Advice Request Adding Group Policy Editor To Windows 10 Home

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Depends on how clean that file is. But it should be safe. An alternative is to buy a 10 Pro or Enterprise key from ebay. They usually work and they are just left over keys for computers that had a free upgrade offer but got thrown out by a big company. Spend no more than $5-6 on a key. Once activated you should never have to worry about it again since the key is now tied to your motherboard.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Depends on how clean that file is. But it should be safe. An alternative is to buy a 10 Pro or Enterprise key from ebay. They usually work and they are just left over keys for computers that had a free upgrade offer but got thrown out by a big company. Spend no more than $5-6 on a key. Once activated you should never have to worry about it again since the key is now tied to your motherboard.
I can confirm.
Bought mine last year for around $3 and have no issues with the key. It's linked to my MS account so don't have to worry about activation (I reinstalled my system at least two times since then).

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I can confirm.
Bought mine last year for around $3 and have no issues with the key. It's linked to my MS account so don't have to worry about activation (I reinstalled my system at least two times since then).
Tied to your MS account, that sounds nice. I didn't know this before.

Even Enterprise version can be get for that cheap? Wow.

But aside from these, it would be nice if someone could make Applocker and other enterprise security features port available for Home version. Although I probably wouldn't use anyway.

Reactions: frogboy and DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Tied to your MS account, that sounds nice. I didn't know this before.

Even Enterprise version can be get for that cheap? Wow.

But aside from these, it would be nice if someone could make Applocker and other enterprise security features port available for Home version. Although I probably wouldn't use anyway.
Honestly I tried those Enterprise features and turned them off after an hour. The way it is implemented is way too complicated for the average joe and the security features take up too much CPU cycles, cause too many bugs in Windows, not even programs, conflicts with other security programs, the list of reasons not to turn them on is long unfortunately. If I turn them on, my laptop (i7-4700 MQ) idles at 5%. When I turn them off, my laptop idles at 0-1%. I can now see why Microsoft has not ported those security features. People would most likely complain about them and turn them off.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Have you tried this tool instead?
Fleex255/PolicyPlus
It's open source and portable.

Special considerations for use on Home editions

Some administrative templates are present by default on these editions, but many are missing. The newest full package can be downloaded from Microsoft and installed with Help | Acquire ADMX Files.

The RefreshPolicyEx native function does nothing on editions without full Group Policy infrastructure, so while Policy Plus can edit the local GPO and apply the changes to the Registry, a reboot or logon/logoff cycle is required for most policy changes to take effect.

While the UI allows the creation and editing of per-user GPOs, their settings are ignored by these limited editions of Windows. Edit per-user Registry hives instead.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
could i buy a key for ~ $5 for windows 7 and install it. i have windows 10. it has a lot of problems.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.