0 Day Protection For Android?

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I will be installing apps that are not from the play store and I plan to root my phone. The only "0 day" security I can think of is a firewall. Is there anything else I can use for 0 day protection? (Yes, I will also have an antivirus, but to my knowledge, every antivirus for android is only signature based)

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I don't think that there is anything else... just remember what a behavior blocker would do to your battery lifetime...

Very true... I got an idea, we can all lug around a bag with a giant battery in it so the battery lasts as long. Sound convenient? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Weebarra

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Not a security app but Xprivacy can help by acting like software restriction policy, only if supported by OS version.
There's also Sandbox app called Island by the creator of Greenify. I've never used it though.

Oh yeah... Almost forgot about xprivacy

I searched for a sansboxing app called "island" but I can't seem to find anything. Do you have a link to it? Thanks in advance...

I will be installing apps that are not from the play store and I plan to root my phone. The only "0 day" security I can think of is a firewall. Is there anything else I can use for 0 day protection? (Yes, I will also have an antivirus, but to my knowledge, every antivirus for android is only signature based)

There is no effective "zero-day" protection for Android devices. Android device users who have a clue about security are the most effective defense - and it depends upon how much on their game the user is.

D

Deleted member 65228

@Lockdown That actually sounds amazing. If it is being aimed at Home users for phone as opposed to business employees of companies then I will probably use it considering I never install new apps from what I currently have or download, just browse and use what I already have... So could be very convenient

@Lockdown That actually sounds amazing. If it is being aimed at Home users for phone as opposed to business employees of companies then I will probably use it considering I never install new apps from what I currently have or download, just browse and use what I already have... So could be very convenient

Fortunately and thankfully there is no such thing as home user versus Admin on mobile devices.

Nor home user versus Enterprise.

We're all lumped together - "users."

Last edited by a moderator:

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
By the way, AppGuard LLC is developing an Android version of AppGuard - not to be confused with the SRT AppGuard - which apparently ripped off our product's name.

You need to lock down the phone to protect it.
This app is a must have for me because i dont download stuff regulary so i think its ideal
"Lock the door and don't let anyone inside"

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you never install new apps, what risks do you face?
Please pardon the stupid question, but I don't even own a smartphone, so I guess my ignorance is forgivable...

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
The latest version of LineageOS with PrivacyGuard enabled and the latest security updates should suffice. Google Playstore comes with Google Play Protect preinstalled which is Google's antivirus that scans your phone and new apps regularly. I also like the concept behind IntelliAV.

Intelligent Anti-Virus - Android Apps on Google Play

I also like Norton Halt. It allows you to check if you are protected against the latest vulnerabilities.

Norton Halt exploit defender - Android Apps on Google Play

I have yet to hear of a new and updated OS being hit by malware.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
The latest version of LineageOS with PrivacyGuard enabled and the latest security updates should suffice. Google Playstore comes with Google Play Protect preinstalled which is Google's antivirus that scans your phone and new apps regularly. I also like the concept behind IntelliAV.

Intelligent Anti-Virus - Android Apps on Google Play
Is there any way to install Privacy Guard without installing a custom ROM?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Is there any way to install Privacy Guard without installing a custom ROM?
I don't think so. PrivacyGuard was invented by the CyanogenMod/LineageOS team and it is deeply integrated. Unless you really love your ROM, I recommend switching to any Lineage-based ROM. Most of the ROMs on XDA Developer are either based on the OEM image or Lineage based.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I don't think so. PrivacyGuard was invented by the CyanogenMod/LineageOS team and it is deeply integrated. Unless you really love your ROM, I recommend switching to any Lineage-based ROM. Most of the ROMs on XDA Developer are either based on the OEM image or Lineage based.
Nah, really don't want the hassle of installing custom ROM and managing it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.