Advice Request 2017: Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 41 41.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
tip : even if your vpn is tight as a vice & has absolutely no leaks, the clock on your computer will give away your real location.

if you are using a vpn, for reasons you best know, make sure you change the time zone of your computer to a different time zone.

Last edited:

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I'm using Windscribe, I got the 50 gigs a month for life. I like it because I noticed a few other VPN services slow your browsing down when you start using them, where Windscribe I hardly notice any slow down at all when using.

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
After trying a few VPN services, including ExpressVPN, Hotspot Shield etc.for the time being, I decided to settle for VyprVPN.

The reason I chose this service is that they appear to be clear about their logging policy, claim to code everything in-house, claim to own and maintain their servers, claim that they don't outsource support, and for my use they are noticeably fast compared to others VPNs I have tried so far. In addition, their Chamaleon encryption seems to be effective in bypassing censure and blacklisting in certain countries while maintaining a fairly decent streaming quality.

With that being said, I am the kind of eternally skeptical person that never really takes words (or EULAs for what matters) for granted. I know that when online total anonymity is just a myth. What I care about, however, is having a bit more control and enjoying a bit more privacy than if I didn't shield myself behind a VPN and use common sense.

Below are some interesting links from Golden Frog's own site that I would like to share not to advertise the company, but because up to some extent they resonate with me. Read them as you please and draw your own conclusions:

I Am Anonymous When I Use a VPN - 10 Myths Debunked | Golden Frog
Data Retention Laws By Country | Golden Frog

What Golden Frog Does
Golden Frog only retains the minimum amount of data to operate our business and we delete the data as soon as we don’t need it.
We log the following information and only retain it for 30 days:
  • Customer’s source IP address (generally the IP address assigned by the customer’s ISP)
  • VyprVPN IP address used by the user
  • Connection start and stop time
  • Total number of bytes used

Reactions: askmark

clayvligon

Mar 21, 2018
I would definitely recommend purevpn because I had problems with torrenting as few of my best torrent sites were blocked in my region. PureVPN definitely served me well in this area. Apart from that it is very good for streaming too! Purevpn review is what you need to read first before making a decision.

Reactions: John White

Klettern

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2018
If you've wanted a suggestion I could recommend one called Surfshark VPN. It is really fast and most importantly since it is not really known it isn't blocked by streaming websites, iPlayer included. It also supports unlimited devices so you could share it with your family. Finally, it has a zero log policy so it doesn't collect or use your data, it is also based In the British Virgin islands so out of the 14 eyes jurisdiction. So far its features are kinda lackluster, but for me it is enough. If you want a more detailed review, you could check here.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I voted for ExpressVPN, which I got from a MT giveaway.
It runs totally smooth, I can not feel a slowdown in terms of internet connection (I did not measure, my router isn't the best either, and with 6k, it's not fast as hell anyway). However, i'd invest in ExpressVPN only if I'd use it daily, because for me it seems quite expensive (but hey, you get what you pay for).

Tried CyberGhost before, conflicted with Dr. Web when I was testing that suite in the HUB. Luckily, the CyberGhost reseller refunded me instantly, without any discussions.

Another alternative would be Windscribe, the free 50 GB / month deal seems to be still available - Get 50GB free VPN bandwidth every month for life | TechRadar.
Express VPN have some of the highest amount of 'Virtual Servers'

Example: Your France server is probably in South Carolina

Always check your pings

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I use Windscribe, once you find a fast connection it works very well, good enough for me at least.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I really like Windscribe Pro even though the GUI and the speeds are not that great.

Another one I really like and has awesome privacy policy because they are in Cayman Islands is FastestVPN, it is very affordable too also stands up to the name in my opinion as it is very fast. You can get it for $1 a month at the moment for their 5 year plan. Also there is a lifetime version on StackSocial. I suggest you's all check it out because not many people talk about it and I believe it deserves some love. I talked to the support and they say there are adding a KillSwitch in very soon and other things in next update.
FastestVPN: World’s Best and Fastest VPN Service Provider

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.