Advice Request Ad-free Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How to block ads and images on Chrome Android, and generally speaking, how to get the cleanest, most ad-free experience on an Android phone?
I downloaded and installed Adguard Android, but it seems to be browser-specific. It said it works only with Yandex and one other supported browser.

D

Deleted member 178

I downloaded and installed Adguard Android, but it seems to be browser-specific. It said it works only with Yandex and one other supported browser.
I use Chrome with Adguard Mobile, it does block ads...:sneaky:
Chrome is the Android default browser , why Adguard for Android won't support it...? come on...

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Adguard works device-wise, meaning it attempts to block ads in a browser just like it would for any other app.
Thanks. That's what I thought. Apparently, there is some issue with the default browser on Xiaomi devices, but now that I changed Chrome to default, this problem should be resolved.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I don't use Chrome but I use Adguard on mobile and really speaking I have forgotten that ads actually exist on Android.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use Chrome with Adguard Mobile, it does block ads...:sneaky:
Chrome is the Android default browser , why Adguard for Android won't support it...? come on...
Answer from moderator on Adguard forum:
"Unfortunately Google Chrome on Android doesn't support browser extensions. "
He is speaking of the Chrome store app, I assume.
Unfortunately, the full Adguard app seems to conflict with 3rd party VPN.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
But can you use system-wide Adguard with a VPN?
Android supports only the use of one VPN at any one time. This is the limitation in using Android.

You maybe able to use an adblocker by rooting the device or use one which supports Samsung Knox. Then you can use a separate VPN

Many apps use VPN like adblocker (Adguard, AdClear, Blokada, DNS66 etc), firewall, privacy app (like Recon, Lumen Privacy Monitor etc) and, of course, the dedicated VPN

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It does blocks ads on Chrome.
Maybe you have the system-wide AG, installed by APK? That one works with Chrome.
I was talking about the limited, Chrome store app.

Reactions: Weebarra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ad-Free? Not quite, not for Android.

Chrome for Android does not support extensions.

Adguard or Blokada for system-wide blocking. A local VPN cannot be used with another VPN - previously mentioned.

Switch to an alternative browser for Android.

On your home network, consider Pi-Hole for Universal filtering - there's a thread about that.

@ZeroDay posted about Librem 5 – A Security and Privacy Focused Phone – Purism

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You can use Adguard with HTTP proxy and then you get to use another VPN app both working together.
Adguard has a good documentation on this, search for it, or find it inside the paid app.

Reactions: Weebarra

Takashi94

Level 1
Verified
Mar 11, 2018
+1
I decided to ditch my 3rd party VPN, and go with Apguard system-wide.
I mainly use Hide.me & Windscribe, both are great except locations are limited. Adguard seems to be awesome I installed it, when turned on all browser ads are gone, it seems to require premium account to banish ads including in apps, in its entirety.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.