2016 set to be the year of malware targeting Macs and iOS (so they claim...)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
"Security has long been an issue for Windows users. The sheer number of devices running Microsoft's operating system makes it a prime target for malware and virus attacks. More recently, Apple's computers have increased in popularity and security firm FireEye says that the company will find itself in the crosshairs in 2016.

It's not just Macs and MacBooks that are predicted to become more frequent targets, iOS is also expected to come under attack. FireEye warns that weaknesses have been found in Apple's walled garden, and this could spell danger for users. Symantec is issuing similar warnings, citing Apple's ever-growing user base as the reason."

Check the source for full article.

One thing I found interesting was this quote:
Symantec reports that there were more than nine times as many OS X malware infections in 2015 compared to 2014

Feel free to comment further.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
It's a post by the Android fanboy on Betanews, isn't it?
E: Yep, it is! :p

Reactions: frogboy

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
It's a post by the Android fanboy on Betanews, isn't it?
E: Yep, it is! :p
I wouldn't go as far as Android Fanboy...

Android on its own is known to be constantly a target for malware as well.

Just because is built upon Linux Kernel, doesn't mean its "safe".

In regards to the comment I found interesting, it is indeed true, no one can argue Apple is not targeted, just way less than windows.

However, we have to start realizing more and more Apple products are being used: iOS in UK for example is as popular as Android.

Laptops? A lot of people who have the cash go for those

Desktops? A lot of companies use it over the popular DELL.

Reactions: Enju

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I wouldn't go as far as Android Fanboy...

Android on its own is known to be constantly a target for malware as well.

Just because is built upon Linux Kernel, doesn't mean its "safe".

In regards to the comment I found interesting, it is indeed true, no one can argue Apple is not targeted, just way less than windows.

However, we have to start realizing more and more Apple products are being used: iOS in UK for example is as popular as Android.

Laptops? A lot of people who have the cash go for those

Desktops? A lot of companies use it over the popular DELL.
Well, that was more of a comment that the author of the article dislikes everything not Android, recently he posted the Windows Mobile 10 is dead article (Windows 10 Mobile is dead article) and if you look at his other stories he basically hates everything not based on Android. He loves to cherry pick subjects fitting his view whilst completely ignoring every other aspect. Otherwise I have to agree with you, Apple products aren't inherently more secure than Android but they get timely updates and security fixes unlike most Android phones. Bloody hell, there are still Android 2.2 phones being used and sold! :eek:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Apple products aren't inherently more secure than Android but they get timely updates and security fixes unlike most Android phones. Bloody hell, there are still Android 2.2 phones being used and sold! :eek:

The fault is not Google's Android. The fault is the carriers and brands who do not released patched Android OS vanilla builds to all phones that support it.

Example? look at Samsung Galaxy S3. came with 1 GB Ram and 4.3 Android OS. No official update. But hey guess what, the battery leak fixes and other improvements google made and patch for 4.4 build are not going to be officially supported by Samsung on S3.

Its a marketing thing. Lets release the new and improved Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo, which has 2 improvements under the hood: 1.5 GB ram and 4.4 Android OS

One can argue: oh but it requires more RAM thats why the hardware upgrade.
Sure, if you do not compare it properly. 4.3 on 1GB ram used nearly 80% of it. 4.4 on 1.5GB runs nearly the same 80%. Whats the culprit? Tweaks and useles stuff loaded by Manufactors for their : Its our version of Android that the competitors dont have.

Unless the user has a Google phone from its line, forget about having patched OS builds in time.

This is the core reason I moved to Windows Phone. I did not needed to root the device to install an upgraded custom rom when official build had issues fixed, just didnt have such build because the manufacturers only want to "milk" your hard earned cash.

Reactions: Enju

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
The fault is not Google's Android.
I tend to disagree here, Google is kinda the reason why manufacturers don't update their phones since they made the licensing agreements. Instead of forcing them to keep the phones updated they basically said "do whatever you want with it, als long as our services come preinstalled", Google even could have made security fixes get installed via the Playstore like they do with the Webview but instead they moved their obligations off to the manufacturers. The best example here really is Windows Mobile, every company can license it for their phones but MS will roll out the updates and fixes. Android is a very good and open system but Google is in the path of destroying it by their obstinacy. Otherwise I agree 100% with your post.
Cheers! :)

L

LabZero

Historically the Apple platform has always been pretty sure, not because of an inherent better security compared to Android, but rather to the fact that it, being less widespread, was even less attractive to attackers. Obviously the situation seems to be changing and many attacks are focused on overcoming security mechanisms and the remote code execution.

Of course I can't say that Apple systems are less secure, but only that, apparently, who writes malware is somewhat more interested in these products.

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
Mac OSX and iOS are pretty secure platforms, it will be interesting to see how they handle malware. Microsoft had a bit of a hard time as malware for Windows grew and grew in quantity. But, I beileve Apple won't like the idea of having third parties being needed to secure their operating system. My thought is Apple will try to combat the growth, but will either succeed slightly because of an antivirus service or by adding security features to their new operating systems, or will fail and antivirus vendors will be loathing in wealth because they are required to even use a mac without having some risk of being infected by malware.

iOS will be interesting too, with it app store. I bet criminals are going to find a way to sneak past the app store defenses like has already happened before, I personally think iOS will get affected but not to the extent OSX will.

This just goes to show that every OS is vulnerable. Because any OS these days can read scripts and communcate with each other, and are often used for emails, banking and shopping. So, as long as computers exist. Malware will exist.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.