A Quick Poll for Security

How do you score your phishing knowledge?

• Excellent

• Above Averge

• Averge

• Below Averge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
Hello Everyone, I decided to poll on topic phishing and basically, it is a quiz to test your knowledge about phishing. Identifying phishing page is not easy and day by day hackers improving and making an exact copy of the original page.
I found a website where we can see how much we know about phishing. We need to know this because averge person receive 50 emails per day. Most phishing is come through mails and identiying mail is genuine or fake is difficult for algorithms aswell.

Phishing Quiz

Don't forget to check your mistakes

D

Deleted member 65228

14/14... They could have made it harder by demonstrating a potential vulnerability to spoof the URL in the address bar as a genuine website, but the website appearing almost the same but with some hard identifiers to notice to indicate it was actually a phishing. Or a genuine URL but invalid certificate, which if noticed raises more questions and thinking.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I view this as a pointless exercise for me. Some of those emails I would never bother with whether real or other wise. They don't pass my who cares. 2nd when I get an email say from citibank, I never use the email, I always just type in citibank.com. And if it's from an individual I know well and it has an attachment I wasn't expecting, I call and confirm they sent it.

A little common sense goes a long way

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Well, here's what I got:

Congrats! You correctly identified 11 out of 14 sites in the OpenDNS phishing quiz.
Wow, you're pretty good at spotting phish. But beware: cyber criminals are more clever than ever at creating sites that fool even the most experienced phishing detectives.

Not sure what to pick though.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Zoiks!:eek: 6 out of 14 not good.

I suppose I would have done better if I had typed the url`s directly into VT uploader which is what I`d normally do but what exactly is the tell tail sign to know straight off the bat that it`s fake ?

Regards Eck:)

T

TrinitronMSDOS

"You're a phish-spotting ninja! You correctly identified 13 out of 14 sites in the OpenDNS phishing quiz."

Not a bad result as my AV would have hopefully catch the one i missed. Still that proves there's room to perfect my knowledge on the matter.

There should be more quiz and informative websites like that, and they should be promoted by governments, ISP and such. More informed web users means a safer internet (y)

Thanks for the share ;)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
13/14. Noticed the standard http connection for aa.com and still chose real. Thought it might be a trick question and outsmarted myself, but I should have known that all major companies use https.

For me the real challenge is in spotting these in e-mails. Do this well, and one may never have to see one of these actual "sites". That said, I have also seen e-mails which contain fields for data entry right in the message...pretty good giveaway of a phishing scheme. Checking e-mail address of sender for proprietary/ad type mail is important to do without exception. Seems phishers keep improving...

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
Expected results :D not a deal for MT members
This is a trailer and bad peoples trying to phish with simpler web pages
Our real test in real life when opening our emails
Google does 70% work my mark unknown emails as spam but 30% pass google algorithms
We open hundred of websites every day do we really follow the same principal? checking domain and small mistakes on the webpage
When I'm doing my test I feeling sleepy without checking these small mistakes I got this test 11/14
Phishing webpage of any our favourite website even MT
Do we really aware when opening our favourite websites
Everyday average person receives 50 emails do we really apply principals there

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.