13 Cloud Storage services (February 2016 Round-up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Update: From post 6 - See Best Cloud Storage Providers (Top Services Reviewed and Compared)

13 Cloud Storage services Reviews and Verdicts - February 2016

"Online storage is an integral part of life now, but with so many available it's hard to decide which one to use. Copy has just announced it will soon close its doors, but we've rounded up another 13 of the best cloud storage services vying for your data, including Google Drive, Dropbox, Mega, Tresorit, pCloud, and OneDrive.

Continue Reading Full Post: Copy is closing its doors, but Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud & more are vying for your data

Dropbox is still a very impressive service that is often bolstered by free storage expansion through deals with phone and service providers. The thing that really keeps it on top is the sheer availability it has in a number of apps and platforms around the web. If something is going to link to a cloud provider you can bet that Dropbox is most likely the first on the list. It’s rock solid, focussed, and universally known as a quality product.

Google Drive and OneDrive are both excellent options if you use Chromebooks or Microsoft Office respectively, as the vast free storage rewards on offer are well worth having. The 1TB OneDrive storage for Office users really is impressive, and almost subsidises the cost of the software. We're not impressed with the choice of reducing the free storage on OneDrive though, which puts Google in a much stronger position for the normal user thanks to its generous capacity.​

Lastly Tresorit and pCloud are up and coming services that deserves a lot of attention.​

Security is a very important consideration these days and both of these manage to provide encryption in a way that doesn’t interrupt a normal workflow and is easy to manage - especially in the paid versions. If you’re a small business owner, or work in a team that needs to keep data confidential, then they really should be your next port of call."

Last edited:

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
"We're not impressed with the choice of reducing the free storage on OneDrive though, which puts Google in a much stronger position for the normal user thanks to its generous capacity."

I agree! Many complained in onedrive blog, some even said that Microsoft took the free space by Skype integrated into onedrive (very ironic lol), it was better to have made some upload limit, than decrease the free space for fault " a 'user who was uploading everything found on the internet (many paid the price)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
MEGA (in that list) seems like it might disappear which has made me opt to moving to another. pCloud (especially if you got hold of that 50GB offer) is a very generous offer considering other free offers. Box while very good has a very annoying file size limitation so I can not utilize it like I would be able pretty much all other services. A while back I used a family member's iPhone to make an account with Box and at the time, they offered 50GB free for users for iOS (maybe Apple devices in general). Think it had something to do with apologizing for a poor app or something.

Out of all those in the list (while not free - unless you consider the 2GB of free which is only a 60 day trial) SpiderOak is very intreging for those wanting very strict privacy and strong security standards. It's pricing for 1TB (which is what I am looking to get down the road) is quite a good price for what is offered alongside very generous storage space, large file size limit (I'm not sure they have a limit at all), and very good upload/download speeds.

Amazon Cloud Drive seems generous in it's price but I hear there is no encryption on transfer of files and no encryption in cloud space which is a bit disappointing. At one time, I was seriously thinking about purchasing a subscription but later that same day decided not to.

Reactions: frogboy and Jrs30

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
The best I ever tried is Jottscloud, a Norwegian service that pride themselves with the best privacy out there.
No Patriot Act in Norway ;)
The fastest sync that I have seen also.

/W

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JMatthews

Jun 4, 2016
I'm really skeptical about giving my data over to big name services with Dropbox / Google / Amazon. I just don't trust that they have my interest in mind regarding privacy.

Also - this comparison leaves off some of the more popular services out there. Look at this one: Best Cloud Storage Providers (Top Services Reviewed and Compared)

As you can see, JustCloud isn't even on your list....but it's #1 here. I'm not saying it'd be my choice... just saying the full picture isn't shown in OP's link.

Out of all the companies listed in OP's link, I'm thinking pCloud stands out the most: pCloud Drive - Expand your computer storage with up to 1TB

Do any of you have any updated suggestions after using the services for a little while?

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As you can see, JustCloud isn't even on your list....but it's #1 here. I'm not saying it'd be my choice... just saying the full picture isn't shown in OP's link.
Added to my initial post. ;)

I only use Google Drive and OneDrive for Cloud Storage. If you use Save to Google Drive (extension), any files auto-saved to Drive are scanned for virus/malware before being downloaded.

Reactions: Jrs30 and Andytay70

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I use onedrive and signed up to keep all 15gb when the email came out! I got cheeky and set up another 2 email addresses all with the 15gb:p

Reactions: Jrs30

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Out of all the companies listed in OP's link, I'm thinking pCloud stands out the most: pCloud Drive - Expand your computer storage with up to 1TB

Do any of you have any updated suggestions after using the services for a little while?

Here is my opinion about "pCloud-drive" after about 6 weeks:
i created an accout about 6 weeks ago. I wanted to use this service on all my Laptops/PCs and installed
also the pCloud-client on every of my machines. The client installed a network-drive and automaticaly assigned a drive letter
to this network/cloud location (drive letter "P"): so i would say it's a fine solution/possibility. But unfortunately it's not possible to
change the drive letter 'P' to any other letter....

I copied some few files/folders to drive 'P" to make them available on every of my machines: i wanted to use this service as a
second NAS drive in my home-network. The speed was (while copying the files) quite poor: about 5-10 kb/s. I hope this was
only a temporary speed-issue......

Is anyone of you using this cloud service ? .....what is your personal opinion about it?

cu LASER........................

Reactions: JMatthews

JMatthews

Jun 4, 2016
Added to my initial post. ;)

I only use Google Drive and OneDrive for Cloud Storage. If you use Save to Google Drive (extension), any files auto-saved to Drive are scanned for virus/malware before being downloaded.

Cool! Those guys seem to be putting out some fresh info. I've been keeping an eye on it.

And thanks for the "Save" suggestion. Going to look into that now.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For security concern go to other alternatives besides to Dropbox, OneDrive or even Google Drive since they implement standard SSL compare to other services.

But usually many go to the promo of storage offerings.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
What ever kind of security that a cloud storage has the data is ultimately in the hands of some one whom you have never seen. Though its kind of keeping money in a bank rather than in your own house, but data is quite different from money. So, cloud storage is good for storing not so important files and is best suited for files that you want to share, but for important files its better to keep them with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.