New Update Adblock Plus now sells ads

Will you continue to use Adblock Plus with their “acceptable ads” program?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I've already replaced Adblock Plus with ...

Votes: 23 76.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Adblock Plus is launching a new service that... uh, puts more ads on your screen.

Rather than stripping all ads from the internet forever, Adblock Plus is hoping to replace the bad ads — anything it deems too big, too ugly, or too intrusive — with good ads, ones that are smaller, subtler, and theoretically much less annoying.

It’ll begin doing that through an ad marketplace, which will allow blogs and other website operators to pick out so-called “acceptable” ads and place them on their pages. If a visitor using Adblock Plus comes to the page, they’ll be shown those “acceptable ads,” instead of whatever ads the site would normally run.

“It allows you to treat the two different ecosystems completely differently and monetize each one,” says Ben Williams, Adblock Plus’ operations and communications director. “And crucially, monetize the ad blockers on on their own terms.”

Full Article

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Adblock Plus is launching a new service that... uh, puts more ads on your screen.

Rather than stripping all ads from the internet forever, Adblock Plus is hoping to replace the bad ads — anything it deems too big, too ugly, or too intrusive — with good ads, ones that are smaller, subtler, and theoretically much less annoying.

It’ll begin doing that through an ad marketplace, which will allow blogs and other website operators to pick out so-called “acceptable” ads and place them on their pages. If a visitor using Adblock Plus comes to the page, they’ll be shown those “acceptable ads,” instead of whatever ads the site would normally run.

“It allows you to treat the two different ecosystems completely differently and monetize each one,” says Ben Williams, Adblock Plus’ operations and communications director. “And crucially, monetize the ad blockers on on their own terms.”

Full Article
That's bad news, I always liked ABP a lot, because of being user-friendly and still blocking most advertisements (especially those before you can watch videos on YT).
I hope the option to block even acceptable advertisements will not be affected by that move.

Thank you for this share @BoraMurdar!
ABP.JPG

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Y

yigido

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If advertisements were not so intrusive I would have no problem with them. But nowadays they take most of the screen, draw focus to themselves, start playing videos and sounds without any user choice, etc. Until advertisers step back I will continue using adblockers.

W

Wave

Well Adblock Plus are just being silly because no one wants ads whether they are good or bad, they just annoy us... right? Rid the advertisements and not only will your browsing experience be better overall, but faster too!

Basically advertisements are a spreading threat to online users and this threat is eliminated through... ad-blockers! (like uBlock, they don't want to replace ads, they want to rid them altogether!). :)

edit: I forgot to mention... If the advertisements aren't completely removed but only replaced, it would be relatively easy for someone experienced to have the "safe" and "good" advertisement hijacked with a malicious one.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

They have always had this policy. I actually like that, i have taken a look at their "Acceptable Ads" initiative a year ago and since then the option to unblock acceptable ads has been always on on my devices. This helps supporting websites and on any website that i have been warned for using an ablocker, i have sent the webmasters the info that my option is on and if they want me to see their ads they should make them acceptable. After all you don't want otherwise free services going paid just because of loosing ad revenue.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
At least 2 years ago I've replaced Adblock Plus (because of it's weight on performance and being too friendly with advertisers). For the past couple months though, I've been using Adguard (version 6 fixed all the problems I had with it in the past) and haven't missed any ads. I even go out of my way to add custom filters (for ads, anti-adblock, etc) or block elements for being too annoying or you simply don't want them in the way.

With all the malvertising (and the legitimate sites that can and have been affected by them), I considers ads (regardless of good, bad, helpful, unhelpful, etc) to be a security threat (and a threat to your browsing speed - especially for those with limited bandwidth). Put simply, if I can not circumvent your ads, I can not access your sites/certain functionalities, I will look for an alternative (which there are many of nowadays).

uBlock Origin (free) and Adguard (non-free application/free extension) are what I personally recommend for reliability, trust, and efficiency. There are also adblocking DNS like Adguard DNS (beta) (it is not a replacement for a dedicated adblocker - read page for more details).

Edit: Forgot to mentioned Adguard free extension

Last edited:
Y

yigido

Haven't used any ad-blocker in forever. Not really that paranoid of malvertising and there are tons of other things that annoy me more than ads. I had too many issues white-listing sites to show my support so I just dropped ad-blocking all together :p
Really! I want to congratulate you man!
At least you should use Privacy Badger for tracking ads. With this way you can help your favorite sites too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.