A Novice Configuration

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
u using oudated version of AVG, AVG 2014 already released. but AVG antivirus is not good for protecting users. You can try the qihoo 360 internet security
360 Internet Security
which is currently best freeware AV. For one-deamnd scanners u can try Hitmanpro ( 30 day free trial ) , Avira PC cleaner, emisoft emergency kit, Dr.web cureit. For addons try lastpass, adblock, avira browser safety, wot.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
u using oudated version of AVG, AVG 2014 already released. but AVG antivirus is not good for protecting users. You can try the qihoo 360 internet security
360 Internet Security
which is currently best freeware AV. For one-deamnd scanners u can try Hitmanpro ( 30 day free trial ) , Avira PC cleaner, emisoft emergency kit, Dr.web cureit. For addons try lastpass, adblock, avira browser safety, wot.
Yes, AVG is just horrible.

Novice

Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks Chaps,

I am just about to update AVG with Trustport 2014 that I won on here :)

I am definitely upgrading from XP - didn't like Windows 8 when tried recent in trial, thinking I;ll get 7 and it is cheaper

This is really useful as I have 2 teenagers, 1 an avid gamer, so need to keep them clear too

Reactions: MalwareDetective

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I hate to say it, but if you really want to improve your security, (and if you can afford it) you should ditch your current pc,and upgrade to Win 8.1. Support for xp has ended after today. If you remain with your current pc, make sure you 3rd party software are all up to date. eg: Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java etc.

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Hello, it would be interesting since you think your windows xp to a newer version. Avg is not one of the best, there are better options if you wanted to move, if not just upgrade to the latest version which is 2014. Interresante would you add some extensions to protect them in the browser, if queiria as: Adblock (advertisements blocks), Ghostery (avoid crawling sites) HTTPS Everywhere (improve security while visiting sites) Wot (Traveller sites)
For Free and the best option is 360 Av, I recommend you also avast, good protection, or even use with Comodo Firewall
Thanks for posting your config.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I watched trusport AV reviews & trust me they don't do well specially it's 0 day protection is weak. Though it's ur choice. Also if u upgrade to next version of windows ( 7, 8, 8.1) then always enable UAC & smartscreen ( in windows 8 )Avoid downloading from unknown sites, stop vising unknown sites, always download from trusted source. if u use torrent then only download from trusted providers coz most viruses comes from torrent. keep ur softwares & security suites up to date.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Recommend to upgrade your OS to Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8. If you choose Windows 8, you can always upgrade to 8.1 for free.

End of Support for Windows XP SP3 is today.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I agree with most fellow here, if you somehow don't like win 8 then win 7 is a good choice (remember to set UAC as default at least or high), as for AV, I highly recommend 360 IS, it's one of the best free Av out there, or you can use avast too which is good also. As for firewall, you can use windows built in firewall too in win 7 if you just want a simple firewall, besides 3rd party firewall like CF need to be tweaked which is not recommended for novice user or for anyone who doesn't want / doesn't have time for tweaking.

And you might want to consider what our fellow member here mentioned above about browser add on for better security and privacy :)
Thanks for sharing your config:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks Chaps,

I am just about to update AVG with Trustport 2014 that I won on here :)

I am definitely upgrading from XP - didn't like Windows 8 when tried recent in trial, thinking I;ll get 7 and it is cheaper

This is really useful as I have 2 teenagers, 1 an avid gamer, so need to keep them clear too
Like yourself, Novice, I too have XP. Until you upgrade (especially since you've teens who both have to love games) use Sandboxie free www.sandboxie.com which is essentially like placing your XP 'sandwich' into a ziplock bag so flies & ants won't touch it!;)
An alternative Operating System I'm typing from now is called "Lumbuntu" http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1310-saucy-salamander-released Before giving up on my comfortable XP, I listened to Bora Murdar whom boosted my confidence in downloading a 32x iso image onto a rewritable disc. It boots along side your Windows XP for as long as you want to keep it, is surprisingly similar to Windows, & yet (in my case) much faster! You can even try it before installing!!:rolleyes:
Did I mention it's f-r-e-e...:D
Thanks for sharing your configuration, & good luck!:D

Last edited:

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
360 security is really effective, but it may cause problems to your PC (my brother had). I suggest not to use it till it gets more mature. If you don't mind taking a little risk though, it's ok. Except from that, you can use Avast free with Aggresive Hardened mode enabled if you want. This mode allows only well known and safe programs to run.
For a complete solution, especially for XP where the firewall is not that good, I would recommend Comodo Internet Security free, but it may confuse you as it's not for novice users because of possible popups.

Many here suggest you to upgrade your OS/Computer so to have Windows 8.1 They are totally right, by doing it your protection level will increase a lot.

Reactions: Venustus

Novice

Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2014
I am getting some problems with trustsport, my laptop just grinds to a halt and it doesn't remember my choices..... mmmmmmmm back to the drawing board. Avast sounds good...

It,s now completely locked!

Uninstalled and now putting avast 2014 on, going to find windows 7 trial later too

Last edited:

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I am getting some problems with trustsport, my laptop just grinds to a halt and it doesn't remember my choices..... mmmmmmmm back to the drawing board. Avast sounds good...

It,s now completely locked!

Uninstalled and now putting avast 2014 on, going to find windows 7 trial later too
Avast currently has some issues with dropbox. Generally speaking test it and if all is ok for you, it can provide good free protection with little user interaction.
Also you can enable pup detection in avast settings ( in file shield, webshield etc) to improve effectiveness.

Novice

Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks everyone, I installed avast and declined dropbox but it is clashing with chrome. I have to turn websheild off to get on net....obviously this is not secure - any tips please Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.