On Sale! 89% off for Avira Phantom VPN: Lifetime Subscription ($40)

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Great find!

Questions:

1) How fast is this VPN?
2) How secure is this VPN? Does it leak your IP address?
3) Anyone here use this VPN yet? If you have I'd like to hear your thoughts!

I see some mixed results through these reviews that I found:

I do agree that Avira is a good company and has provided some nice security tools for end users to have for free/paid security.

~Brian

Here's the thing:

1: VPNs are like AVs, you will see comments and reviews that are completely different, ranging from "this is the best VPN ever, using them since 5 years" to "I've tried most VPNs and this the worst ever". I think that's because the quality of a VPN connection and experience will vary depending on physical location, chosen country or server, OS, installed softwares, type of use, etc...

2: many reviews out there or sponsored and i'm pretty sure a good amount of comments on those websites are too, therefore reviews are different based on which VPNs are sponsoring or paying the most.

Unfortunately, some VPNs don't offer a free version or a trial. But lucky for you, Avira has a free version, so give it a try ;)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Here's the thing:

1: VPNs are like AVs, you will see comments and reviews that are completely different, ranging from "this is the best VPN ever, using them since 5 years" to "I've tried most VPNs and this the worst ever". I think that's because the quality of a VPN connection and experience will vary depending on physical location, chosen country or server, OS, installed softwares, type of use, etc...

2: many reviews out there or sponsored and i'm pretty sure a good amount of comments on those websites are too, therefore reviews are different based on which VPNs are sponsoring or paying the most.

Unfortunately, some VPNs don't offer a free version or a trial. But lucky for you, Avira has a free version, so give it a try ;)

@TrinitronMSDOS Couldn't agree more with your statements! (y)(y)(y)It all boils down to exactly what you said.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
As this VPN is from a large and well established security provider, it is certainly worth considering.

However, when I installed the free version of the VPN to have a look at it, I noticed it was rather a large download. I got two icons in my Windows system tray. One of these icons appeared to be a console for various Avira security products (even though it was only the VPN that I had installed). The other icon was for the Phanton VPN product itself.

Could somebody please tell me if the paid for "Pro" version of the Phantom VPN product is a stand-alone product (just one icon in the system tray) OR does it also require the other Avira application to be running as well ? (two icons in my system tray).

I like as little clutter as possible on my computer !!

Last edited:
Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
As this VPN is from a large and well established security provider, it is certainly worth considering.

However, when I installed the free version of the VPN to have a look at it, I noticed it was rather a large download. I got two icons in my Windows system tray. One of these icons appeared to be a console for various Avira security products (even though it was only the VPN that I had installed). The other icon was for the Phanton VPN product itself.

Could somebody please tell me if the paid for "Pro" version of the Phantom VPN product is a stand-alone product (just one icon in the system tray) OR does it also require the other Avira application to be running as well ? (two icons in my system tray).

you can uninstall other avira application and only keep the avira phantom pro. it doesn't matter if its paid or free. i used revo uninstaller to uninstall the unwanted application for other avira products!

T

TrinitronMSDOS

That might be the infamous Avira Launcher that must be installed in order to use Avira Antivirus, even the pro version, though there are some workarounds. I don't know if it's the same for their VPN.

Anyway this might be acceptable for a free product, but it doesn't inspire confidence. As a rule, if a software installs others softs along with it (except the tradition Chrome, Adobe Reader, etc... that can easily be unchecked), especially mandatory ones, i boycott the product.

wert33

Level 2
May 22, 2012
Avira Phantom VPN will not autoconnect to a server when Windows starts up, it doesn't have that function. And you can't install their VPN on a router, they do not support it.
I bought the license and when I activated it, I can see its for 5 years and not lifetime. Can someone explain this please? And is it possible to get a refund? I did contact stacksocial.com yesterday and I'm waiting for a answer.

I can confirm that the connection speed is good.

any answer?

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
any answer?

Yes, i got answer from stacksocial.com and not Avira. I don't think Avira vil extend my license after 5 years. But I got my money back from stacksocial.com and they were really friendly and helpful. I didn't get money back into my bankaccount but instead I got credits to use on their website. I'm happy with the solution and will wait until Windscribe lifetime license gets around $40.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Grabbed this deal yesterday, as this was too good to pass up, even if it's only 5 years. It's still less than the price for a 1 year subscription! :)

And I can confirm very good connection speeds, much better than the VPN I have been using. Getting much closer to my full broadband ISP connection speed.

I set the VPN applet to launch at system start and auto connect VPN for Wi-Fi networks, and away we go!

I suppose the main down sides would be for those that want to configure this with a router, or Linux, as it doesn't support that. Support for Windows, Mac, Android, and IOS.

Avira is a German based company that I trust! (y)

Security: AES-256 encryption

Servers: Avira Phantom VPN runs on their own secure, private servers

Tracking:

Our policy is as follows: we cannot share what we do not know.
We must legally comply with the legislation of countries in which we operate. So we make sure that if authorities do come knocking on our door, we have no sensitive information to share, notably what our customers use the VPN for or what websites they visited.

we do not track:
  • The websites you visit
  • The virtual locations (IP addresses) you used while surfing
  • Your real IP address
  • Any information that can link you to any action, such as downloading a file, or visiting a particular website

Elmo's Jackhammer 95

Level 1
Verified
Jan 30, 2018
How does Avira Phantom VPN work with Netflix? Is it possible like with Windscribe? I tried one month of Windscribe and it was very good for speeds and now I've come to purchase Avira as I've used their other products in the past and I trust them but I was wondering if Netflix has blocked the IP's used by Avira?

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I only use Netflix with a set top box plugged into my router via ethernet, so have no way to judge the VPN usage with Netflix.

Windscribe seems to offer a good solution for this application. Avira does claim that it can bypass geo restrictions if you connect to the country you wish to access, but I have not tried that yet. You could test it with the Avira Phantom VPN free plan. 1GB/mo with registration.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
This VPN is great but it is lacking some features. I usually find lifetime subscription options shady and too good to be true. But in this case, as Avira is a very well known and large company, I would trust it more than other lifetime VPNs.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
This VPN is great but it is lacking some features. I usually find lifetime subscription options shady and too good to be true. But in this case, as Avira is a very well known and large company, I would trust it more than other lifetime VPNs.

It meets all of my needs for features. But it may not be for everyone. The trust factor and the network speed make up for any other doubts I may have had. It is blazing fast! (y)

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Avira Phantom is not my favourite VPN.

However, considering that Avira is a very well established security company a "lifetime deal" for this price might be agood investment. I'd be more confident that Avira exists in 5 years than some of the other VPN providers that advertise lifetime deals.

I also think that there is a good chance of Avira improving this product in the coming months/years. Their monthly subscription prices are quite high, so if they want people to subscribe they will need to keep up with their competitors.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.