OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hello to you all..

Let's start by saying I'm not a security expert, but I've used and tested so many programs, I can't even remember. Many friends of mine almost always call me to fix some security related issues on their computer or configure their newly-purchased PC.
Antivirus programs have never been an issue with me. You're gonna test 5 or 6, but in the end, you'll find the best solution. The most hard decision regards firewalls. Basic or advanced users, doesn't matter, at some point had (or will have) an issue with a firewall. Many can't stand the hussle and use the Windows Firewall. I understand.. No compatibility issues, no system slowdown.. But as an XP user, WF for me is not enough.
Here's why: WF doesn't provide adequate outbound protection. But here comes another question. Do we really need an outbound firewall? Many would say: no. Simple as that. If you practice your common sense and know what you download, you run no risk. They advocate that if you let a virus slip into your PC, you've lost the fight. So, your focus should be put onto proactive defense (fight something before it gets into your PC). Also, if this virus gets in your machine, it could possibly harm your firewall, rendering it useless. And here we come to outbound firewalls.. All of them provide inbound protection, too. Of course, for an ordinary user, they might seem a little too 'advanced'. And, the truth is, they are.. But who can reassure you that what got into your PC or even what YOU let get into your PC, is trusted? Here the outbound firewall takes action.. Its HIPS component, its auto-sandbox feature or even by blocking any outbound request made by an unrecognised executable. So, for me, there is no question.. Outbound firewalls are absolutely necessary in someone's security configuration. Even if you trust your judgement 100%, you can't simply trust the internet or even your antivirus..
Now, one more question.. Which is better: a hardware or a software firewall? Of course, we're gonna discuss only the inbound protection. Hardware firewalls are the ones that protect you when you're behind a router. Software ones are those you download and install into your computer. It's true that the inbound protection of hardware firewalls is more than adequate. But, still, you can't completely rely on them. A hacker could remotely access your router and disable it. Now, you need a software firewall to protect you in such a case.
All of the above, could seem obvious and might have been talked about a lot here. But still there is no plain answer to what someone should use. In my opinion, regarding security, you should take the best measures possible to protect your PC and, in most cases, your personal data. Even being behind a router, you should use a software firewall.. One with outbound protection. This way the possibilities of malware destroying your PC are minimized unimaginably.

What do you think?
I would like the discussion to be about these four kinds of firewalls and not specific personal firewalls.

Reactions: silversurfer

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Alright, let me try to do my best to explain.

Windows firewall is almost definitely enough for Windows 7,8. In fact, many firewall products merely takes control of Windows firewall and does the decision making and configurations for you. However, in the case of XP, it is a totally different story as the firewall is not as developed.

Windows firewall does have outbound rules. However, digging into it is certainly overwhelming for non-technical users. That's why there are programs that provide a nicer interface to control windows firewall.

Regarding software vs. hardware firewall, both have its merits. However, I would think hardware firewalls will definitely have the edge. When you face an incoming attack, it is definitely better to stop it at the network level, because the exploit itself doesn't even reach your workstation. Similarly, if your PC is owned, hardware firewall can constitute a last ditch attempt to prevent your info from being stolen. Software firewall can't help you if the attacker has a high degree of privilege (e.g. Kernel mode). However, note that most home firewalls/routers are cheap and do not really provide such high protection.

I hope I have answered your questions :). Anyway, it is time to move away from XP. A kernel exploit is more than enough to make a joke of even the best software protections. No firewall, HIPS, sandbox can save you from this. At least a hardware firewall can do some damage control though.

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
@Cch123 - Thanks for taking the time to reply. You expressed more or less what I wanted to say, but more fluently, since english is not my native language.
As for using XP, it's on my laptop that I keep no personal data, not even my email account. I only use it for testing purposes, here on MalwareTips. On my main PC, I use WF (Windows 7).

Last edited:

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I have openwrt firmware on my router but I don't know how to configure it properly. :p

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I think the windows-firewall is enough if you have a good antivirus, including a good behavior blocker... then you not needed software-firewall with proactive defense. on my main system I use Emsisoft AM with windows 7 firewall. who wants control the outgoing traffic you can install Windows Firewall Control ...

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.