Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Hi again guys. A new war :p. I can't decide between these two adblockers for Chrome.

- Adblock:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=es

- Adblock Plus:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?hl=es

It seems that Adblock is developed originally for Chrome, and Adblock Plus had more problems for adapt it (it comes from Firefox version and it was beta until few months)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ABD + Like Umbra noted even though I get that annoying ABD+ startup page on Chrome every once in a while.No matter what I do seems to always come back

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
exterminator20 said:
ABD + Like Umbra noted even though I get that annoying ABD+ startup page on Chrome every once in a while.No matter what I do seems to always come back

Same here! It's a bit annoying. Trying Adblock now

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
I noticed a small page loading speed improvement in favor of AdBlock and since then switched from ABP.
It might as well be placebo, I would like to hear anyone else's opinion on this matter.

Anyways, they're both great extensions. You should try them and see which one do you like more.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Apart from the stable release of AdBlock Plus for Chrome, There is the Development build which provides better blocking of elements, Instead of just letting them load secretly under a hidden white square element (meaning ads still load and waste your bandwidth, page loading times effected) and behaves like Firefox's AdBlock Plus which prevents them from loading at all providing real blocking, saved bandwidth, cleaner and faster loading times.

If you're interested in trying out the Development build version direct yourself to this page.

You will have to make sure to enable Experimental Extension APIs in chrome://flags within your Chrome, Screenshot related.

Qm8Sa7T.png

In my testing this beats AdBlock and the stable version of AdBlock Plus.

Thanks. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Don't really use Chrome, but if I did Adblock Plus would have to be the product that I would use. Great product and reliable, not saying Adblock isn't just I haven't tried that to say anything about it. :)

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Biozfear said:
How stable is the Development version for you MrXidus?

I'm trying the Development version and it works very well! Faster than Adblock (especially refreshing pages), less RAM usage and no problems...

Thanks MrXidus :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Biozfear said:
How stable is the Development version for you MrXidus?

I've been using the Development build since mid 2012 with no issues or problems related to it.

Seems quite stable in my opinion. How ever as usual every PC is different and you or someone else might very well experience issues.

Malakke said:
I'm trying the Development version and it works very well! Faster than Adblock (especially refreshing pages), less RAM usage and no problems...

Thanks MrXidus :)

Glad I could help.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
The main reason I like adblock more is it blocks facebook ads which adblock + doesn't cause I just tried it again yesterday

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does this require the Experimental Extension APIs to be enabled? And will 'blocking more than Ads', remain an optional feature?

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
does they making their own new URL filter, or using other companies database???
anyone have any idea, can a video review possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.