SifhX

Level 4
Hi,

A friend asked my advice about installing ESET Smart security, on his computer.
At the moment, he have MBAM, Windows defender , Windows firewall and EMET 5.1

Does he still need MBAM and EMET ?

Thanks

Reactions: darko999 and norman

darko999

Level 17
Verified
ESET as the real time protection module. I suggest using MBAM as a on demand scan, no active real time protection on it. I would disable Windows Defender for improved system performance, windows firewall is controlled by ESET as soon as you install it. EMET would be optional, but won't do any harm.

Reactions: SifhX
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

I recommend that he installs ESET Smart Security on his computer, using ESET for the real-time protection. Smart Security also includes other packed features which will be good for protection like the Firewall (to stop hacker attacks), Botnet protection; more information can be found here: http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/Smart-Security

Like @darko999 suggested, he could use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand. If, he has Malwarebytes premium, he can disable the Real-time guard to prevent it scanning real-time for threats, and using it as on-demand only.

ESET Smart Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should be enough; I do not think that Windows Defender would be necessary, especially when you are using ESET for example. This can be disabled.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: darko999 and SifhX
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

I think you've misunderstood. On-demand is where you do not use Real-Time protection, however the scanning function of the product. For example, the user can use ESET for real-time protection and can also scan the system using Malwarebytes to check if it picks anything malicious up. (threat scan in Malwarebytes for example).

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: darko999 and SifhX

Neno

Level 5
Verified
If he has MBAM (Premium even better) with Windows defender/firewall, he only needs a common sense and UAC with it. But, if he has no clue about internet/files treats, he may as well install any premium suite and still be unprotected :). At the end of the day, use your spare time to learn.

Reactions: SifhX

SifhX

Level 4
Thanks, I suggested him to use MBAM / EMET some times ago , he uses his personal laptop at work

Now he bought ESET because his company is using ESET endpoint security, so he will certainly use it, I will tell him to disable real time protection of MBAM, but what about EMET ?