3rd Party Customized Themes Safe or Not ???

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
You can also look up themes on www.askvg.com They are pretty good. And you find some good xp ones too.

D

Deleted member 178

i was used to use Windowsblind when i had XP, then i felt some slowdown, so i stopped using themes except Rainmeter which replaces Windows Sidebar.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Not very fond of these types of themes so i did not use them,however if i am in any mood to use something I go with windows gadget which are good looking and not slow down my pc (many claim it uses high resources)

If you use theme from trusted site they are safe and if they are unsafe rest of work will be done by your antivirus and on demand scanner:D

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
malbky said:
I only stick to devaintart. I suppose I got an infected file from customize.org Most of the time the author of the theme himself will use the recommend software like a s/w for changing start ORB. So only use that one or go for a trusted one. If you dont want much mess just use the Visual Style. Always remember read user comments, then you will come to know if a theme really works or not.

yea avg threat scanner is giving customize.org a red signal.
i m surfing deviantart and they seems really great, and the comments are helping too :)

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
i was used to use Windowsblind when i had XP, then i felt some slowdown, so i stopped using themes except Rainmeter which replaces Windows Sidebar.

I think using a software to change the theme can slow down the system a bit, but the dll patch method hardly has any effect on the system, the ram usage is around less than 1mb, and the slow downs you will feel will only be for the first time you open an application, try it out works great :)

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Stranger said:
Not very fond of these types of themes so i did not use them,however if i am in any mood to use something I go with windows gadget which are good looking and not slow down my pc (many claim it uses high resources)

If you use theme from trusted site they are safe and if they are unsafe rest of work will be done by your antivirus and on demand scanner:D

for you good mood why dont you try rainmeter, its kinda a better windows gadget :p

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
for you good mood why dont you try rainmeter, its kinda a better windows gadget :p

used it and liked it (you can see in desktop showoff thread) but i don't like to keep too many software on my pc

P

Plexx

I have also disabled Rainmeter since I did not feel the need. Depending on the wallpaper, I would change the visual style to NOOTO windows 7 port and load up a customized skull start menu orb done by MrXidus.

I used to have all icons changed to Token (including the system icons of volume, battery, connectivity and alerts from the system tray), but then I got bored.

One thing to be aware of Deviantart is that some of the windows 7 visual styles are not fully updated for SP1 or they don't fully work with 64bit architecture. Remember to always read all the comments and description. Also test run it on a VM first before changing it on your HOST.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Using VS does not slowdown system. Umbra I actually used Windows Blinds 4yrs ago oon my xp and had no slowdowns. I have never treid Rainmeter.

madyrocksin

Thread author
Jul 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
I have also disabled Rainmeter since I did not feel the need. Depending on the wallpaper, I would change the visual style to NOOTO windows 7 port and load up a customized skull start menu orb done by MrXidus.

I used to have all icons changed to Token (including the system icons of volume, battery, connectivity and alerts from the system tray), but then I got bored.

One thing to be aware of Deviantart is that some of the windows 7 visual styles are not fully updated for SP1 or they don't fully work with 64bit architecture. Remember to always read all the comments and description. Also test run it on a VM first before changing it on your HOST.

Yes i m trying everything on the VM first,
i was seeing the token icons they seems good but i dont like to have a single color icon :p
Depending upon the the rainmeter skins i think i will need some of them, like the ram cpu usage, system drive space, etc i never liked the windows gadget they were all using the cpu
Thanks for the tips dude :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.