Advice Request Adguard & everything about it

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well not really at all, likely because Adguard among others maintains the overall purpose to block advertisement meanwhile other filters will be on user preferences to avoid any troubles. One of the concrete example will be the filters of social networking sites which excluded by default because of possible issues for some users.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I mean Adguard desktop. And I am not talking about Stealth. I am talking about normal privacy blocking that other blockers like uBlock has enabled by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
We just didn't want to risk and turn it on by default in the first release.

It is now 2 months since the release and we've got loads of different reports on issues caused by Stealth Mode.

So now we know which stealth mode options are likely to cause troubles.
In the next version we will change some of stealth mode options to fix it.

1. Blocking third party cookies
It may sometimes cause troubles with websites authorization. Especially when the website uses some complex multi-domain authorization.

So, in the next AG version, instead of simply blocking third-party cookies we will introduce a new option: self-destructing cookies. Third party cookies lifetime will be limited by N minutes (user defined, 30 minutes by default).

2. Hiding user agent
We have made a mistake here. By default we use some hard coded user agent of a chromium/linux browser. This may mess with some websites functionality. For instance, when you use IE11 and set this option on, youtube starts complaining on your browser.

Instead of this we should use the user agent of the same browser/OS, but strip it from everything non-standard.

3. Hiding IP address
We now use some hardcoded IP address of some TOR node. This IP address is often blacklisted.

So, we should not use a TOR node IP by default. Also user should be able to set any IP manually.

4. There is no easy way to disable stealth mode only for a website
This is just wrong. There should be an easy way to turn stealth mode off for a website without disabling other modules.

In the next version we will introduce a simple configurable whitelist.

Upvote 0

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
@avatar
I hope you'll implement http/2 compatibility sooner rather than later. "End of the year" is rather late, for me. :)
Too Late for me too. I found Adguard 6 Premium far too problematic so, despite having a 12 month licence, I switched back to the free uBlock Origin. No issues and far more transparent and user friendly than Adguard, and very simple to create local rules with the excellent advanced user mode enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
We just didn't want to risk and turn it on by default in the first release.

Sorry my mistake.

It was typo. I meant I am not talking about stealth mode. I am talking about normal privacy protection...guess in Adguard its called spyware protection.

I have no prob its off by default. Just thinking if its off by default coz could break sites?

Upvote 0

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
I have no prob its off by default. Just thinking if its off by default coz could break sites?

In fact spyware filter is pretty good, it won't break websites (of course sometimes it does, but no more than any other filter).

I guess you are talking about a situation when user has skipped "getting started" tutorial.

That's a good question.

On one hand, if user skipped the tutorial he or she could be unaware of this feature.
On the other hand, unlike blocking social media, this won't remove any interactive elements from websites.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
In fact spyware filter is pretty good, it won't break websites (of course sometimes it does, but no more than any other filter).

I guess you are talking about a situation when user has skipped "getting started" tutorial.

That's a good question.
Yes I am talking about defaults & skipping getting started tuts means defaults.

We had quite a long conversation on Wilders in Adguard thread to change getting started wizard but I couldn't convince you.

Upvote 0

Tempnexus

Level 3
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Honestly I love the new Adguard Stealth mode and setting my browser last session to FBI.gov. Then visiting my friend's private corporation site. I have been visiting that site about 10 times per day for the past month...only recently my friend has begun showing the signs of acting paranoid. He gets the weekly google ad visit summary and he keeps seeing FBI as one of the visitors...and a constant visitor. Ahh the good times.

I don't know what to change it to next...maybe some Islamic ISIS site.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.