• Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Lenovo Z500
i5-3230M 4 cores
Geforce GT 635M
8G DDR3 RAM
900GB HDD
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

Abzec5

Thread author
Dec 24, 2020
Hi all,
I just got a 30 day trial of Foresight, with the AV turned off, it supposedly filters web traffic with it's darklayer guard. The problem is it's rendered defective if you are using a VPN, in this case Nord. I was wondering if there was a way to allow it to filter traffic after it has been encrypted/decrypted by Nord?

Also I have Avast free and MBAM Pro, both have web shields enabled, and have worked fine together for ages, but I am wondering if they will also 'play nice' with Foresight as well.

If anyone has any xp with Foresight or can answer the questions, that would be greatly appreciated.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It seems overkill there in real-time protection Avast Free + MBAM Pro + ForeSight 🤔

In Photos and Files Backup, consider also cloud services.

In Backup and RollBack, You may use Macrium Reflect Free.

In Browsers and Extensions, You may add uBlock Origin or AdGuard AdBlocker.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I just got a 30 day trial of Foresight, with the AV turned off, it supposedly filters web traffic with it's darklayer guard. The problem is it's rendered defective if you are using a VPN, in this case Nord. I was wondering if there was a way to allow it to filter traffic after it has been encrypted/decrypted by Nord?
I believe it's no way that Thor Foresight works properly together with any VPN, web filtering (DNS by Thor) seems to be possible only without VPN.
Honestly, to be sure you have to contact support by Heimdal:

Abzec5

Thread author
Dec 24, 2020
Yeah basically I got a response from them:

" Thank you for contacting Heimdal Security Support.

It is not recommended to use VPN alongside Thor Foresight. Most VPN clients create an adapter that uses a certain DNS through which the network traffic will be filtered.
Thor Foresight is also a DNS based security software and it will not be able to set its own DNS on that adapter that the VPN client created previously. Thus, the Dark Layer Guard (the traffic filtering engine) will not be able to offer the protection environment that promises.

It's important to point out that there are some VPNs that do work alongside Thor as they allow to add to exclusion certain IPs. One of those VPNs is CISCO and it's only for enterprise usage.
For more information, please read this support article: Thor And VPN Clients

In conclusion, Thor and VPN clients will not work as they are both DNS based applications."

Yeah so unless someone knows a way around with exclusions or exceptions, it looks like I'll be sticking with Nord, I already paid for a 3 year subscription so I won't be letting them go to waste.

Shame really, seems like a good, innovative security application, anyway, DAE have any other application recommendations that do anything similar in regards to web filtering?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you read the review of @McMcbrad for Avast:
You will see that Avast is great on its own, no need for MBAM Pro and Thor Foresight.
Try without them and I think you will see a nice speed increase for your computer.
You use the Avast Secure Browser that has a buit-in adblocker and passwordmanager.
I don't know if it's kept up to date with the latest chromium security updates and if it uses Google Safe Browsing.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your configuration. Avast is already quite good on it's own and the extra AVs you have installed will hardly contribute to your security.
If you need extra boost of security, you can increase heuristic sensitivity to max, enable hardened mode and set Ransomware Shield to "strict" mode.

One suggestion from me, use Chrome if possible. This will add an extra layer powered by ESET in the form of Google Safe Browsing and will make sure you are getting latest security updates as soon as they are released. I can see current Chrome version is 87, but Avast Secure Browser still uses 86. You already have a system-wide web blocker in Avast (works for every app), so more Avast technology is not needed.

I would recommend that you use uBlock Origin as an adblocker and possibly, you can install the Avast browser extension which provides user-based ratings, together with the blacklist, similar to WOT.

Kind regards

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.