360 Total Security Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
After reading some rave reviews about 360 TS (Gizmo's Freeware ranking it best free AV swung it) I've finally got round to trying it. Ufortunately RAM usage is way higher than my previous AV, Panda (360's 4 processes total nearly 100MB as opposed to Panda's 15MB), and that's on 'balanced', without Avira and Bitdefender engines.

What's RAM like with others here? My first impressions are it seems rather bloated.

Please don't be confused between RAM usage and System Impact.

If you have good amount of RAM then let the Antivirus use more RAM. Trust me this way the impact will be minimum. RAM is faster memory than any other memory like SATA HDD or SSD HDD. Do not let the Signature Based Antivirus go to HDD for each new things it's scanning.

If I have choice I will let the Antivirus store all their Signature in RAM. ( Considering I have 12 GB RAM in my Laptop :p ). If you have more than 2 GB ram let the Antivirus utilize the Free RAM.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
That's easy for you to say when you have 12GB RAM. I have an old 32bit laptop with around 3GB of usable RAM and it frequently gets maxed out so the last thing I want is an AV that's using 300+MB RAM.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
That's easy for you to say when you have 12GB RAM. I have an old 32bit laptop with around 3GB of usable RAM and it frequently gets maxed out so the last thing I want is an AV that's using 300+MB RAM.

If you are using signature based offline AV then you have 3 choices

1. Choose the one uses less RAM. ==> More HDD usage ==> Slowdown when the Antivirus tries to check something
2. Choose the which shows less RAM and uses more RAM through Driver ==> You get peace of mind that it's using less RAM but actually it's fooling you.
3. Choose the one which stores most of the Signature on RAM --> If it's using less than 300 MB ram then let it use it.

But ultimately it's upto you. I just wanted to explain do not judge an Antivirus solely on RAM usage.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
im still sure those " test " can be good just for extra knowloedge abouth AV.. but common.. this is near pure marketing. and this test is based on win 7 wich it comes with some diferences compared to win10.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Still a surprise to me though (Win7 user btw). I'll stick with 360 TS for a bit longer but looks like I'll be returning to Panda sooner than I planned (noticed Panda Free got 100% again in the test).

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
Cool program but forget about the system usage....Let's talk about the security level when we install this cool program !!!
1.As all of you know there is a spy module inside of the AV software which is collecting data but we don't know for who ... I read the post about the spy module somewhere here in MT..... !!!!
2. OK cool a lot of security techniques inside of it but where is the point of them when you know that your PC is spying you!!!
3.So we still talk about the system usage like one of my friend like to say B...H Please so much system usage for nothing...
150 Mb at process not good... for tows who have much powerful PC it's not a big problem but at all it is !!!!
4.The Best,NICE,good locking graphical usher interface !!!!
5.I will use Windows Defender with it i feel there much more safe :D
6.If you like it Use it !
7.Cool Brand Name !
8.Good Prevention and lot of funny stuffs ...

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Qihoo is top 3 best security products (my favorite free AV). There is a lot of propaganda against Qihoo. First, AV-Comparatives said they cheated and removed Qihoo from testing. Then, they start testing again!! AV-TEST did this too (so, who to trust ? AV-Comparatives & AV-TEST or Qihoo?). After that you see that they steal private data, now, they make deals with hackers.

Why nobody talks about Comodo and how they sign malware ? Other companies do this too and you don't hear a word.

There is a lot of group thinking :(

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
first to all we need some robust probes abouth what ALL AV collect information : wich one, where to send and for what purposes.
there alot of " theory´s but till the real probe its show i will keep using 360TS bcs low reources usage ( 30 MB only ) and no virus enter in my pc since im using.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Cool program but forget about the system usage....Let's talk about the security level when we install this cool program !!!
1.As all of you know there is a spy module inside of the AV software which is collecting data but we don't know for who ... I read the post about the spy module somewhere here in MT..... !!!!
2. OK cool a lot of security techniques inside of it but where is the point of them when you know that your PC is spying you!!!
3.So we still talk about the system usage like one of my friend like to say B...H Please so much system usage for nothing...
150 Mb at process not good... for tows who have much powerful PC it's not a big problem but at all it is !!!!
4.The Best,NICE,good locking graphical usher interface !!!!
5.I will use Windows Defender with it i feel there much more safe :D
6.If you like it Use it !
7.Cool Brand Name !
8.Good Prevention and lot of funny stuffs ...

Regarding the RAM usage: My Mum runs it on an 2GB RAM Laptop, no idea on the processor (1 core). It runs better than Avira Free or even BD IS 2015 did :) Maybe it depends also on the whole system config on how much RAM is needed (see @dJim). I experienced that now with my new PC, too.

I'm afraid WD won't work next to QTS360 (so my experience).

Qihoo is top 3 best security products (my favorite free AV). There is a lot of propaganda against Qihoo. First, AV-Comparatives said they cheated and removed Qihoo from testing. Then, they start testing again!! AV-TEST did this too (so, who to trust ? AV-Comparatives & AV-TEST or Qihoo?). After that you see that they steal private data, now, they make deals with hackers.

Why nobody talks about Comodo and how they sign malware ? Other companies do this too and you don't hear a word.

Well said @Kate_L :)

first to all we need some robust probes abouth what ALL AV collect information : wich one, where to send and for what purposes.
there alot of " theory´s but till the real probe its show i will keep using 360TS bcs low reources usage ( 30 MB only ) and no virus enter in my pc since im using.
Absolutely agree :)

Reactions: dJim and Rishi

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Regarding protection, from what I've read it seems that 360 TS is excellent with Avira and Bitdefender engines enabled, but only moderate without them, ie, in default balanced mode. As using them is not an option for me because of 50% CPU usage, this probably isn't the antivirus for me.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I didn't know that. Thanks. I'll stick with balanced mode then. My alternative was to go back to Panda but that doesn't have offline protection so no better off. Still puzzled why 360 TS did so badly in the test @mamamia linked above though.

PS - Something I have noticed is how large the 360 folder is, nearly 1GB in my case. I guess a lot of this is Avira and Bitdefender definitions.

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
I think some details are too minor to be shared publicaly so products just apply small patch numbers to a major update than to tell about it.Seen it with so many others.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Viking: Well same goes to other security products, likely its a trend where if something too minor then everything is considered as bug fixes which proven for localized problem only.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014

exactly same though of mine.

US based company does it then it's for improving the product. China based company does it then it's spyware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.