App Review A Quick Test of SuperAntiSpyware Pro

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Was it a ransomware that caused the files to be encrypted? If yes, then

SUPERAntiSpyware did not claim it can protect against ransomware. From its website

• Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware and Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats.
SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

I'm not surprise if SAS cannot detect the CCleaner malware. If bigger companies out there cannot detect it what you expect of SAS?

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Was it a ransomware that caused the files to be encrypted? If yes, then

SUPERAntiSpyware did not claim it can protect against ransomware. From its website

• Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware and Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats.
SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

I'm not surprise if SAS cannot detect the CCleaner malware. If bigger companies out there cannot detect it what you expect of SAS?
Ransomware is a trojan type of malware. Besides, it states "and many other types of threats." :)

But maybe you're right, that it doesn't protect against ransomware. :)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Harbor- only 2 of the 6 were ransomware (3010 and Bart). The others were a keylogger, a worm, the CCleaner malware, and an email bomber; so it was a rather diverse set of malware. The issue with doing this video was in finding something that SAS DID detect,

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
SuperAntiSpyware?

Once upon a time, it used to be a good product.
Not anymore...

True, and same can be said about Malwarebytes, Spybot etc. There used to be a time when the main AVs didn't offer spyware/adware protection; so these software grew in popularity; Windows Defender itself started as an antispyware program, too. Nowadays most of them are obsolete.

Edit: SAS GUI is also ugly, like it has stopped in time.

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
My two cents --- do not pay for this software! Period.

SAS is ok for tracking cookies, but anything beyond that I wouldn't trust it to pick stuff up. I will admit I use it time to time to get a boat load of adware/tracking cookies off a computer. I use the free version of it to get this job done. However, this software while still out there and still collecting money from people isn't great at all. Great for a one time cleanout of tracking cookies and great that they have a free version. At the very most if people (crazy that they would) wanted to use this software go with the free version. Click on update once a day and your good. Use the quick scan once a day to get easy tracking cookies and your good. There are far better anti-virus software on the market that does a far better job. Personally, I'd recommend just about anything over SAS.

Again just my two-cents. Good for cookies and thats about all.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_88 Oct. 11 17.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_88 Oct. 11 17.31.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 476

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.