Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Hi guys. I've spent this morning testing some AV's with Malware Hub samples, tweaking settings for better protection. I usually use Emsisoft Internet Security, but lastly i'm a bit concerned about its detection and protection against new malware. I have experience with ESET and Kaspersky, but i was looking for a lighter solution, not too bloated. I was a bit surprised, when i tested Avast with Jack's Maximum Protection Guide, that the results were near perfect in all samples i ran on Malware Hub, while other suites, as ESET, Avira or Emsisoft, had worse results. Now, i'm running Avast Free and i wonder what components do you have installed and what cons have you found in a regular use of this AV.

Thanks

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
If u want a bloatfree avast just install web and realtime shield. u dont need more to have the core protection moduls and for maximum security. i dont use it anymore but found no cons, it is realy light, one of the stablest av u can have and realy good protection if u tweak it abit. nothing wrong with using avast :) if someone of my family want a av, i always recomment avast because its easy and can be made to sit and forget.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
As above, install just file shield and web shield, enable pup detection, emable hardened mode, also you can set HIPS too max.

I have experience with ESET and Kaspersky, but i was looking for a lighter solution, not too bloated.
Well, to be honest, ESET is also great choice, it's not overloaded at all and the performance is great. If you are sure your system is 100% clean, or when you install ESET right after reinstalling Windows, you can apply learning mode for HIPS for 2 weeks and then switch to interactive/policy-based mode. It'll give you a great protection.

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
As above, install just file shield and web shield, enable pup detection, emable hardened mode, also you can set HIPS too max.

Well, to be honest, ESET is also great choice, it's not overloaded at all and the performance is great. If you are sure your system is 100% clean, or when you install ESET right after reinstalling Windows, you can apply learning mode for HIPS for 2 weeks and then switch to interactive/policy-based mode. It'll give you a great protection.

Thanks. I found always ESET Hips too talkative, even after learning mode.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
avast is good against most kinds of malwares
however, a little doubtful against javascript malwares -> disabling wscript.exe is the preventive method

I really like avast as I installed it for all my friends and family members with some tweaks
I also blocked ads so it may prevent most annoying popups and ads

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Also using Avast with hardened mode aggressive. Tried out a couple of suites on Vm with malware from hub and other places. My conclusion is that Avast suites me perfect and that no AV is enough by it self. Need other means of protection in order to give enough protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.