• Browser extensions for Firefox only

• Free, open-source
  • Browser extensions for Chrome/Edge/Brave/Opera and Firefox

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
https://gitlab.com/magnolia1234/bypass-paywalls-firefox-clean
I use this one.

It can be installed on Chromium based browsers as well.
Read the fine Readme. :)
You may need to add the extension to the allowlist in the registry.
Note, the in the case of the Edge browser, it may happen that Windows disables the extension after an update, so you'll have to apply the .reg file again.

If you download and install the extension as a crx-file from the releases page, it will update automatically whenever there is a new version on GitLab.
(that is not the case when loading the unpacked zip-file)

The extension from iamadev is not maintained any more.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I use this one.

It can be installed on Chromium based browsers as well.
Read the fine Readme. :)
You may need to add the extension to the allowlist in the registry.
Note, the in the case of the Edge browser, it may happen that Windows disables the extension after an update, so you'll have to apply the .reg file again.

If you download and install the extension as a crx-file from the releases page, it will update automatically whenever there is a new version on GitLab.
(that is not the case when loading the unpacked zip-file)

The extension from iamadev is not maintained any more.
I use only Bypass Paywalls Clean filter list, not the extension, and it serves my needs perfectly.
magnolia1234 / Bypass Paywalls Clean filters · GitLab

Last edited:

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
I use only Bypass Paywalls Clean filter list, not the extension, and it serves my needs perfectly.
In combination with userscript?
Adblocker list which allows you to read articles from (supported) sites that implement a paywall (for a lot of sites you also need to install an userscript).

For some sites it will log you out (or block you to log in); caused by removing cookies or blocking general paywall-scripts.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
No, only the filter list.

Edit: I just tried it on Bloomberg and it doesn't work but I that's not one of my usual news sites.
It does work for me as nicolassjan. you can try clear & cookies permission with addon then it must be work
YqnJkRF.png

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Works for me on that Bloomberg page with only the filter list.
I presume it didn't work for me, because I tested the list/script combination on the Pale Moon browser (doesn't support web extensions).
And the legacy uBO version on that browser obviously can't parse filters with newer syntax...
In this case, this filter was not recognized:
bloomberg.com##+js(set-local-storage-item, history, $remove$)

On Firefox only the filter list indeed works. :)

Sorry for the confusion.
From now on I'll be doing A/B testing on the same browser.

That said, I prefer the extension, because there must be other sites where only the list won't be sufficient.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

FYI

I just tested this on AdGuard MV3 (you are allowed to add filters up to 5000 rules). I added Kees Mv3 and Paywall filter with blocking ads and Dutch EasyList on my wife's Windows 11 23H2 laptop and it works (y) (so dropping LennyFox's list for news websites). So I put on some woman's magazines on her laptop (had to add some cosmetic rules manually with uBO :) )

! NOS
nos.nl##.ccm_responsive_top
nos.nl###regio-onboarding

! NU
nu.nl##.banner__slot
nu.nl##.h1.banner--h1.banner
nu.nl##.breaking-push-modal.modal
nu.nl##.modal-layer__shade

! RTL
rtlnieuws.nl##.region--content-top > div > .dfp-billboard-wrapper
rtlnieuws.nl##.dfp-billboard-wrapper
rtlnieuws.nl##.ot-sdk-columns.ot-sdk-twelve
rtlnieuws.nl##.ot-fade-in.onetrust-pc-dark-filter

! DPG media
volkskrant.nl##.fjs-hide-on-paywall.ad--top
parool.nl##.fjs-hide-on-paywall.ad--top
libelle.nl##.fjs-hide-on-paywall.ad--top
flair.nl##.fjs-hide-on-paywall.ad--top
margriet.nl##.fjs-hide-on-paywall.ad--top

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Max90
Why using AG mv3 together with uBO? Isn't uBO enough?
Running only AG Mv3. Used uBO temporarely to create some extra cosmetic rules. At the moment uBO's element picker and logger are (much) better than AG's Mv2. In the past AG had better element picker and logger.

I wanted to check whether paywall (bypass) rules also work on Mv3

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.