Advice Request AdGuard for Windows vs uBo

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AdGuard for Windows vs uBlock Origin

• AdGuard for Windows

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • uBlock Origin

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Why don't you like rule-based blocking?
The rules I showed, are too strict and often need whitelisting. I prefer well balanced filterlists, especially the optimized Adguard filters and Kees1958 filter. The only rule I would use as a kind of backstop is: ||*^$domain=~com|~inf|~io|~ms|~net|~nl|~org,script,third-party (I admit it is rather amateurish)
In this rule is 'nl' the tld-extension of my country.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I'm sorry, but I wrote "kind of disadvantage" so easier to understand as no real fact ;)
My intention was nothing like to bash Adguard. Honestly, long time ago, I have been purchased a lifetime of Adguard (3 devices) but prefer using on mobile only these days.
Ok I just understood it the other way around and found it confusing (for me):D

permar4

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2017
I have a problem with adguard for pc, it has peaks of high CPU consumption when downloading large files.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure if this uBlock Origin Suggested Settings – 12Bytes.org was yet posted ?:unsure:
Are these settings really good for improving µBlock ?
I think they recommend too many 'annoyances' filterlists which would cause breakage of social media. I would stick with the default uBO settings and lists, adding just uBO Annoyances, the malware and phishing lists (if you don't use a malware-blocking DNS), and Fanboy Cookie list if you find cookie notices are irritating. Feel free to add my very small Grayware Blocklist too, at Filterlist/Filterlist.txt at master · VernonStow/Filterlist

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I think they recommend too many 'annoyances' filterlists which would cause breakage of social media. I would stick with the default uBO settings and lists, adding just uBO Annoyances, the malware and phishing lists (if you don't use a malware-blocking DNS), and Fanboy Cookie list if you find cookie notices are irritating. Feel free to add my very small Grayware Blocklist too, at Filterlist/Filterlist.txt at master · VernonStow/Filterlist
Thanks @South Park
Grayware Blocklist just added ;)
For cookies you mean "EasyList Cookie" ?
Capture.PNG

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
So what do you guys use to circumvent "Adblock detected" messages on websites. I did try uBlock filters-Annoyances before, but it doesn't seem to work.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Reactions: JB007 and Moonhorse
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I'm not sure if this uBlock Origin Suggested Settings – 12Bytes.org was yet posted ?:unsure:
Are these settings really good for improving µBlock ?
Nope, better use Next DNS, quad9, Cloudflare family (1.1.12) for bad URL protection. Always disable these tiny filters (compared to the blocklists at DNS level) with a useless update interval. When you are not using Next DNS* and living in Europe or North America you could add my bad domain blocklist (top level domains often used by Scamware, Phising and Malware)
* Next DNS has an option to block TLD's with bad reputation and non-latin character TLD's

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

So what do you guys use to circumvent "Adblock detected" messages on websites. I did try uBlock filters-Annoyances before, but it doesn't seem to work.
You could try to disable javascript for that website (but that only displays static content, no videos or clips).

Reactions: Moonhorse and JB007

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
+1 for uBlock Origin, because it is easier to add Custom Lists at Once
compare with AdGuard for Windows.

Reactions: gigi adi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.