if left disabled or enable.

You can use utilities whether 3rd party or built in to check the system to view what O&O has accomplished.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I switched that setting, but neither ERP nor ReHIPS complained about it doing anything. So I used Procmon: :rolleyes:
It either creates or deletes a DWORD key in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors\" named "DisableSensors" with value 1. I may have misinterpreted "location services" to mean actual windows services. :oops:

I don't want to do this for every setting manually. How come there is no documentation? :mad:
I can't look at it deeper right now.

I

illumination

I switched that setting, but neither ERP nor ReHIPS complained about it doing anything. So I used Procmon: :rolleyes:
It either creates or deletes a DWORD key in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors\" named "DisableSensors" with value 1. I may have misinterpreted "location services" to mean actual windows services. :oops:

I don't want to do this for every setting manually. How come there is no documentation? :mad:
I can't look at it deeper right now.
Next time, may i recommend something like regshot, create a snapshot, apply all changes and compare. Many system monitoring tools for file, reg ect.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Ah yea? How do I know O&O only does registry changes? Some things sound more intrusive.
This is way too much work for a tool that has all the answers right in there in form of commands that are obviously all neatly ordered somewhere on a computer in O&O, just not publicly visible. There is no reason to not make them public.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.