New Update Adblock Plus now sells ads

Will you continue to use Adblock Plus with their “acceptable ads” program?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I've already replaced Adblock Plus with ...

Votes: 23 76.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I admit it, I use AdGuard Premium and am proud to use and support such
an awesome piece of software. Ad's these days are not just an annoyance some
are now sporting malicious code, trackers and other nasty's. AdGuard is awesome
about updating and fixing bugs, they also keep their filters updated religiously.
That kind of behavior from a software company says all that needs saying.
If AdGuard should ever disappear, I would be up to trying Ublock, but with AdGuards
system wide protection to count on, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I used Adblock Plus years ago when I first found out about adblockers, then I moved to uBlock Origin which is a million times better than Adblock Plus in every aspect, then I moved to Adguard (desktop). Adguard is by far the best adblocker right now because it blocks ads system-wide and has a ton of features.
Adblock Plus has been losing users slowly for a while; this move is not going to benefit them.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I stopped using AdBlock Plus a couple of years ago so it doesn't matter lol. Now I'm using AdGuard (Premium), the best ad blocker today ( Sorry uBlock Origin users :p ).

If AdGuard should ever disappear, I would be up to trying Ublock, but with AdGuards
system wide protection to count on, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon ;)
Same here. ;)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Really! I want to congratulate you man!
At least you should use Privacy Badger for tracking ads. With this way you can help your favorite sites too.
And i don't really care about the tracking, it's not some person manually tracking me but an automated analysis for staticstical purposes and better ads. I just want these ads to follow the acceptable ads rules.

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
Replaced Adblock Plus a long long time ago for uBlock Origin. Adds are just too intrusive.

What I could live with are adds that are non script, non 3rd party, image adds (usually on the sides, or below content) if they are static. As soon as they start animations, flashing, moving it's goodbye you are on blacklist.

Y

yigido

And i don't really care about the tracking, it's not some person manually tracking me but an automated analysis for staticstical purposes and better ads. I just want these ads to follow the acceptable ads rules.

Have it your way :) It is your choice.
Think that, who tracks you with ads? Best developers of our generation are trying to serve better ads! :confused:
See what can they know about you!

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Have it your way :) It is your choice.
Think that, who tracks you with ads? Best developers of our generation are trying to serve better ads! :confused:
See what can they know about you!
How many users Google have? hundreds of millions at least. Am i a terrorist... not yet. Do they look at my photos because they know them, no. DO they listen to my phone calls? No. Do they care about the info they have about me except for ads and use of their services, no. I am ok with providing info to NSA if i have to. I am just living my life and using Google services because they are good. You are free to use Firefox or Here Maps and provide your info to another company. Or better don't use maps... get lost for "convenience". Your choice. Sorry if i was a little rude, i didn't meant it. :)

Y

yigido

How many users Google have? hundreds of millions at least. Am i a terrorist... not yet. Do they look at my photos because they know them, no. DO they listen to my phone calls? No. Do they care about the info they have about me except for ads and use of their services, no. I am ok with providing info to NSA if i have to. I am just living my life and using Google services because they are good. You are free to use Firefox or Here Maps and provide your info to another company. Or better don't use maps... get lost for "convenience". Your choice. Sorry if i was a little rude, i didn't meant it. :)
I am also not terrorist and I am and my people are also fighting against them.
My goverment and NSA maybe know my name, my photo, my college and so on... I am just trying to keep "my data" private! Thats the very tiny and hard to get point. You can know my name too "Yigido" :) but do you know that where I am surfing, what I am searching? Thats my private things. You did not rude but please do not mean that again "If you are not giving your info to NSA or if you are trying to hide..you maybe terrorist" This is what I understand. Sorry.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I am also not terrorist and I am and my people are also fighting against them.
My goverment and NSA maybe know my name, my photo, my college and so on... I am just trying to keep "my data" private! That's the very tiny and hard to get point. You can know my name too "Yigido" :) but do you know that where I am surfing, what I am searching? That's my private things. You did not rude but please do not mean that again "If you are not giving your info to NSA or if you are trying to hide..you maybe terrorist" This is what I understand. Sorry.
Sorry again if i was rude. :oops: I don't care about your name or what you do or even your nickname, your life is your life and you can do whatever you want with it unless you hurt other people's life. I was just saying that Google is not a person reviewing your private life. They might for example put your photo from Google Photos in a frame or change some effects for the picture to be better or backup your contacts list in case you lose your phone. You get it. Automated unless someone reports you to Google for being a threat.

