Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Hi again guys. A new war :p. I can't decide between these two adblockers for Chrome.

- Adblock:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=es

- Adblock Plus:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?hl=es

It seems that Adblock is developed originally for Chrome, and Adblock Plus had more problems for adapt it (it comes from Firefox version and it was beta until few months)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Adblock and Adblock Plus are using subscription database that made from other organization websites even the malware blocking which made by a specific domain site too.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
Does this require the Experimental Extension APIs to be enabled? And will 'blocking more than Ads', remain an optional feature?

No, the development page does not say that Experimental Extension APIs to be enabled anymore.

I'm not sure as this is the development build, everything is subject to change.

tapoo said:
does they making their own new URL filter, or using other companies database???
anyone have any idea, can a video review possible??

For now it's just 3rd party from EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Fanboy and DNS-BH – Malware Domain Blocklist.

firestr001

Level 2
Jul 22, 2012
Though I dont use chrome much I Like Ghostery it blocks all effectively and it my preference even for chrome but ghostery ease of use isnt that good as compared to firefox

N

Nige_40

I've Used ABP + for sometime and I found it OK. Then I went to Adblock and I had a good test.

So for me I find Adblock better for me. Adblock plus used to block this site I have to use, and the only way I use it was to filter ABP+ and Pause it.

So I gone back to Adblock and I can use this site with no problems.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
well i do not use Google Chrome and neither Adblock or Adblock Plus Chrome, but i do use SRWare Iron and Ad Muncher Premium to block ad my ads.

once addmuncher messes up with network connection after using it from more then 1 month. like if i not launch admuncher my browser will run slow & sometimes i can't connect to net. so i kicked it out :D

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
once addmuncher messes up with network connection after using it from more then 1 month. like if i not launch admuncher my browser will run slow & sometimes i can't connect to net. so i kicked it out :D

Perhaps, you're right, because I am also experiencing the same issue too. For adblock chrome, I now have two options:

1. Adblock Plus
2. AdGuard.com

Please let me know which one to select as I am totally blank about both of them. Your generous reply will surely be appreciated...

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Perhaps, you're right, because I am also experiencing the same issue too. For adblock chrome, I now have two options:

1. Adblock Plus
2. AdGuard

Please let me know which one to select as I am totally blank about both of them. Your generous reply will surely be appreciated...

I just download adguard addon in chrome but it not provide full features so u need to download Addguard from their official site which is not free. If u want freeware then u can use adblock & customize it in option to get better adblocking experience. I tried adblock+ 3 months ago & it didn't blocked youtube adds so i move to adblock. don't know the current version of adblock+ blocks youtube ads or not. btw, adguard addon taking 80,000 + ram consumption & adblock taking 150,000-250,000 coz i added too many filters. if u want lighter then try adblock+

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I just download adguard addon in chrome but it not provide full features so u need to download Addguard from their official site which is not free. If u want freeware then u can use adblock & customize it in option to get better adblocking experience. I tried adblock+ 3 months ago & it didn't blocked youtube adds so i move to adblock. don't know the current version of adblock+ blocks youtube ads or not. btw, adguard addon taking 80,000 + ram consumption & adblock taking 150,000-250,000 coz i added too many filters. if u want lighter then try adblock+
Koroke San, do "..too many filters" = amount of subscriptions checked (in boxes)?o_O ..and if so, couldn't the number of "filters" be reduced?

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I had always been very happy with Adblock Plus and used it for years, as a "mainly Firefox" and (to a lesser extent) a Chrome user. Until recently I learned about Adblock Edge.

About this Add-on
Adblock Edge is a fork of the Adblock Plus version 2.1.2 extension for blocking advertisements on the web. This fork will provide the same features as Adblock Plus 2.X and higher but without "acceptable ads" feature. Adblock Edge was primarily branched off from Adblock Plus 2.1.2 source code package "http://adblockplus.org/downloads/adblockplus-2.1.2-source.tgz" created by Wladimir Palant.

...and I will stick with it, after reading other users reviews I found they were noticing similar things about Adblock Plus, such as subtlety allowing some ads to show, and removing the switches to make it harder to block elements like facebook "like" buttons. That's not to say that Adblock Plus is not still a great thing, it's the only plug in I have for IE! :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Koroke San, do "..too many filters" = amount of subscriptions checked (in boxes)?o_O ..and if so, couldn't the number of "filters" be reduced?
Coz i surfed many websites a day which are in german, chinese & other languages. Adblock can't block all of them ads but after adding different language filers, now it blocks more then before :D But i don't feel slowdown in web browsing though ;)

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014

Yes, you are right at your place, but there is a well-known saying that relates, "Availing a Free or Cheapest thing makes you cry over and over again, but the costly element makes you cry once only during its purchase." Isn't it? I've downloaded the Adguard addon and it is giving me 4 options:

1. block ads
2. Submit a complaint
3. Web security report
4. Adguard setting

Regarding the adblock plus, I have received so many complaints and have read a lot about it. So, i think I should better go for the premium version of Adguard - Adblock;which is gonna make me cry once during it's $29.99 or so purchase. What do you think?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.