4GHz CPU Battle: AMD 2nd-Gen Ryzen vs. Intel 8th-Gen Core

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
In terms of IPC performance, AMD has certainly closed the gap. The improved cache latency has also really helped and there are several benefits to buying a second-gen Ryzen CPU over a Coffee Lake CPU, so it's going to be exciting to watch the battle unfold in 2018 and beyond.

For the unaware, IPC (instructions per cycle) provides a good indicator of how fast a processor is and having both a high IPC with a high operating frequency is the best combination for maximum performance. Such is the case for Intel's 8th-Gen Coffee Lake CPUs, and although AMD is clearly trailing when it comes to frequencies, the company appears to have really closed in on Intel's IPC performance. That's likely the reason why so many of you have been asking for this kind of test.

To see how much headway AMD has made here, we're going to limit as many variables as we can, while also keeping things as realistic as possible. The first and most obvious step is to remove core frequency from the equation and to do this we've locked all of the CPU cores at 4GHz. Any type of boost technology has been disabled and the cores cannot go past 4GHz.

The second-gen Ryzen CPUs were tested on the Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate and the Coffee Lake CPUs were on the Asrock Z370 Taichi. Both configurations used the same G.Skill FlareX DDR4-3200 memory with the 'Xtreme' memory profile and the same MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Trio for all the testing.

We can say upfront that this article is in no way buying advice, but we're testing purely for the science of it.

More @ 4GHz CPU Battle: AMD 2nd-Gen Ryzen vs. Intel 8th-Gen Core

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Depend on the cooler and the chip. My chip is below average in lottery. We all can't guarantee all Intel chip and AMD chip can achieve 4.5GHz without custom water cooling.
well your CPU's base clock speed is lower than 4 Ghz, hence i was saying that a higher base clock can OC higher.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
well your CPU's base clock speed is lower than 4 Ghz, hence i was saying that a higher base clock can OC higher.

i7 4790k base clock is 4GHz. Higher base clock cannot guarantee OC higher and that is not how it works. It all come down to your cooler and your lottery chip. If you have a bad chip, you will get moderate OC which is 4.2GHz - 4.4 GHz. If you have a good chip, you will get higher OC 4.5GHz+. Overclocking is a lottery game.

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
i7 4790k base clock is 4GHz. Higher base clock cannot guarantee OC higher and that is not how it works. It all come down to your cooler and your lottery chip. If you have a bad chip, you will get moderate OC which is 4.2GHz - 4.4 GHz. If you have a good chip, you will get higher OC 4.5GHz+. Overclocking is a lottery game.
that is exactly how it works. higher base clock will 99% allow you to OC higher, in case of the same silicion quality between both CPUs.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
that is exactly how it works. higher base clock will 99% allow you to OC higher, in case of the same silicion quality between both CPUs.

No man. Higher base clock cannot guarantee you will OC higher without knowing if you have a good chip or a bad chip. Let's take a look at i7 7700k. I7 7700k base clock is 4.2GHz and boost clock is 4.5GHz. Does this means that ALL i7 7700k OC can achieve 4.8GHz? No. Some can't achieve 4.7GHz without risking too much voltage and high temperature.

Bad chip: High voltage at moderate OC.

Good chip: Moderate voltage at high OC.

High voltage = High temperature = Shortern life span of the CPU. In order to solve this is a custom water cooling.

You are playing a lottery game when you OC your computer. Higher base clock means nothing if you don't know if you have a bad chip or a good chip.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
No man. Higher base clock cannot guarantee you will OC higher without knowing if you have a good chip or a bad chip. Let's take a look at i7 7700k. I7 7700k base clock is 4.2GHz and boost clock is 4.5GHz. Does this means that ALL i7 7700k OC can achieve 4.8GHz? No. Some can't achieve 4.7GHz without risking too much voltage and high temperature.

Bad chip: High voltage at moderate OC.

Good chip: Moderate voltage at high OC.

High voltage = High temperature = Shortern life span of the CPU. In order to solve this is a custom water cooling.

You are playing a lottery game when you OC your computer. Higher base clock means nothing if you don't know if you have a bad chip or a good chip.
but i just said, if you have the same silicon lottery. what you just explained is the condition i set for it to be accurate.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
but i just said, if you have the same silicon lottery. what you just explained is the condition i set for it to be accurate.

Silicon lottery is the good chip. You said, " higher base clock will 99% allow you to OC higher(false), in case of the same silicion quality between both CPUs(Are you talking about silicon lottery or non-silicon lottery?). "

Intel and AMD can set whatever the speed on the CPU to run, but if the user wants to push it beyond must play the the silicon lottery game.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
4GHz battle :ROFLMAO:. Here I am with my i7 4790k @ 4.5GHz.
Read the review. The point was to underclock Intel and overclock AMD in order to test performance under the same instructions per clock or cycle. 4GHz was taken as a golden middle where both CPUs can operate without instability issues.
Intel can easily reach those frequencies, but AMD Ryzen will strugle.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Silicon lottery is the good chip. You said, " higher base clock will 99% allow you to OC higher(false), in case of the same silicion quality between both CPUs(Are you talking about silicon lottery or non-silicon lottery?). "

Intel and AMD can set whatever the speed on the CPU to run, but if the user wants to push it beyond must play the the silicon lottery game.
mate, the silicon is engineered in a way to hold that GHz stable on default voltage.
something that is starting from higher base clock will need less voltage bump to get to higher than base.
a 4 GHz base clock CPU will always OC higher than a 2 GHz one..

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Read the review. The point was to underclock Intel and overclock AMD in order to test performance under the same instructions per clock or cycle. 4GHz was taken as a golden middle where both CPUs can operate without instability issues.
Intel can easily reach those frequencies, but AMD Ryzen will strugle.

Oh yeah about that. HardwareCanucks Youtuber also owned a Ryzen CPU, and he is unable to OC his Ryzen CPU.

mate, the silicon is engineered in a way to hold that GHz stable on default voltage.
something that is starting from higher base clock will need less voltage bump to get to higher than base.
a 4 GHz base clock CPU will always OC higher than a 2 GHz one..

Base clock don't mean nothing when it comes to overclocking. Higher frequency needs more voltage to maintain its stability. When people overclock, they want to overclock beyond the turbo boost frequency not the base frequency. The higher frequency you push, the more voltage you need to supply to the cores and that is the common sense.

So then explain to me why i7 3770k overclock higher than the i7 4790k? i7 4790k struggled at 4.6GHz, while i7 3770k can overclocked to 4.8GHz no problem at all.

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
lol..so much fuss on OC... I wonder how many of us really stretch them out daily? For myself, as long as I have at least 4 cores and a Vram is more than good enough.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Now everybody is eyeing 5GHz boundary for 24/7 usage. Even 8700K on a laptop runs at 5GHz provided the ambients are very low and are using Liquid Metal paste aka Liq. Solder.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Now everybody is eyeing 5GHz boundary for 24/7 usage. Even 8700K on a laptop runs at 5GHz provided the ambients are very low and are using Liquid Metal paste aka Liq. Solder.

Im more concerned on the heat dissipation issue if it runs. :unsure:
temperature control is an issue (a major one).

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.