Advice Request uBo or AdGuard + NoScript

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

uBlock Origin vs AdGuard + NoScript

• uBlock Origin

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • AdGuard + NoScript

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm interested in you thoughts on this one, because I genuinely do not know. Assuming all the filtersets are the same, would you prefer uBo in medium mode or AdGuard + NoScript? Essentially, this comes down to the connection blocking capabilities of uBo's medium mode versus those of NoScript (since ad/tracker lists are identical for both uBo and Adguard) I don't know that I like the idea of putting too much into a singular basket, but I could just be over-thinking this Right? Am I just dumb?

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I like uBo. But an issue for me is that uBo in medium mode gives no indication on whether or not there's a rule made for a particular site, since there's no text and just red a nd gray squares. Light red, dark red, light gray, and dark grey all mean something different. With NoScript that's not the case. It clearly says if a site is untrusted or trusted, there's no guess work involved. If I did not create the trust rule it's untrusted by default. With uBo, since there's also the filters to consider, who knows if I made the rule or not.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
But an issue for me is that uBo in medium mode gives no indication on whether or not there's a rule made for a particular site, since there's no text and just red a nd gray squares. Light red, dark red, light gray, and dark grey all mean something different.
Everything you want to know about blocked items you can find in the logger. Look at: The logger · gorhill/uBlock Wiki

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm using Adguard Desktop Client and I'm really satisfied by it. The desktop client enables for easy use of NextDNS and Control D and easy of switching between them and it allows me to have filtering enabled system wide and not just in the browser.

Agreed. I very much like it too. However, I did come across something interesting. Below is the results of a test I ran that supposedly tests adblockers (see here). AdGuard for Windows is clearly running and blocking things, as you can see from the filter log. The legacy assistant is also there in Vivaldi's lower right hand side. So it is working. However the test results in a 0%. I don't understand why.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 142123.png

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Another thing worth mentioning is that with uBo, I can have a site allow rule while at the same time having that same site denied a custom user rule. If I run, for example, the site test I ran earlier, you'll see that the site's connections are allowed because they are allowed in uBo's medium mode even if they are denied in uBo's "My filters". Getting specific:

My Rules:

Code:
twitter.com cdn-apple.com * noop
twitter.com twimg.com * noop
twitter.com twitter.com * noop
* ads-twitter.com * block
d3ward.github.io ads-twitter.com * block
d3ward.github.io static.ads-twitter.com * block
d3ward.github.io twitter.com * block
d3ward.github.io ads-api.twitter.com * block
d3ward.github.io advertising.twitter.com * block

You can see that some of twitter is allowed using this rule method.

My Filters:

Code:
||ads-api.twitter.com^
||advertising.twitter.com^
||ads-twitter.com^

And here you see twitter denied using my filters. Which one takes over? It's not deny by default. Using this method I fail the test, even though I have the blocklist created by the developer as a cheat.

One rule aspect says block, yet the other says allow. This is why I'm doubting uBo. It seems like a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Obviously the test doesn't reflect real world, I'm just using it to illustrate my point.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
F

ForgottenSeer 95367

I'm interested in you thoughts on this one, because I genuinely do not know. Assuming all the filtersets are the same, would you prefer uBo in medium mode or AdGuard + NoScript? Essentially, this comes down to the connection blocking capabilities of uBo's medium mode versus those of NoScript (since ad/tracker lists are identical for both uBo and Adguard) I don't know that I like the idea of putting too much into a singular basket, but I could just be over-thinking this Right? Am I just dumb?
When you start to create script block rules on a per-site basis, you will quickly find that managing the rules becomes a huge headache.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
When you start to create script block rules on a per-site basis, you will quickly find that managing the rules becomes a huge headache.

Perhaps. But once you create those rules about what site elements can and cannot be made on any given site you are the one in control. Not anyone else. And let's nor pretend that people generally visit more than 60 sites with any kind of regularity. Once it's done, it's done.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
According to the ;dward' Ad Checker AdGuard for Windows recently blocks almost nothing, much less than AdGuard extension which works fine or just about anything else - Not sure what's happened & appreciate it's just a test but interesting? Wondered if anyone else has this issue? At moment using the AdGuard extension on Edge & built in system on Brave.

Edit:
Looks like user: n8chavez has the similar results?
DWard

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Agreed. I very much like it too. However, I did come across something interesting. Below is the results of a test I ran that supposedly tests adblockers (see here). AdGuard for Windows is clearly running and blocking things, as you can see from the filter log. The legacy assistant is also there in Vivaldi's lower right hand side. So it is working. However the test results in a 0%. I don't understand why.

View attachment 269635
If HTTPS filtering is working on Vivaldi as well as the filtering log, then don't worry about the results. Test sites like this can not provide a real world experience. They can misunderstand what's going on, probably due to HTTPS filtering.
A quote by an Adguard contributor regarding this site:
Sites like this do not reflect the actual effectiveness.
BTW, are you using the old version of the Adguard assistant extension? In that case, you should probably use the new one.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Initially I though something may be blocking AdGuard's effectiveness, such as Armor or my AV/O&O etc but I proved this was not the case, and there was a small point on the forum. :)

Reactions: SeriousHoax

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
BTW, are you using the old version of the Adguard assistant extension? In that case, you should probably use the new one.

I wish I could. But I can't. The newer versions, the actual extension assistant, does not allow for communication between itself and AdGuard for Windows when the browser is sandboxed with sandboxie. And there's no way I'd ever access the internet without that, ever.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.