12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
RE: 12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

Sorry, other than the information you can browse on this and other forums, there's not much more I can tell, as I haven't used Trend Micro in years, and never tested TrustPort. And I don't remember the contents of that pack, but you can check it here.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
RE: 12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

I not sure if you know but Kingsoft Antivirus was acquired by Baidu and has been discontinued. I'm not sure how much longer it will continue to support updates, it is currently receiving updates from Baidu.

Baidu is currently using the same AV engines as Kingsoft. So basically your are just using duplicate AV engines.

Thanks. :D

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
RE:12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS/FW

Littlebits, you can take your time to read some posts next time before you post something regarding these posts you didn't read. I repeatedly tested both AVs and they do not have the same detections. In this very thread I mentioned one case in which 2 threats were caught by Kingsoft alone, while missed by Baidu, Qihu and Comodo.

I heard they had merged or something, then that they just had some kind of partnership. I don't know for sure, do you have some data to back up your claim? When you go to www.kingsoftsecurity.com you end up at www.ijinshan.com, which is Kingsoft's home page of their Chinese antivirus — apparently last program update is from 4 days ago. I've never tested the Chinese version, but the English version still updates frequently and has different detection from Baidu.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
RE: 12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO

I sent an email to bd@ijinshan.com asking questions, hopefully they will reply. Their English website and support forums are gone, so I might not get any replies. I tried their Chinese forums with Google Translate and I couldn't find any answers but awhile back it was posted on one of the news websites or forums, I don't remember now that Kingsoft Security products will be discontinued and replaced by Baidu products.

If I don't receive a reply then I will contact Baidu.

D

Deleted member 178

madyrocksin said:
Umbra has a successor !!

yesssss !!!! yesssss ! my young apprentice, i see you finally embraced the dark side fully !

let me show you the true power of the dark side :

Main AV: Qihoo
companion AV: WSA + Baidu/kingsoft + EAM + Immunet + Mbam Pro
hips/anti-exe: EXE Radar Pro + OAP
virtualization: Sandboxie + Shadow defender

Umbra (always) Win :D

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
*In a state of Shock* <insert 'shakes head in disbelief smiley' HERE>

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Honestly, I've tried Immunet (free) (and not on top of this combo) but haven't found a reason to keep it.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Umbra Polaris said:
madyrocksin said:
Umbra has a successor !!
Now this is the way to go!

I

illumination

Umbra Polaris said:
madyrocksin said:
Umbra has a successor !!

yesssss !!!! yesssss ! my young apprentice, i see you finally embraced the dark side fully !

let me show you the true power of the dark side :

You are bored huh? ;) lol

Why would you need "EXE Radar Pro" if you have OAP,
and why would you need "WSA + Baidu/kingsoft + EAM + Immunet + Mbam Pro" if you have Sandboxie + Shadow defender .... :p :)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
All you've got with this config is the exact same thing as other people who use a ridiculous amount of security software, which is.....An absolutely MASSIVE!! Attack surface. There's much, much more to security than 3rd party software. Learn how to keep you system locked down and use security features built into the OS to their maximum ability. Using this amount of security software is counter productive.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Spirit said:
Don't know how much security he is getting from this setup but this thread is attracting all members and he is gaining reply in his thread.Few senior members who hadn't seen from quite a while are logging just for reply in this thread :p

You can't control urself after reading this :D

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Polaris said:

Ahh that's much more relieving to the eyes,
now that is rather missile proof :p

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
How many times do I have to repeat this? This setup is primarily concerned with high detection rates, not high protection. My chosen protection layer for the moment is Comodo, but it could be something else. I have seen Comodo do well and fail, like so many others. The trio of antiviruses is a combination of one "traditional" AV, Qihu, with two "companion" AVs, Kingsoft and Baidu, no more, no less — only a possible combination of free AVs to achieve high detection rates. Anyone who has missed this should look at the spoiler that mentions Comodo: it says "not discussing any other CIS settings," while the AVs have extensive screenshots. You see?

