Off-Topic 2029: the year when robots will have the power to outsmart their makers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by venustus, Feb 22, 2014.

1. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    Not really on-topic, Garry Kasparov (in the picture of the first post), one of the greatest Chess Grandmasters of all time, has been working with Avast as its ambassador. :cool:

2. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    He is a great example of human intelligence, I don't remember well but I believe he has won some chess game against Deep Blue, amazing :)

3. bribon77

bribon77 Level 10

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    in chess, machines are difficult. to beat them. A teacher said that in order to win a machine, pieces had to be given. and then the machine went down in level. and so it was possible to beat him

4. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    I'm not a robot. :)

I can beat any machine for chess. All I have to do is simply unplug the machine, now I win. Hahaha. Winner! :D

5. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    +1 (y) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 10

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Exactly. Just let the AI run with hardware restrictions..

7. TheJokerz

TheJokerz Level 4

Jan 7, 2016
    Information Technology
    Ohio
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    They need to make a fail safe with these machines! Like a logic meltdown, something as simple as: what has a tongue but no mouth? Which in turn would cause the robot to malfunction and shut down...

8. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    You could always just make a normal kill-switch through a button on the machine which will power down. Or a special device which sends a signals to it -> activates the shutdown.

thing is if they are connected to a network then they can be hacked remotely too. so then an attacker could hijack it to do something bad for them :/ (or do it manually if no network to intercept!)

9. Weebarra

Weebarra Level 7

Apr 5, 2017
    Somewhere in Scottieland
    Windows 7
    Kaspersky
    Are you really, really sure ;)

10. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    answer? you ! the robot grab you and rip away your tongue, failsafe down, you dead, Terminator win ! :p

11. ElectricSheep

ElectricSheep Level 12

Aug 31, 2014
    Professional Woolly Jumper
    Planet Earth
    Short article on Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics

How do you stop a robot from hurting people? Many existing robots, such as those assembling cars in factories, shut down immediately when a human comes near. But this quick fix wouldn’t work for something like a self-driving car that might have to move to avoid a collision, or a care robot that might need to catch an old person if they fall. With robots set to become our servants, companions and co-workers, we need to deal with the increasingly complex situations this will create and the ethical and safety questions this will raise.

Asimov's Laws Won't Stop Robots from Harming Humans, So We've Developed a Better Solution

12. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 10

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #32 mlnevese, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    The three laws are not perfect... even Asimov said so in his stories. For instance how do you make a surgeon robot that follows the three laws? He can't harm a human being so he can't perform surgery. If he tries to perform surgery he needs to harm a human being, if he doesn't he's harming a human being by not acting... a robot surgeon that follows the three laws would probably melt its positronic brain within minutes of first being activated :)

13. gorblimey

gorblimey Level 2

Aug 30, 2017
    Eastern Indian Ocean
    Windows 7
    Zemana
    Is it just my warped mind, or do I see a common thread here?

It seems to me that we're simply describing an existing AI... Humanity. Don't worry about the Rise of the Machines, We're already here :alien:

14. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Good luck predicting a new technology's development 12 years in the future. Sure buddy i am sure you will get it.

15. Arequire

Arequire Level 18

Feb 10, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    Google branded robots with TV screens for faces following us around 24/7 serving targeted ads. I can see it now. :LOL:
    I guess it'd be more like Yandex branded robots in your case.

16. gorblimey

gorblimey Level 2

Aug 30, 2017
    Eastern Indian Ocean
    Windows 7
    Zemana
    But OTOH, has anybody read The Humanoids (1948) and The Humanoid Touch (1980) by Jack Williamson? Basically, we could wind up with an AI which sees us as seriously stupidly under-educated and in need of remedial care rather than extermination... o_O

17. klaken

klaken Level 2

Oct 11, 2014
    Student
    Chile
    Windows 7
    Comodo
    Hahaha 100 years ago flying cars with cardboard wings are expected.

I also do not understand the desire to make computers think like us.

1- why the computers would come to reason or be aware of if ...
    2- Evolution as well as artificial intelligence are based on positive stimuli .. And for this to work to fail (something unacceptable for a machine)
    3- The evolution is based on aleoteridad therefore has a sea of possibilities. The aleoteridad is not something useful for a machine.

Maybe in 1000 computers invade us not in 10 years.

18. TheJokerz

TheJokerz Level 4

Jan 7, 2016
    Information Technology
    Ohio
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    :LOL:(y)

Cats-4_Owners-2 and Opcode like this.
  19. BryanB

BryanB Level 3

Aug 17, 2017
    Handyman
    MI
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    Here's another one, just so exceptional and brilliant, literally, gives a wondering person hope, thank you tim one.

tim one likes this.