12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
RE:12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

My goodness. It's lighter than many standalone AVs. It's a great way to get exceptional detection capabilities. Of course this is interesting for people interested in high detection rates. Nowhere did I say, "this is the ultimate bullet-proof system."

And frankly, to say that "if you know where to click, you won't get infected," is valid for this trio as well as for any standalone or combo AV.

You're welcome.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
RE: 12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

Wow. Umm. Wow. No need for me to say what others have already pointed out here. Too much but again, that's your personal preference! :D You have a system with 2 GB RAM, dude. And all that?

I have 8 GB RAM and I just run one standalone AV (ESET) which is known to be low on footprint. xD Maybe you got lucky. Cheers.

You sound like you know quite a lot about malware and have above average awareness. So much security would make sense if you were really stupid or if you were working with the government or something like that. You do none of that, "Exposure to malware: Medium" What exactly do you do on your system, dude? I really want to know.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
RE: 12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

With those many AV's i would rather test, which is the first AV to detect a Virus :p

Are you serious with that set up, try removing them after a week or so and you will feel like a 100 kilos lighter :p even though you are not feeling this as of yet.

Umbra has a successor !! MT was and will never be free from paranoids, they just keep getting better and better ;)

P.S. Please don't feel offended, just a friendly comment :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

Jaspion said:
BoraMurdar said:
I suggest you to add AVG, Kaspersky and PC Tools, you are not protected enough :D

I suspect this combo wouldn't retain it's characteristic lightness on system resources if I did that, I'm afraid.

But if you want VirusTotal's 48+ engines as a lightweight real-time companion you might want to check Crystal Security.

Golden rule, don't use multiple antiviruses...sooner or later they will kill each other trying to kill viruses, I am tired telling this line :/
And of course, I was sarcastic about avg, kaspersky and pc tools :D

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

Well, Kingsoft and Baidu claim to be compatible with other AVs, so I tested it and so far it's true. Yeah, I get by with 2 GB of RAM, and usually I can do everything with no problems. (I take care of how much RAM is in use, etc. Of course I plan to get a better PC.) How many AVs I've seen that use much more RAM and slow down the PC much more on their own than this combo.

Of course it would be faster without the AVs. This is so obvious it's not worth saying. The point is that this setup is quite light. Bitdefender Free, for example, apparently slowed the PC more than this combo.

What I do? Nothing much. But occasionally malware arrives via mail. I know what it is without opening, but I like to see the AV working. My family, for example, doesn't know how to identify threats so quickly, so I like to give them the highest protection possible. This combo catches most "zero-day" malware without leaving files to the ultimate defense of HIPS/sandbox. For such less savvy users, I recommend maybe leaving Baidu out for now, or using it with Low heuristics as in the spoilers, because it's quite FP-happy. But the other AVs produce few FPs, so you can leave them to automatically quarantine files safely.

If it's not slowing you down, it's not overkill. But that's just me.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012

Ram is not an indicator whether an AV or AVs are light or not.

Obviously removing something or the other will always make system light, but my point was how much light, sometimes removing an AV will make your system faster by 10% or so, while in other case it can be upto 50%.

I would repeat what @Earth says "dont be scared of your system"

If the primary reason of your set up is how your family uses it, than a lot can be helped, i m sure you know about sandboxie/rollbackrx/virtualbox/vmware using any of them can solve your problem.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012

Something more for you to check, you think your system is quite fast,
try executing an installation file, open chrome with 6-7 tabs, execute some applications with task manager showing up,
you will probably realize the problem, any of the actions will spike up your cpu usage for a while.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011

I am trying right now:

> 360 Internet Security
> Baidu Antivirus
> Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware
> Trojan Hunter
> Hitman Pro

Also, I am Epic Browser with Hitman Pro add on!

No, slow down at all. Getting ready to scan with Baidu!
Seem really nice!

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

Yeah, some people come here to say "your system is slow," but I'm the one using my system and it's not slow at all. I can open as many Firefox/Chrome tabs as I want (only limited by my modest RAM available). With as many programs loading on startup as I have and a boot of 30 seconds, I have to say this combo doesn't slow down the PC at all.

I like this setup, this is something I mentioned before. Of course I know about Sandboxie and other solutions, in fact I do employ other solutions such as backup etc. I'm not discussing them here in length, this thread is about this antivirus trio or quartet (with Comodo).

Moose said:
I am trying right now:

> 360 Internet Security
> Baidu Antivirus
> Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware
> Trojan Hunter
> Hitman Pro

Also, I am Epic Browser with Hitman Pro add on!

No, slow down at all. Getting ready to scan with Baidu!
Seem really nice!

Cool, thanks for sharing.

I

illumination

I really can not say much that others have already said.. Although i will add, as a personal note, that i personally, would never run any security made by "Chinese".. It is hard to trust anything coming out of that country "software" wise..

As far as running that many AV's, its a "to each their own" type thing, you would not catch me doing though.. Literally no need to... "this coming from a guy that fully believe's in layered security" , should tell you, it's a little much..

I prefer prevention over detection any day.. ;)

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

For those distrustful of Chinese software: what exactly, in practice, could be the danger they pose?

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

watch out for 360 after i uninstall it with oibit uninstaller there was still some stuff left like in my tray it kept updating the virus definitions i had to do a system recovery thank god it worked im just saying becareful with 360 ok btw a big WOOW on your security you now can compete with fort knoxs lmao

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

Ok. Thanks. Like I said before, I want to know as much as the next guy, so if it's good or bad, it's in the interest of users and serious companies that we discuss this here.

Initially I'd say most likely this is due to bugged programming, rather than malicious programming.

I

illumination

Jaspion said:
For those distrustful of Chinese software: what exactly, in practice, could be the danger they pose?

Security and privacy breach in the software provided by Chinese is not uncommon. Take a stroll through some searches...

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

By the way, I've installed/uninstalled all AVs before, and even though they all leave traces (like most apps), they always uninstalled fine without any major problems.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

I would recommend you to use ESET alone and/or Panda alone and compare it with this combo.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013

Panda claims to be light, and it's relatively light. It could in theory replace Qihu in this setup.

Although I have not used ESET in recent years, I know its reputation for lightness and effectiveness, and I would like to use it, but I'm focusing more on free solutions at the moment.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
RE:12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

This is another example of why I like this combo (and, of course, because it's light):

[Malware Pack] 2013-09-20 #157 by spywar

Scanned yesterday, 19:16 by venustus
ESET: 140 / 89.2%

Scanned yesterday, 20:26 by me
Qihu: 133 / 84.7%
Comodo: 107 / 68.2%
Baidu: 115 / 73.2%
Kingsoft: 72 / 45.9%
Combo: 148 / 94.3%

Note: time is UTC -3.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Don't know how much security he is getting from this setup but this thread is attracting all members and he is gaining reply in his thread.Few senior members who hadn't seen from quite a while are logging just for reply in this thread :p

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011

Was this Malware Pack mostly Adware, Spyware and/or Trojans?
Also, what is your opinion on Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security and TrustPort?
Layering of Security Software! Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.