We can have a discussion focused on the primary layer of protection (aside from this discussion focused on additional layers of detection), their weaknesses and strengths, configurations, etc, on another thread, that would be of interest to all.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OK, apart from your real-time protection. What about your on-demand scanners, reasons for choosing them, do they serve a purpose?

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Yes. On-demand scanners serve to scan files and folders...

Emsisoft because of its good proprietary engine, Malwarebytes for its effectiveness in detection of current threats, same for HitmanPro, and SUPERAntispyware is the underdog that sometimes is the sole detector of a threat.

By the way:
[Malware Pack] 2013-09-22 #734 by tony24 today, 16:03
Scanned today, 17:59, by me

Qihu: 499 / 68%
Kingsoft: 508 / 69.2%
Baidu: 552 / 75.2%
Comodo: 573 / 78.1%

Combo: 707 / 96.3%

Kingsoft has risen to become way way better than it used to be not long ago.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Jaspion said:
Yes. On-demand scanners serve to scan files and folders...

Emsisoft because of its good proprietary engine, Malwarebytes for its effectiveness in detection of current threats, same for HitmanPro, and SUPERAntispyware is the underdog that sometimes is the sole detector of a threat.

By the way:
[Malware Pack] 2013-09-22 #734 by tony24 today, 16:03
Scanned today, 17:59, by me

Qihu: 499 / 68%
Kingsoft: 508 / 69.2%
Baidu: 552 / 75.2%
Comodo: 573 / 78.1%

Combo: 707 / 96.3%

Kingsoft has risen to become way way better than it used to be not long ago.

It makes no difference how good AV's detect samples in malware packs, what would be the likelihood of you accidentally downloading these files and executing them in the first place? Malware just don't magically appear on your system, you have control over what you download and execute. Maybe a user with no common knowledge at all might take a little advantage over AV's with higher detection of malware sample packs but still it means nothing because none will detect everything. Users that pay attention, utilize UAC and have good downloading habits are more safe than users who use multiple security software layers. No security products can match good common sense.

You could have all available AV's running in real-time and still get infected if you downloaded the wrong file. Using data from malware samples packs is not a good way to determine which AV will work the best for you.

D

Deleted member 178

Jaspion doesn't know yet, but he accidentally downloaded and executed the terrible-maleficious-worldwide-infamous and famous...

UMBRA VIRUS !!!!

it already took over his brain and system

:666:

resume of episode666:

Umbra Corp CEO: "does the patient zero is ready"
Umbra Corp scientist: " yes master, patient jaspion ready for data transfer"
CEO: "execute code666"
scientist: "code uploaded and executed, Master! the patient is fully receptive"
CEO: "details?"
Scientist: "he started installing and running multiple real-time AVs at same time "

some time later

CEO: "The Dark Side of the Paranoia is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"
Jaspion: "will you teach me?"
Littlebit: "No Jaspion, don't listen him, he is evil !"
Jaspion: "but he can free my system from virus forever, i cant kill him"
Littlebit: "so i will do ! "

Jaspion terminate Littlebit via a alt-F4 savage strike

CEO: "Powaaa! Unlimited powaaaa!!!! "
CEO to Jaspion: "Do what must be done Jaspion... do not hesitate,show no mercy, leave no system alive."
Jaspion: "yes master"
CEO: "Oncemore, Umbra Corp will rule the galaxy and we shall have peace..."

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I didn't come here to joke around. This combo is concerned with detection rates, we're not discussing protection.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
/end thread.

guys, there is nothing to discuss here. OP wants max detection rates and is not bothered by the practical application of it.

Here is the list to latest tests. you've probably already read them but knock yourself out! http://www.av-comparatives.org/detection-test/ :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If it's not a joke.

Detection rates, highest performers are Bitdefender and Kaspersky.
Sort by Value: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php ( http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/ )

From my perspective, your config isn't about detection rates or protection, it looks more of what's the most compatible AV.

Jaspion said:
This combo is concerned with detection rates, we're not discussing protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.