aaronpackers config

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
You could always give Hitman Pro a try for the purpose of scanning, if you're going to use it to remove any found threats however, it's going to start the 30-day trail. There's also EMET for hardening found here. Also be careful with Norton Power Eraser, it has some very aggressive heuristics and can end up causing more harm then good.

Other things you could try include: Trying out LastPass, a great password manager. Installing VTUploader, for easy file scanning on VirusTotal and Sandboxie for running unknown applications safely.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
endejan said:
You could always give Hitman Pro a try for the purpose of scanning, if you're going to use it to remove any found threats however, it's going to start the 30-day trail. There's also EMET for hardening found here. Also be careful with Norton Power Eraser, it has some very aggressive heuristics and can end up causing more harm then good.

Other things you could try include: Trying out LastPass, a great password manager. Installing VTUploader, for easy file scanning on VirusTotal and Sandboxie for running unknown applications safely.

I DID use Hitman Pro, but it expired... also, thanks for showing those other stuff....

thewolfsmith72 said:
With thoughts regarding your earlier post, you should try a third party firewall like Comodo Firewall or Zone Alarm Free Firewall or Online Armor Free Firewall or Pctools Free Firewall.. There are a few other choices out there also. Personally Comodo is my favorite..

I, myself, LOVE COMODO, but unfortunately, my system doesn't, and I can go well without it... I used to use it, but now I just use Windows Firewall, as I'm not at risk for anything... Also, from the last post I posted, I just wanted to know if it was possible to get hacked through an IP Address, and hearing from most people that it wasn't possible, I don't think it's very necessary. It's also very heavy on my system along with Emsisoft.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
There are more threats than what you asked us about, more reasons than that to have a firewall. However, if you can't use COMODO the next best thing would be Online Armor, also free and from Emsisioft.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection:
EMA is a pretty good layer of defense.Are you using any custom settings?

On-demand scanners:
aaronpackers said:
I DID use Hitman Pro, but it expired... also, thanks for showing those other stuff....
You can still scan with Hitman Pro even after the trail period has ended.
Also you should know that ,Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully and scan with it only when you have an active infection on your system.

Virtualization :

Like endejan said , you should definitely use a virtualization software in order to increase your security.
Sandboxie is a good a mature program that you can try, as an alternative option you can also try :

BufferZone Pro (Free) - link
BufferZone creates an isolated environment called the Virtual Zone. The Virtual Zone "buffers" your PC from all forms of known or unknown attacks that originate from the Internet and external devices. All of your private information is secured in a trusted and separated environment.
More details - link

Additional browser plugins

Apart from the recommended add-ons in the previous posts you can also try :

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

Extra protection :
Norton DNS (Free) - link
It automatically blocks dangerous Web sites so you can surf the Web without worrying about getting infected or scammed.
Norton DNS - a safer and smarter way to surf the Web.

You can find here some other security tips, that will help you better secure your system.

As a personal opinion, I would use this combo : BufferZone + Emsisoft Anti-Malware + WOT which will give your system a very high degree of protection.

BufferZone at work :

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
I will use Defensewall too if i was on WinXp
DefenseWall is a paid product......You can't really use it unless you buy it..... :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
aaronpackers: You can use Hitman Pro for another time, just make sure if Hitman Pro detects something try to use like MBAM to remove those infections detect by HMP.

I

illumination

aaronpackers said:
endejan said:

thewolfsmith72 said:
With thoughts regarding your earlier post, you should try a third party firewall like Comodo Firewall or Zone Alarm Free Firewall or Online Armor Free Firewall or Pctools Free Firewall.. There are a few other choices out there also. Personally Comodo is my favorite..

I, myself, LOVE COMODO, but unfortunately, my system doesn't, and I can go well without it... I used to use it, but now I just use Windows Firewall, as I'm not at risk for anything... Also, from the last post I posted, I just wanted to know if it was possible to get hacked through an IP Address, and hearing from most people that it wasn't possible, I don't think it's very necessary. It's also very heavy on my system along with Emsisoft.

It is up to you as what you run on your system, I was just giving a few suggestions.. If you decide you would like to run a third party firewall, there are other options besides Comodo. You can also post your system specs here Hardware Showcase and have members of the forum assess your system as well to see how you could potentially upgrade for better performance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.