Reactions: yigido

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
So now I'm gonna see ads with my adblocker enabled... Oh no, wait, I'm using Adguard ;) :p

Now more serious, I don't think this is a good move by Adblock Plus. They will lose a lot of users because of this. If there weren't a lot of alternatives, you could say that this is a good 'marketing' move, but right now every unhappy user will go further with Adguard or Ublock or something else. With all the other players in the adblocking field, there is not a single reason to keep ABP if you don't agree with their latest move.
Adblock plus was also the first adblocker I used and that must be about 3-4 years ago. But slightly I got more and more ads popping up despite it was activated fully. With Adguard I don't have this. I rather whitelist the sites I trust and where I don't mind they get some money from ads and I can live with the fact that there is a kind of a allow acceptable ads, because for some websites the money they get for ads makes them surviving, but it's good (and necessary) you freely have the option turn that off (adguard also have this). But now ABP is going one step to far in my opinion. First they are getting a lot of users with blocking everything and now they have a big userbase, they come back on what they stand for: blocking all kinds of ads and not replacing with other ads. People use adblockers because they don't want to see ads in the first place...

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

So now I'm gonna see ads with my adblocker enabled... Oh no, wait, I'm using Adguard ;) :p

Now more serious, I don't think this is a good move by Adblock Plus. They will lose a lot of users because of this. If there weren't a lot of alternatives, you could say that this is a good 'marketing' move, but right now every unhappy user will go further with Adguard or Ublock or something else. With all the other players in the adblocking field, there is not a single reason to keep ABP if you don't agree with their latest move.
Adblock plus was also the first adblocker I used and that must be about 3-4 years ago. But slightly I got more and more ads popping up despite it was activated fully. With Adguard I don't have this. I rather whitelist the sites I trust and where I don't mind they get some money from ads and I can live with the fact that there is a kind of a allow acceptable ads, because for some websites the money they get for ads makes them surviving, but it's good (and necessary) you freely have the option turn that off (adguard also have this). But now ABP is going one step to far in my opinion. First they are getting a lot of users with blocking everything and now they have a big userbase, they come back on what they stand for: blocking all kinds of ads and not replacing with other ads. People use adblockers because they don't want to see ads in the first place...
RIght now when you install AdBlock Plus they tell you about this if i remember and they tell you that you can turn acceptable ads off. I guess that they will ask you in the future even more clearly.

Reactions: kev216
Y

yigido

Sorry again if i was rude. :oops: I don't care about your name or what you do or even your nickname, your life is your life and you can do whatever you want with it unless you hurt other people's life. I was just saying that Google is not a person reviewing your private life. They might for example put your photo from Google Photos in a frame or change some effects for the picture to be better or backup your contacts list in case you lose your phone. You get it. Automated unless someone reports you to Google for being a threat.
No problem dont feel bad. You were not rude. We are friends. :)
In fact, I prefer a human to check my informations :) It is better than AI (Artificial intelligence)..
The robots (AI) are smarter than humans. Even some says they will take control of the world.
The AI can learn "machine-learning", analyze your data, it can create plans about you and solve you.
It sounds dangerous to me. Even this thing can predict your future actions and AI has ability to manipulate your content on the web while surfing. So the NSA or goverment itself can show you whatever they want..and you will only see their contents
As I said, it is a matter of choice and our privacy is limited while we are online. :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
History to near future :

Advertisers pays 5$ to website to show their ads
Advertisers pays 2$ to website to show their ads and 3$ to Adblocker not to block their ads
Advertisers pays 2$ to website to show their ads and Adblocker asks final users to be paid a 0,5$ for enabling the option to accept the certain ads. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.