Advice Request Adaptive Defence 360

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rodney74

Very interesting conversation. Some of it over my head, most of it I understood. IF Panda is that good, and this business model were affordable, then many home users would buy it. I assume that is not true.

The fact is I don't think any of the manufacturers want to make "A PERFECT" solution, if they did, it would put EVERYONE out of business and I mean everyone.

Combine all the features discussed here into one product, and what happens to Comodo, Avira, Kaspersky, Avast, ETC

So it's in everyones benefit to NOT produce such a product, and IF YOU decided to try it, you might get bought out or get your legs broken.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Emmanuellws

Level 3
Verified
Mar 11, 2017
@Emmanuellws Do you believe that SRPs would not prevent fileless attacks?

SRP on fileless attack? I used it before...on path level its really hardcoded SRP.... so many levels...so many exes,vbs,js,jar,bat in Users context....it is powerful built-in tool...in GPO....BUT... I been there...maintaining long term on SRP is a pain in the ass....sometimes it could cause problems..on hash....damn...i need to get those hash from the user's computers....done that...moved to PAD360 already.

Emmanuellws

Level 3
Verified
Mar 11, 2017
Very interesting conversation. Some of it over my head, most of it I understood. IF Panda is that good, and this business model were affordable, then many home users would buy it. I assume that is not true.

The fact is I don't think any of the manufacturers want to make "A PERFECT" solution, if they did, it would put EVERYONE out of business and I mean everyone.

Combine all the features discussed here into one product, and what happens to Comodo, Avira, Kaspersky, Avast, ETC

So it's in everyones benefit to NOT produce such a product, and IF YOU decided to try it, you might get bought out or get your legs broken.

Well at least I didn''t go to other product or brand forum and bash about their products there. It the user's choice. They come here to bash because they thought Panda is bad. Well, I just shared the product's feature that I think it is good since I already tested Sophos Intercept X, Voodooshield...and I am being Neutral to all this similar product...I didnt bash...I even advise their users to check for MD5 poisoning status. So why bothered with my post? And only in this threads I say no to antivirus which heavily rely on HIPS and behaviour protection only and signature based protection since I need something that can help my not-so-IT-savvy users to decide what's good and what's bad.

Wow...I am going to reach 100 post soon... :)

Last edited:
R

Rodney74

Well at least I didn''t go to other product or brand forum and bash about their products there. It the user's choice. They come here to bash because they thought Panda is bad. Well, I just shared the product's feature that I think it is good since I already tested Sophos Intercept X, Voodooshield...and I am being Neutral to all this similar product...I didnt bash...I even advise their users to check for MD5 poisoning status. So why bothered with my post? And only in this threads I say no to antivirus which heavily rely on HIPS and behaviour protection only and signature based protection since I need something that can help my not-so-IT-savvy users to decide what's good and what's bad.

Wow...I am going to reach 100 post soon... :)

Hey possibly we are not understanding each other... NO bashing from me, just saying IF panda is as good as you say (and I believe you) then it must be for businesses only and not affordable for home users...

Then just thinking to myself, and noting all the responses, everyone has something they like (some like firewalls, some like anti-exe ETC)... So I just said too bad they don't make a product with all these features....

BUT it's probably not in anyone best interest to make a perfect product, as it would get bought out, or someone would get a visit late a night, with a small metal object pointed at their head.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
About using SRP, I would leave the decision to the admin, just like what @Emmanuellws does. If the admin doesn't want SRP, then it's his decision. I guess there are solutions out there that are effective (more or less) than SRP. There are reasons why business-class suites of some AV vendors like Panda's, Kaspersky's, Sophos', etc., are developed. :)

I think the main strength of Panda Adaptive Defense is the whitelisting part. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it does well in testing. You just have to think about Kaspersky's TAM, SecureAPlus', AppGuard's User Space Protection, etc. It's default-deny that is powering Panda's Adaptive Defense. Given this, I think it is already tantamount to having an SRP. :)

D

Deleted member 178

thats what I meant too..do i have to repeat that thing again? If you all know since ages...that if a program just solely doing app whitelisting, it won't be able to protect against filesless attack. thanks for agreeing on me.
It is why i don't use worthless programs like all those obsolete AVs.

sorry about the images though. Still learning how to use the forum's feature :p
I'll try to find out about the spoiler pictures thingy

highlight the image link and you have a small cross icon on the top of the box (nera the floppy icon) , click on it and select spoiler

R

Rodney74

Here ya Go.... The cream of the crop...

