A policy I can't delete that installs an extension not on in the chrome store?

Infected operating system
macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
Infected device issues
Presence of unknown policy and managed by organization
Browsers affected by infection
  1. Chrome
Browser Settings: Homepage and Default Search Engine
Homepage and default search engine are both google
Browser extensions
Google slides, Google docs, and Google sheets.

WolfWithWheels

Thread author
May 13, 2021
Recently I noticed a message in chrome saying it was being managed by my organization. This didn't make any sense, so I checked and I saw that there is a policy causing this called ExtensionInstallForcelist. This policy is seems like its installing an extension with the ID "oephopgkjmclikolnpeioedlggnamdkk" which does not even show up on the chrome extension store, and I don’t actually see in my extension list. I've been unable to delete this policy through the terminal either, as whenever I try to I receive an error that domain "com.google.chrome" cannot be found. I would like to get rid of the policy and the managed by organization method. Can anyone help?

Reactions: Nevi

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Hello. Run Malwarebytes for Mac. Open Chrome and in the address bar type chrome: // policy. What does it show?

On Finder clic on Go to Folder, type /Library/LaunchAgents. What it is inside of this folder? Do the same for ~/Library/LaunchAgents.

Do you have Mackeeper installed?

Last edited:

Atzi

Jun 25, 2022
Hello. Run Malwarebytes for Mac. Open Chrome and in the address bar type chrome: // policy. What does it show?

On Finder clic on Go to Folder, type /Library/LaunchAgents. What it is inside of this folder? Do the same for ~/Library/LaunchAgents.

Do you have Mackeeper installed?
Hey I'm having the same problem and also tried everything the guy you were helping tried. I've run Malwarebytes and it says no threats. For my policies it shows me this (attached). This is inside /Library/LaunchAgents.
Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 18.20.49.png

And this is inside ~/Library/LaunchAgents
Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 18.21.49.png

Also I don't have Mackeeper installed. Do I need it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 18.01.04.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 18.01.04.png
    836.4 KB · Views: 132

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.