32-bit security programs in 64-bit system

yongsua

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Hi, can we gain full benefit from a 32-bit security program to work in a 64-bit system? Because most of the malware are created and ready to infect 32-bit system. Moreover, there are some security programs that actually only available for 32-bit system. Is it okay?

Reactions: scot and Ink

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its not really a problem caused 64 bit systems can be flexible and run 32 bit programs including Antivirus and should not cause any problems on protection capabilities.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are some limitations to security software on an 64-bit OS, for example, Kaspersky.

Some vendors may offer 32-bit editions for free and with less features, ie. SpyShelter.

I strongly recommend using an 64-bit OS. Avoid 32-bit Windows unless you have less than 2/3GB RAM.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I am using Kaspersky 2015 MR2 and tech support told me that (as I was concerned) that their software works on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems and their is no reduction in protection, so I'm confused?

Reactions: yongsua

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I am using Kaspersky 2015 MR2 and tech support told me that (as I was concerned) that their software works on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems and their is no reduction in protection, so I'm confused?

It depends on the component if it contains issues on 64 bit system due to computer architecture but if everything were fix or none change then it should provide equal protection.

Same goes to Sandboxie before, there's an experimental protection which caused issues before on PatchGuard of 64 bit in Windows and turning on may cause risk and reduce the sandbox capabilities but everything were fully fix and compatible. (except 64 bit support on Windows 8)

Reactions: yongsua

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.