Troubleshoot About Windows 8.1 installation

ARAHTHUL

Thread author
Feb 16, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
None.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None.
Hello everybody! I've just registered on this site just to ask a question about installation mode of W8.1.

At this moment, I have W7 Ultimate and it runs very well on an old PC, Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 1.6 GHz and 2 GB RAM (on C drive is installed the OS and I have another partition, D, for the regular stuff). So, let's say something went wrong and the OS behave like it shouldn't, or some errors just appear and can't be corrected, or anything else, it doesn't matter.

Now, I decide to reformat the partition where the OS is installed, but just this partition and not other partitions. I erase that partition, I recreate it, install it and voila! everything is fine, and I still have the second partition untouched. This is a scenario when, like I said, something went wrong and the only solution is reinstalling windows but you want to keep your other stuff.

I want to give W8.1 a try, but this comes to my mind: if I choose the above method, it'll be easy like with W7, or I need to erase both partitions, recreate it, choose one of them for OS and then proceed with installation? Because this is not what I want.

Thank you very much and I'm sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well the process should not be complicated much when dealing to install OS in partitions, just select where its contain blank.

Note: As long you have older OS version installed then none should cause any trouble. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ARAHTHUL
Upvote 0

ARAHTHUL

Thread author
Feb 16, 2015
Well the process should not be complicated much when dealing to install OS in partitions, just select where its contain blank.

Note: As long you have older OS version installed then none should cause any trouble. :)
Hi!
Well, yes, I know that is not a complicated process, I know how to install windows on a PC, but this one 8.1 is new to me and I want to be sure that, when I will install it on C drive, the D drive remains intact/untouched.
I was thinking that W8.1 has, maybe, other standards so-to-speak when reformating partitions.

Upvote 0

ARAHTHUL

Thread author
Feb 16, 2015
Thank all of you very much! I really appreciate your effort!

I've looked at this, and well the first part of the installation process looks like W7 one, wich is good. But this is a clean install of W8.1 and I don't really want this, basically this is what I'm trying to say. What will happen if I don't make a clean install and when I must choose the right partition for it (let's say in that window there are my 2 partition C <<where my actual OS is>> & D <<stuff>>), I select partition C, remove it (and by remove it, it means that all my applications & OS files are also deleted), THEN I recreate the same partition (basically the same C drive) and then click next?

You see? I didn't specified anything about the D drive because If I choose a clean install then yes, I would remove both of them, recreate them back and then proceed with the installation.

Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.