Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What is Adblock Plus? What can it do?

Adblock Plus is an extension for Firefox, Thunderbird, and several other applications with the primary goal of removing advertisements. For that, it will look at all requests made by web pages and block the request if the address the request should go to matches a filter in Adblock Plus. Out of the box, Adblock Plus comes without any filters whatsoever but will offer to add a filter subscription on first start — that is a list of filters maintained by other Adblock Plus users and will be updated automatically regularly. A filter subscription can be added later as well (see Choosing a filter subscription), but you can also create your own filters regardless of whether you use a filter subscription.

Blocking requests is limited to removing advertisements that are technically not part of the web page but downloaded separately. Because of that limitation, there is also an additional mechanism called "element hiding" which allows hiding parts of web pages based on some unique properties. The disadvantage here is that even hidden elements are still downloaded and require processing time in the browser. Also, creating element hiding rules is more complicated because you have to select the right set of properties — only the elements that need to be hidden should have those, not the required page content. Element Hiding Helper extension makes this task easier, yet creating good element hiding rules still requires much experimenting.

Link

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
For Chrome users here is the best way to block ads.

https://sites.google.com/a/qux.us/abpc/

This is NOT officially supported and only a proof of concept. You need Chrome 15 beta or higher with about:flags experimental extensions API enabled.

Thanky ou James.

Reactions: Domelo

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
I am using adguard - adblock chrome extension, but I don't really know about adding filters and updating them. If you know anything about that, I'll be waiting for your support. Also, I'd like to know about adding filters into adblock and adblock plus. Any help will be appreciated.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
I am using adguard - adblock chrome extension, but I don't really know about adding filters and updating them. If you know anything about that, I'll be waiting for your support. Also, I'd like to know about adding filters into adblock and adblock plus. Any help will be appreciated.

You can add your own filters to Adblock Plus by going to Settings and clicking the "Add your own filter" tab. :)

Reactions: Domelo

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
You can add your own filters to Adblock Plus by going to Settings and clicking the "Add your own filter" tab. :)

I know that, but what command line should I give for filters? Any idea about that?
Note: I am using adblock plus chrome extension and few others at the moment.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I have used adblock & adblock plus, Facts are that adblock works better than adblock plus but adblock uses more memory.To me the name adblock plus stands for block 40% plus let 60% in.B welcome to the future (Adguard Adblocker) configure properly & it works better than the rest.But for guy's that like nit picking then use adblock plus. IT IS what IT IS:cool:

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
I have used adblock & adblock plus, Facts are that adblock works better than adblock plus but adblock uses more memory.To me the name adblock plus stands for block 40% plus let 60% in.B welcome to the future (Adguard Adblocker) configure properly & it works better than the rest.But for guy's that like nit picking then use adblock plus. IT IS what IT IS:cool:

Thanks for this bulk of information btw. Can you please tell me the simplest ways to add filters into my adguard - adblock chrome extension? I did read the details, but they seem to be confusing. I actually want to compare addition of filters and their command lines for adblock, adblock plus and adguard. Your help will surely give me way to compile my report. Thanks in advance :)

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for the generous help. One more question: Any idea of how many adblock chrome filters and what types of filters can we add?

You're welcome. ^^
I cannot say anything about the quantity of the filters, unfortunately. I'm sure there's plenty of space for you to work with. As the documentation stated, you can block one specific banner, more OR every banner on the specified site (not recommended).

The most trivial filter you can define is of course the address of banner you want to block. However, often this address changes every time you open a page. For example it could be http://example.com/ads/banner123.gif where 123 is a random number. Here blocking the complete address won't help you, you need a more general filter — like http://example.com/ads/banner*.gif. Or maybe even http://example.com/ads/*.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for this bulk of information btw. Can you please tell me the simplest ways to add filters into my adguard - adblock chrome extension? I did read the details, but they seem to be confusing. I actually want to compare addition of filters and their command lines for adblock, adblock plus and adguard. Your help will surely give me way to compile my report. Thanks in advance :)

No need to add stuff to Adguard adblocker b it just works once configured properly, real thing have not had any ad problems since this app land on the seen.;)
Adguard is often compared with well-known browser-extensions - Adblock and Adblock Plus.