What is default deny? Essentially, it is application whitelisting. Application whitelisting is the preventative detection method, proven to be more effective in preventing malware attacks than the traditional methods used by many anti-virus programs.

Google senior security engineer, Darren Bilby, has asked for research to be focused on more meaningful defenses such as whitelisting applications, instead of intrusion detection and anti-virus solutions.

But what if there is an anti-virus solution that includes an automated whitelist? And what if this security solution was available for home users and business use? Well there is. PC Matic is available for home use, and implements an automated global whitelist, while PC Matic Pro is available for enterprise and government use.

The application whitelisting approach focuses on preventing malware infections before they occur.

Reactions: Emmanuellws

Emmanuellws

Level 3
Verified
Mar 11, 2017
Windows Built-in SRP is complicated or time consuming for some to maintain i admit; it is why i use Appguard (im sure everyone knew i will mention it :p ) , do the same but does it simpler and better.

I bumped into Appguard before as I was searching for antimalware + application whitelisting solution. Does it work like Voodooshield? I only managed to try Voodooshield and Sophos Intercept X. How is the price per-unit in USD? Well you know in Malaysia, the exchange rate here is quite f****ed up. So, I have to get the best and at the same time affordable...and with local support and reseller. I can't really get everything that I want...perhaps Appguard is also hard for us to get a local support and reseller. So Panda is easy because they have an office here in Malaysia. Local resellers selling Palo Alto, Barracuda, Kaspersky, Sophos, Cylance also have...but like I said...it is the price that bothers me at this moment and the numbers of product available from reseller and local support.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
AppGuard doesn't work like VoodooShield. VoodooShield blocks or asks, AppGuard just blocks.

AppGuard basically divides the system into two. One is the system-space. The other is the user-space. System-space is where all legit applications reside. All of them are allowed to run without restrictions (except when they're put into Guarded Apps list). User-Space is where programs, legitimate or not, aren't allowed to run, (except when they're put into Guarded Apps list or have valid digital signatures).

Guarded applications are allowed to run, but are not allowed to do certain things, like reading and writing to protected areas of the system and registry.

It has many reviews already here or in the YouTube. :)

Emmanuellws

Level 3
Verified
Mar 11, 2017
AppGuard doesn't work like VoodooShield. VoodooShield blocks or asks, AppGuard just blocks.

AppGuard basically divides the system into two. One is the system-space. The other is the user-space. System-space is where all legit applications reside. All of them are allowed to run without restrictions (except when they're put into Guarded Apps list). User-Space is where programs, legitimate or not, aren't allowed to run, (except when they're put into Guarded Apps list or have valid digital signatures).

Guarded applications are allowed to run, but are not allowed to do certain things, like reading and writing to protected areas of the system and registry.

It has many reviews already here or in the YouTube. :)

Well, Application Whitelisting is the way to go to fight against zero-day ransomware. With a deadline on solving the ransomware and zeroday malware given to me by the management, I am too consumed on those limited number of products I mentioned earlier until I ended up with Panda Adaptive Defense 360. Finally Panda AD360 is in place...and now I can sleep soundly without any nightmare. Thanks for sharing brief info on Appguard.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
You manage a park of 900+ machines and you use AVs? What OS do you use ? Home versions?
Personally, no way as an system admin, i would rely on any AVs for securing my network.
In big corporate park, you must use SRP, group policies, virtualization/rollback systems to lock workstations. AVs are obsolete and now unreliable for corporations. 0-days evolve to quickly for any AVs to catch up , and BB or whatever features an AV may have always requires user input , skills and time, and system admins don't have the luxury of time.
Companies' workstations are supposed to be static system (OS + only the resquired soft for the employees to work), then you lock it from modifications (exception may be required for some departments).

