About Qihoo's QVM AI Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wave

I'm not an expert in Qihoo products, but some quick Googling has told me their product has had QVM AI since 2010 and that this is their QVM II AI. Potentially an improvement in their existing AI engine, but all their other engines are still the same.
Like @Wave said. No offense to them but i personally still do not trust them enough to use their product.
It's all just marketing, social engineering as well. They want you to believe they are bringing something powerful to the table, something that hasn't been done the same before....

... They add the big bold headers with the catchy titles to attract your attention, then they get you reading on so they can mislead you into believing they have some sort of revolutionary AI system implemented into Qihoo.

The following quotes backup the above:
QVM is a model that established from massive virus sample data and discovers evolution pattern of malware and viruses. With its self-improving and self-learning skills, QVM is able to respond accordingly to the increasing types and number of cyber attacks.
There are also other popular security technologies with AI involved, including User and Entity Behavior Analytics (UEBA), End-point Detection Response (EDR), and Network Detection Response (NDR). These technologies don’t just simply detect viruses and wipe them off, but they also collect data from users and entities to uncover security risks that criminals may exploit.

Nice try Qihoo. Notice how they suddenly start mentioning other technologies within their product/s such as this UEBA/EDR/NDR? It's all part of the marketing trick. ;)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Nice try Qihoo. Notice how they suddenly start mentioning other technologies within their product/s such as this UEBA/EDR/NDR? It's all part of the marketing trick.

Isn't there something to the fact that this is a blog on their site, though? I guess I thought it was educational, and I would say it's up to a user to know how these features compare to other technology. What should they say on their own blog? "Well, we employ the same techniques as everyone else, so it doesn't matter what you use?" That wouldn't make sense to me.

Also, isn't marketing part of the fabric of the security software business now? I don't see any lies in the article. That I would be against. Anyway, someone might read who isn't aware of the technology, so I would expect that someplace any malware company would want to state in this type of fashion for the record why their software is good/best.

I do use Qihoo by the way, and I do think it's a pretty good program. Actually, I think it's really good. I do sense, though, that there is more to concerns over Qihoo than their marketing techniques...like who is getting information gathered by Qihoo? That's what I feel is the deepest concern over Qihoo with those who don't like their ways of doing things.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It's all just marketing, social engineering as well. They want you to believe they are bringing something powerful to the table, something that hasn't been done the same before....

... They add the big bold headers with the catchy titles to attract your attention, then they get you reading on so they can mislead you into believing they have some sort of revolutionary AI system implemented into Qihoo.

The following quotes backup the above:

Nice try Qihoo. Notice how they suddenly start mentioning other technologies within their product/s such as this UEBA/EDR/NDR? It's all part of the marketing trick. ;)

Not sure why this was called for, but all antivirus vendors talks about their distinct technologies on their site. It's not called marketing, it's called educating their users.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
It's not called marketing, it's called educating their users.
For me, it's both. :D
As long as they state no lies, I'm fine with these kinds of articles. In fact, I like reading them. They are, as you say, educational. :)
But of course, as Wave pointed out, this is part of their whole marketing strategy. It is marketing when you state how good, distinct, or innovative your product is. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you are aware on the terminologies then basically the revolvement of AI is same.

So what makes it different? The maintainability and ability to detect more accurate threats without human inspection.

Yes it can be marketing but a slight factor.

The marketing strategy I know is how the awards and achievements showcase like 100℅ detection rates powered by innovative techniques

R

Ramona

I've used Qihoo since the Internet Security, it's really good, the QVM is one of the best I've seen so far. I see a lot of people that don't know what they are talking about, QVM and other modules make this product really good. Just look at the Sponsored State Attacks, Qihoo detected almost all of them or look at the last test done by AvLab.pl, Qihoo protected against almost everything, this article is not about marketing or lies.

PS: Did anyone look at the Avast's CyberCapture and how it doesn't work only if the file is downloaded and you have the options enabled in the privacy section ? On the Website it looks like one of the best, if you do some research you will see that it's not like that.

@Wave can you prove what you are talking about or just saying because you don't like the product (or you don't know what you are talking about)?

They add the big bold headers with the catchy titles to attract your attention, then they get you reading on so they can mislead you into believing they have some sort of revolutionary AI system implemented into Qihoo.

D

Deleted member 2913

Damn, almost all security providers mention AI in their products, technology, mechanism, etc... Some mention in the product details, some mention in the white papers, etc...

I like the AI developed by an individual "Dan", VoodooShield Dev.
It works good & you can check the AI details too.
VS AI 2 is coming in couple weeks And I am waiting to see the improvements/optimization, etc...

R

Ramona

Why do Qihoo use older versions of their products on testing sites? For example using version 5 of Q360 TS on AV Test?

Because they said that Qihoo cheated and lied in tests, after that they notice that they messed up and started testing Qihoo again and people called them out because of it and all the articles about Qihoo cheating so they don't test the EN version and they only test the CH version.

The bad part is that the EN version is now better then the CH (more updates and components).

The only thing I found funny about Qihoo is that the TS version has ads inside (non-intrusive) and the TSE version doesn't.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Damn, almost all security providers mention AI in their products, technology, mechanism, etc... Some mention in the product details, some mention in the white papers, etc...
It's because they are using machine learning, which is part or sub-set of the whole of Artificial Intelligence. :) It's not true AI, but it is AI because it "learns" through the algorithms put by humans. This is how AVs' clouds now work (e.g. Kaspersky's KSN, AVAST's cloud, ESET's cloud, etc.).

But, they would specifically mention "AI" because that term is what makes a potential customer interested. "AI" is currently a futuristic term, and therefore mere mention of it makes a person excited. In short, it is stated primarily for marketing. :)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Because they said that Qihoo cheated and lied in tests, after that they notice that they messed up and started testing Qihoo again and people called them out because of it and all the articles about Qihoo cheating so they don't test the EN version and they only test the CH version.

The bad part is that the EN version is now better then the CH (more updates and components).

The only thing I found funny about Qihoo is that the TS version has ads inside (non-intrusive) and the TSE version doesn't.
Thank you for the clarification that makes sense. It's a shame really because as you said the EN version is good and by not testing it AV Test are doing consumers a disservice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.