Adguard’s advantages are largely due to the limitations that are imposed on browser-based extensions. Adblock and Adblock Plus technologically are not able to remove all the ads on the page. That’s because Adguard processes page even before it is loaded into the browser, removing all advertising elements. Extensions work on a different principle - advertising banners hide only after they are loaded onto the page. If you've ever used Adblock, then you surely noticed how the hiding banners “blink”.
Adguard can block ads in Skype, uTorrent and many other common programs.
Adguard seriously increases the security of your computer on the network.
Perhaps the most important of them is the Phishing Filter. Operation of this module is built on the use of constantly updated blacklists of malicious and phishing sites. Adguard uses the two main sources. First is the list of Google Safe Browsing. Second is Adguard’s own blacklists. We are constantly monitoring data on the safety of websites and quickly improve our filters.
The thing is, adblock (plus) start(s) consuming more and more as soon as you open more pages. Adguard doesn't.

There is popular misconception that Adblock and Adblock Plus almost do not consume resources. But is it really so?

To check this we will use the Task Manager in Google Chrome browser.

public.php

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I tested it some websites & adblock blocks a bit more ads then adguard, adblock plus extension specially in G+ & also Adguard sometimes mess with my G+ hangout which i don't like but u prefer lighter extension then go with adguard.

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
You're welcome. ^^
I cannot say anything about the quantity of the filters, unfortunately. I'm sure there's plenty of space for you to work with. As the documentation stated, you can block one specific banner, more OR every banner on the specified site (not recommended).

Yes, you're absolutely right. Anyway, thanks for your help

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
No need to add stuff to Adguard adblocker b it just works once configured properly, real thing have not had any ad problems since this app land on the seen.;)
Adguard is often compared with well-known browser-extensions - Adblock and Adblock Plus.

Adguard’s advantages are largely due to the limitations that are imposed on browser-based extensions. Adblock and Adblock Plus technologically are not able to remove all the ads on the page. That’s because Adguard processes page even before it is loaded into the browser, removing all advertising elements. Extensions work on a different principle - advertising banners hide only after they are loaded onto the page. If you've ever used Adblock, then you surely noticed how the hiding banners “blink”.
Adguard can block ads in Skype, uTorrent and many other common programs.
Adguard seriously increases the security of your computer on the network.
Perhaps the most important of them is the Phishing Filter. Operation of this module is built on the use of constantly updated blacklists of malicious and phishing sites. Adguard uses the two main sources. First is the list of Google Safe Browsing. Second is Adguard’s own blacklists. We are constantly monitoring data on the safety of websites and quickly improve our filters.
The thing is, adblock (plus) start(s) consuming more and more as soon as you open more pages. Adguard doesn't.

There is popular misconception that Adblock and Adblock Plus almost do not consume resources. But is it really so?

To check this we will use the Task Manager in Google Chrome browser.

public.php

Terry, your answers are always very elaborating and thought-provoking about adblocker chrome filters and extensions. I don't know how to say big thanks to you.You really solved my problem. Once again, many thanks for being so cooperative.

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
I tested it some websites & adblock blocks a bit more ads then adguard, adblock plus extension specially in G+ & also Adguard sometimes mess with my G+ hangout which i don't like but u prefer lighter extension then go with adguard.

Man, Terry is a genius when it comes to adblock extensions. You can also check out his latest response to my query to have better idea about the right choice. I hope it will solve your problems too. Good Luck!

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Man, Terry is a genius when it comes to adblock extensions. You can also check out his latest response to my query to have better idea about the right choice. I hope it will solve your problems too. Good Luck!
I'm using adblock & never see any ad. I tested adblock plus before but it failed to block yt ads as many user complaints it, i saw it user reviews. SO i have my own idea about adblock extensions coz i tested & tried it. thnx :D

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
I'm using adblock & never see any ad. I tested adblock plus before but it failed to block yt ads as many user complaints it, i saw it user reviews. SO i have my own idea about adblock extensions coz i tested & tried it. thnx :D

I don't think user ratings are the reliable sources to judge the credibility of any product, because product owners spend lots of money to propagate their brands and products and usually it happens that they hire people from different countries through outsourcing platforms to write reviews for them. You can see a lot of such examples on oDesk, Elance, Freelancer and many other such portals. On the contrary, if you're satisfied with the adblocker you use, that's alright because it's your own choice. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.