Advice Request 3 budget Android tablet for 2023

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Hi guys, what's the best budget tablet in your opinion between these 3... the samsung a8, the samsung s6 lite or the xiaomi redmi pad?

Reactions: Nevi and upnorth

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Samsung has longer security updates? And of the two samsung tablets samsung s6 lite is better than a8 ( its also more expensive)

Nokia just released new nokia 21 tablet, its priced under 300$ and it has clean android i would suggest you to look into it aswell

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

It is hard to say what is best, because prices change and decisions are always influenced by promotions.

When I faced the same decision last year, my choice was made easy due to a nice discount for the Samsung A8. This promo made it by far the cheapest (half the price of the Redmi and just over one third of the S6). So I am using the A8 for internet browsing, email and reading Office documents in the train. It does it job well. It is fast enough for light office work.

At work we have thin-clients (intel NUC's with large screens) and at home I use a desktop (also with large screen), so I needed something for travel, which was small enough to be used in the Dutch over crowded commuter trains (where you often have to stand in the rush hours, making a laptop useless).

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Why is everybody running away from the redmi pad? Is it just because of the software updates? If you compare its specs to the s6 lite,you'll find that it's similar if not a bit better... I'm leaning toward the redmi tablet tbh but I don't know. I need more opinions on its durability and software in general.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Why is everybody running away from the redmi pad? Is it just because of the software updates? If you compare its specs to the s6 lite,you'll find that it's similar if not a bit better... I'm leaning toward the redmi tablet tbh but I don't know. I need more opinions on its durability and software in general.
I don't know for sure about the updates for the Redmi, but I have heard Xiaomi in general has those shorter. It's one factor that made me hesitate buy a Xiaomi phone.

If I also was to choose from these 3 models/versions only,
I can almost say for sure I would consider the Redmi pad first. I have zero needs for a extra " phone " and since one can normally connect a tablet/pad with a phone, it's IMO a bit overrated option, and understandable if not added by any vendor. I agree that the Redmi pad have slightly better specs. The battery is an important part with a tablet/pad. Compare that along with the price on GSMarena, I can't avoid put my vote for the Redmi. Still, before any actual purchase I would start to check out parts like the mentioned software updates EOL, factory warrant and few more reviews etc.

Good thread/topic @ZeePriest (y):coffee:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Samsung Tab S7 FE
+ 10000mAh battery
+ 45W fast charging (wired)

Samsung Tablets: A8 Lite vs S6 Lite vs S7 FE

Snapdragon 778G (S7 FE WiFi) vs 720G (S6 Lite)

Snapdragon 778G (S7 FE WiFi) vs 720G (Redmi Pad)

Premium options:
  • Samsung Tab S8 2022 supports 120Hz, whilst the slightly larger Tab S8+ comes with AMOLED display panel.
  • iPad Pro 2021/2022

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think it's support for users who are not Chinese. Updates play a part too. But it probably comes down to brand recognition and uncertain political climate.
Korean companies like Samsung aren't much better. They are bundled with their own "Galaxy" app stores and integrated features which are mostly non-removable OOTB, and require a Samsung account that come with their own Terms/C and Privacy/P.

250$ max!
If buying an Android Tablet is not an immediate priority, waiting for 2023 Google Pixel Tablet could be a contender for a little more money.

$250 over 3 years will cost you on average $84 per year (exc. accessories, electricity and repairs).

Last edited:

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Hey guys, I ended up ordering the xiaomi redmi pad from an online store for 215$. I went with xiaomi because all my previous devices are samsung and I wanted to try something new. It has 6gb ram and 128gb rom. It has a 90hz screen with a 2k resolution and an 8000mah battery. It comes with android 12 and a mediatek helio 99 processor equivalent to the snapdragon 720 or so. The frame and back are made of aluminum and it has a 1 year official warranty. I want to thank you guys for your opinions and efforts to help choose a new tablet!

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Hey guys, I ended up ordering the xiaomi redmi pad from an online store for 215$. I went with xiaomi because all my previous devices are samsung and I wanted to try something new. It has 6gb ram and 128gb rom. It has a 90hz screen with a 2k resolution and an 8000mah battery. It comes with android 12 and a mediatek helio 99 processor equivalent to the snapdragon 720 or so. The frame and back are made of aluminum and it has a 1 year official warranty. I want to thank you guys for your opinions and efforts to help choose a new tablet!
That is a very good deal, when I was looking around (november 2022) it was still over 300 euro's in NL (y) (I paid for my "second chance" Samsung A8 under 160 euro's).

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Korean companies like Samsung aren't much better. They are bundled with their own "Galaxy" app stores and integrated features which are mostly non-removable OOTB, and require a Samsung account that come with their own Terms/C and Privacy/P.
Agreed. I don't like the Samsung bloatware either, it's horrible and also a privacy nightmare to deal with. But good luck getting warranty/service for a grey market imported Chinese tablet/phone. With Samsung you can in most countries get warranty/service.

Anyway, congrats on your new tablet ZeePriest (y) The specs look really good!

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
That is a very good deal, when I was looking around (november 2022) it was still over 300 euro's in NL (y) (I paid for my "second chance" Samsung A8 under 160 euro's).
What about Xiaomi 12?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.