Battle Adblock wars: uBlock vs Adblock vs Adblock Plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
What do you think is better and which one do you use? uBlock or Adblock plus or normal Adblock? Post below! :3

Template
Q: Which adblocker/adgaurd do you use if any?
A: I use <YOUR ADBLOCKER HERE>
Q:How long have you been using it for?
A: Almost X weeks/months/days/years/etc
Q:How would you rate uBlock from 0/10<YOUR ADBLOCKER HERE>
A: 10/10 - <YOUR ADBLOCKER HERE> is cool and you should try it.
P.S I use uBlock

- Flames J. Elite

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Adguard for Windows!
I use it for about 8 months and I can rate it 9/10 because it's not only adblocker but more complex tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: rienna

rienna

Level 2
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
I use the free Adguard browser extension (in Google chrome, also available for firefox, and a couple other browsers).
It's really light-weight and so far works perfectly. Especially the spyware/malware filters (even better than ABP "malware domain" filter seems to be better than Trafficlight even actually).

I also have the hpHOSTS optimized hosts file installed.
Which contains some adblocking of it's own along with it's malware, spyware, (etc) black lists.

riruan

Level 1
Verified
Nov 29, 2014
What is wrong with the existing uBlock build?
The original creator of ublock wanted to lighten his workload, so he handed the reigns over to one of his dev team. That member of the dev team then started linking to ublock via his site etc, saying he was the original creator of the extension and removing all traces of the names of the rest of the dev team and creator. Really weird/creepy move. Therefore the creator started ublockorigin (essentially the same code etc), but seperate from the guy who now has control of ublock.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/33vz9n/whats_with_the_drama_with_ublock_and_ublock/

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Personally use uBlock with Firefox. Using less than 2MB of RAM with 10 tabs open. Most of them have medium to heavy ads.

Reactions: LAGUN

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
What is wrong with the existing uBlock build?
It works just fine. Raymond's "new" uBlock breaks too many sites. All this dust-up makes me wonder about Raymond's mental health. Quitting the project, giving it over to Chris and Alex, then starting a competing product, gripping about not making any money off the project but not putting a donate button on it - just a bit schizoid.
Back to ad-blockers in general, ticking the Fanboy Annoyance List blocks a lot of rubbish, should be default setting in all of these ad-blockers.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
On modern PC with more than 4GB RAM memory it is not memory that is the problem, more likely the high CPU usage when webpage is loading (crosschecking all entries in those filters that you are subscribed to).
So far, even on my old PC with 2 GB RAM ublocko has performed far better than other ad blockers.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
All the dev drama aside, I'm finding little difference between UBlock and ABP really. As Vipersd states, performance is mostly about lists and their sizes. If you stick to just the two big ones such as Easy and Fanboy, both projects will do the job just fine. I was a member of Wilders for a while, where the UBlock devs mostly post. It seems to me the original dev got frustrated mostly with users constantly requesting more technical features being put in there and wanting very specific abilities to deal with very specific situations. He was warned that would happen when he started UMatrix, and sure enough it did.

It's extremely difficult at times to balance the needs of pro and "simple" users I think. You can't move too far in either direction without upsetting one side or the other. ABP has its own drama, what with all the paid white listing and other issues. Personal projects implode from within, and corporate affairs will always include some eyebrow raising. You just have to try to filter out all the noise and go with what you trust more and what seems to work best for you.

Emers

May 12, 2015
On Chrome i prefer AdBlock(aka Betafish Adblocker) instead of AdBlock Plus because it have more tools for blocking and blocks some stuff that AdBlock Plus usually doesnt and some extra ads on unknown web sites.

As for Firefox i liked UBlock more then AdBlockPlus because Firefox Ublock is more RAM friendly.

One of oldest Adver and AdBlocking programs is AdMuncher which is free now. There is also much more software for blocking ads like AdGuard,AdBlock Super,AdBlock Pro but i havent tested them

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I would advise staying away from AdMuncher at this point. The software is safe, but development and support is pretty much gone. Jeff is still around watching over the program list, but the main dev basically packed up and left after far too many empty promises.

Reactions: riruan

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I'm currently using the Adguard extension and I am happy with it. I found it to be more effective than Adblock plus, which I used months ago. Never used ublock before, but might give it a try in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.