Status
Not open for further replies.

SifhX

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Hi,

A friend asked my advice about installing ESET Smart security, on his computer.
At the moment, he have MBAM, Windows defender , Windows firewall and EMET 5.1

Does he still need MBAM and EMET ?

Thanks

Reactions: darko999 and norman

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
ESET as the real time protection module. I suggest using MBAM as a on demand scan, no active real time protection on it. I would disable Windows Defender for improved system performance, windows firewall is controlled by ESET as soon as you install it. EMET would be optional, but won't do any harm.

Reactions: SifhX

2!<15

Level 3
Verified
Jan 4, 2015
I suggest using MBAM as a on demand scan, no active real time protection on it

mbam1.jpg

Source : https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/premium/

mbam2.jpg

Source : https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

I recommend that he installs ESET Smart Security on his computer, using ESET for the real-time protection. Smart Security also includes other packed features which will be good for protection like the Firewall (to stop hacker attacks), Botnet protection; more information can be found here: http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/Smart-Security

Like @darko999 suggested, he could use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand. If, he has Malwarebytes premium, he can disable the Real-time guard to prevent it scanning real-time for threats, and using it as on-demand only.

ESET Smart Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should be enough; I do not think that Windows Defender would be necessary, especially when you are using ESET for example. This can be disabled.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: darko999 and SifhX
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

I think you've misunderstood. On-demand is where you do not use Real-Time protection, however the scanning function of the product. For example, the user can use ESET for real-time protection and can also scan the system using Malwarebytes to check if it picks anything malicious up. (threat scan in Malwarebytes for example).

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: darko999 and SifhX

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
If he has MBAM (Premium even better) with Windows defender/firewall, he only needs a common sense and UAC with it. But, if he has no clue about internet/files treats, he may as well install any premium suite and still be unprotected :). At the end of the day, use your spare time to learn.

SifhX

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks, I suggested him to use MBAM / EMET some times ago , he uses his personal laptop at work

Now he bought ESET because his company is using ESET endpoint security, so he will certainly use it, I will tell him to disable real time protection of MBAM, but what about EMET ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.