Troubleshoot A weird sound as if sth accidentally shuts down

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
After I upgraded my HP Desktop with a SSD, I started to hear a sound of sth that shuts down. Exactly as the sound when you shut down the PC. After this happens, I shut down the PC better not to have anything broken. What I noticed is when I shut down the PC I hear the sound of the DVD like it is reading a dvd.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing. I have a little knowledge when it comes to Hardware
The desktop is behaving as it is expected to. I don't know what this sound is and what is causing it. But I am %100 sure that this started to happen after the SSD upgrade and maybe because of the way I attached it to the PC.

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Other than this SSD, do you still have mechanical HDD installed? Windows under default power configurations will automatically power down HDD after a period of time. Sometimes you can hear the sound of it being powered down.

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Other than this SSD, do you still have mechanical HDD installed? Windows under default power configurations will automatically power down HDD after a period of time. Sometimes you can hear the sound of it being powered down.
Yes! So nothing to worry about? What if I change the power plan? Thank you for your reply!

Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

HD powerdowns actually can speed decay of mechanical HD's. I recommend turning it off. The constant power down, then spin up adds wear and tear but saves power, personally I don't care to save power myself and always disable 'green' nonsense.

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
HD powerdowns actually can speed decay of mechanical HD's. I recommend turning it off. The constant power down, then spin up adds wear and tear but saves power, personally I don't care to save power myself and always disable 'green' nonsense.
Thank you for your reply! Could you explain further please? How can I turn off that feature? Does changing the power plan to "High Performance" fix it?

I have found this in settings.
Screenshot (2).png

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Hit the down arrow until it says 'never'.
Thank you very much @ForgottenSeer 58943 ! Are there any other settings that need to be configured when running OS on SSD? What about fast boot? Thanks for your help and your time!

Seeking warmth? or seeking revenge? LOL

@ForgottenSeer 58943 already explained that very well. But, if you rarely or very rarely access the contents of this HDD then it should be okay to let windows power it down.
I have only some GBs of files not more than %10 of the drive. Music and documents. Thank you

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.