Advice Request A really silly question about WD-icon, but I can't find the answer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Hi all,

I like to have the taskbar on the right on Windows 10. Reason is that my 32 bits Asus transformer has a wide screen and my 64 bits desktop a 24 inch wide screen also. On my 32 bits transformer the WD icon neatly arranges with others (see pic it concatenates with others two on a row), while on my 64 bits it refuses to align with others and takes up one horizontal row of its own (like the keyboard and language icon).

Now I would not have mind the difference when the WD-icon would have centered, but in stead it uses a horizontal row for its own and aligns left. I occasionally design/build websites. During those days I am most aware of the wrong alignment. Recently build a website , so I guess it will fade away, but for the moment I am constantly aware of this irritating irregularity.

Maybe anyone has experienced the same and have found a solution (to either center at its own on a row or concatinate it with others (like it does on my Asus).

Thx

1563693200623.png

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Hi all,

I like to have the taskbar on the right on Windows 10. Reason is that my 32 bits Asus transformer has a wide screen and my 64 bits desktop a 24 inch wide screen also. On my 32 bits transformer the WD icon neatly arranges with others (see pic it concatenates with others two on a row), while on my 64 bits it refuses to align with others and takes up one horizontal row of its own (like the keyboard and language icon).

Now I would not have mind the difference when the WD-icon would have centered, but in stead it uses a horizontal row for its own and aligns left. I occasionally design/build websites. During those days I am most aware of the wrong alignment. Recently build a website , so I guess it will fade away, but for the moment I am constantly aware of this irritating irregularity.

Maybe anyone has experienced the same and have found a solution (to either center at its own on a row or concatinate it with others (like it does on my Asus).

Thx

View attachment 217219
You can try to enable "use small taskbar buttons" setting, like that the taskbar will use one line only (instead of two)

Immagine.jpg

Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@imuade Thx, but that setting does not have much effect on the system icons below (it makes the application icons a lot smaller though)

@roger_m thx, I it would look better centered like the language and date icons.

Reactions: imuade

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Burrito

FYI the eight President of the US spoke Dutch as his first language (Martin van Buren is the only US president whose first language was not US- English), for the Dutch king of England (William the third) same story, so what is your point?

I am not native english speaking so forgive me the writing error.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
M$ design rule to "always left align icons" (your words), to me looks sometimes :)
I said they do that for programs. The other icons you pointed out, are not icons for running programs. To use my computer as an example, I only have program icons, which means I have no centred icons and i'm fine with how it looks.

Icons.png
Icons 2.png

I centred the bottom row of icons in the second image, but I don't like it that way, as the icons don't align with the icons above them. I prefer for all icons to line up.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
@Burrito

FYI the eight President of the US spoke Dutch as his first language (Martin van Buren is the only US president whose first language was not US- English), for the Dutch king of England (William the third) same story, so what is your point?

I am not native english speaking so forgive me the writing error.

Wow, you took that all wrong.

My post was sincere. You used a term not often used, not often understood, and you used it perfectly.

Reactions: [correlate]

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Burrito

Because I used concatinate in stead of concatenate I did not understand your post. Thanks for pointing your intentions out, apologize for the wrong interpretation :oops:

Regards Kees

Reactions: Burrito

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Though I don't have much knowledge about this I feel that its happening because of space problem, the WD icon and the letters 'ENG' cannot fit in the place. I remedy could be to change startup order, may be the sequence of the icons will get changed and everything may appear in a much better way.
Another thing I noticed is that you are using different formats in the date section, that may cause confusion. And may be that also effects the display of icons, just change that also to see if that makes any difference.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I remedy could be to change startup order, may be the sequence of the icons will get changed and everything may appear in a much better way.
That won't change it. Icons for programs will always be left aligned and not centred. If there was a fourth program icon, it would be would fill in the blank space on the right side of the bottom row. Without that, the right side will always be blank.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.