Indeed. Quite a few years back i wanted to get a job at a financial firm for IT maintenance, a big one with a lot of accountants, with a lot of machines (only 250+). At the interview, they asked me 3 questions, it took like 15 seconds. It took a lot more to dress up for that interview :)) They thanked me and they said they would reply to my first email. They never did obviously.
Big networks use completely, i mean totally different technologies than the average user at home, stuff you don't get to know about only when working with those firms/corporations.
The level of knowledge to get to work there is huge, they can't risk it will all the training in the world they can and will provide. Obviously at my interview they asked me stuff i only heard about but never used.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Well, Application Whitelisting is the way to go to fight against zero-day ransomware. With a deadline on solving the ransomware and zeroday malware given to me by the management, I am too consumed on those limited number of products I mentioned earlier until I ended up with Panda Adaptive Defense 360. Finally Panda AD360 is in place...and now I can sleep soundly without any nightmare. Thanks for sharing brief info on Appguard.
Though AppGuard isn't generally considered an application whitelisting software, it can do what application whitelisting does. :) You may call the system-space as a "whitelist".

Anyway, I'm talking from the perspective of the home user version of AppGuard. I think its enterprise/business version may have a different configuration. After all, AppGuard is primarily an enterprise/business product, just made available to home users. :)

Anyway, if you're satisfied with Panda, then good for you. In the end, we must stay with what makes us confident and secure. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Anyway, I'm talking from the perspective of the home user version of AppGuard. I think its enterprise/business version may have a different configuration. After all, AppGuard is primarily an enterprise/business product, just made available to home users. :)
Exact, Appguard for corporation are tailormade.

Anyway, if you're satisfied with Panda, then good for you. In the end, we must stay with what makes us confident and secure. :)
Indeed, better use what you know. However, you can still research and practice on better methods/softwares for the future.

But what if there is an anti-virus solution that includes an automated whitelist? And what if this security solution was available for home users and business use? Well there is. PC Matic is available for home use, and implements an automated global whitelist, while PC Matic Pro is available for enterprise and government use.
And it is a big scam with hundreds of PFs. this crap was mentioned here and not even worth continuing the discussion about it.
Pc-Matic from PcPitstop ?

I bumped into Appguard before as I was searching for antimalware + application whitelisting solution. Does it work like Voodooshield?
Appguard works like this : User Review - AppGuard (note that the enterprise version doesn't have the Guarded Apps feature, pointless on corporate environment)
Voodooshield is a baby compared to it with all respect to VS (Dan don't bring the stick :p ) . Appguard is military/government agency grade software and was won twice the homeland security awards (i know awards are just awards...)

How is the price per-unit in USD? Well you know in Malaysia, the exchange rate here is quite f****ed up. So, I have to get the best and at the same time affordable...and with local support and reseller. I can't really get everything that I want...perhaps Appguard is also hard for us to get a local support and reseller.
Indeed, the price may be an obstacle to you, i can't tell you, you have to contact the sales department, also and i'm not aware of a local Malaysian reseller for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Implementing stuff has costs and takes time and skill.

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
[QUOTE = "Emmanuellws, poste: 612814, membre: 60108"] Eh bien, l'application est Whitelisting la voie à suivre pour lutter contre ransomware zéro jour. Avec une date limite sur la résolution du ransomware et les logiciels malveillants zeroday m'a été donnée par la direction, je suis trop consumé sur le nombre limité de produits je l'ai mentionné plus tôt jusqu'à ce que je fini avec la Défense Panda Panda Adaptive 360. Enfin Ad360 est en place ... et maintenant je peux dormir à poings fermés sans cauchemar. Merci d'avoir partagé info brève sur AppGuard. [/ QUOTE]

hello,so to resume l keep my av emsisoft security and l add an anti executable like voodooshield and l get a barrier almost impassable

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

You have a good point, the most interest products for customers are current/main flagship programs; considering where Adaptive Defense like others are more on the business scale and the terminologies will understand only by specific groups on how it performs.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
You have a good point, the most interest products for customers are current/main flagship programs; considering where Adaptive Defense like others are more on the business scale and the terminologies will understand only by specific groups on how it performs.

Also, considering the level of complexity and user friendliness of this av, the average user will almost always run away from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.