App Review A test of Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If Kaspersky was running first before infection, would you have been able to install it without disabling or most any other AVs? and second is there a secondary scanner that can detect and remove Xores? Thanks
If by that you mean if Kaspersky real time was installed, then there would have been no infection as K would have detected the original malware and deleted it. As for other AV's the detection rate is spotty (and could be made more so by manipulation of the original, making it close to zero-day).

As to other 2nd opinion scanners, next week will be the same versus NPE (actually this video is part 1 of a 4 part series- next NPE, then Fun Facts about both NPE and KVRT); probably will bore most to tears but at least they will be equally short.

But one thing I need to point out is that this malware, as also will be the case in a similar one that will be used is that on normal use they will be essentially invisible to the user. They reside in a Hidden System directory (so no joy when checking with a file manager), they persist via Scheduled Tasks (so avoiding Startup mangers that just look at registry entries), and will only be active during the pulse transmission out to malware command, so are far too ephemeral for noting in Task manager.

Stuff like these make me question the "I haven't been infected for years" comments, because one really never knows, do one?

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
As to other 2nd opinion scanners, next week will be the same versus NPE (actually this video is part 1 of a 4 part series- next NPE, then Fun Facts about both NPE and KVRT); probably will bore most to tears but at least they will be equally short.

Thank you, as this is what I was wondering about, NPE, after watching your video.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In MalwareTips Hub, during the last years, We added KVRT as a mandatory tool, BUT making a bit tweak, since We found that KVRT did not / or missed scanning all the system risky folders in default settings.

We found that adding these 2 folders, many tests with the final verdict Clean, should have been System Infected:

1705758885320.png

Probably in this so special test scenario, there won't be any difference, but...

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
Stuff like these make me question the "I haven't been infected for years" comments, because one really never knows, do one?

This is my favorite quote from Joanna Rutkowska:
The inconvenient and somehow embarrassing truth for us is that there does not exist any reliable method to determine if a given system is not compromised. True, there is a number of conditions that can warn us that the system is compromised, but there is no limit on the number of checks that a system must pass in order to be deemed “clean”.

If an expert don't know whether their computer is compromised or not, how can average user know.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
This is my favorite quote from Joanna Rutkowska:
The inconvenient and somehow embarrassing truth for us is that there does not exist any reliable method to determine if a given system is not compromised. True, there is a number of conditions that can warn us that the system is compromised, but there is no limit on the number of checks that a system must pass in order to be deemed “clean”.

If an expert don't know whether their computer is compromised or not, how can average user know.
I've found loads of complex and truely unknown malware/backdoors. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it takes longer to find during an assessment. But we eventually come to the conclusion that what if a system file is compromised from MS end(supply chain). We can never truely know if a system is clean.

But we can ensure that all code on the machine is trusted. Every software analysed for it's purpose on that environment (abuse of legit tooling). All persistent mechanisms are checked as a part of these compromise assesments.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
But we can ensure that all code on the machine is trusted. Every software analysed for it's purpose on that environment (abuse of legit tooling). All persistent mechanisms are checked as a part of these compromise assesments.
Even then what if the malware remains dormant for a long period of time until a trigger is activated after let's say 6 months. A week of running software under assessment won't help you then and no one is decompiling every single piece of software to find the hidden backdoor. There is a very interesting read about how you can never fully trust anything:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In MalwareTips Hub, during the last years, We added KVRT as a mandatory tool, BUT making a bit tweak, since We found that KVRT did not / or missed scanning all the system risky folders in default settings.

We found that adding these 2 folders, many tests with the final verdict Clean, should have been System Infected:

View attachment 281046

Probably in this so special test scenario, there won't be any difference, but...
I never noticed the settings flyout before. The contrast and colors of the UI aren't the best. Thanks. (y)

Last edited:

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Even then what if the malware remains dormant for a long period of time until a trigger is activated after let's say 6 months. A week of running software under assessment won't help you then and no one is decompiling every single piece of software to find the hidden backdoor. There is a very interesting read about how you can never fully trust anything:
That's what I meant by supply chain attacks. Agreed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.