AdGuard Blog: Chrome Manifest V3 is looming over us. Where do we stand?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Over four years ago, in early 2019, the Google Chrome team announced ground-shaking changes to the browser extensions platform, known as “Manifest V3.”

We’ve repeatedly discussed the potential problems these changes might cause:
Initially, Manifest V3 was met with significant negativity by nearly everyone, from the developer community (not just ad blockers developers) to users who were fearful of the consequences of implementing a more restrictive and, frankly, raw and buggy platform.

Fortunately, the Chrome team paused the implementation of Manifest V3 until all major bugs and developer concerns are addressed. If you follow the link above, you’ll see that this moment is almost upon us. By the release of Chrome 120, all major issues are expected to be resolved, which means the integration of Manifest V3 is drawing nearer, and it’s time to discuss the current state of affairs.

Over the past few years, I have frequently been asked how Manifest V3 will affect browser extensions. I will try to structure this post as a list of answers to the most common questions on this topic.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What do I do?
You wait until MV3 rolls out and then choose between µBO Lite or Adguard MV3. Ghostery will also have an MV3 version and supposedly Privacy Badger will too, but I've seen no reports of the latter's development. You can also supplement a browser extension with a configurable DNS service like NextDNS.

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Example of a Windows policy for Chrome/Chromium (.reg file):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Chromium] "ExtensionManifestV2Availability"=dword:00000002 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome] "ExtensionManifestV2Availability"=dword:00000002

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.